Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8

bryan

Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8
Is anyone having a problem with IE8 and Yahoo Webmail? As of yesterday's
change in the Yahoo home page I cannot access Yahoo Webmail in IE8. My IE7
pc has no problem. I am running XP sp2, IE8, Kaspersky Internet Security 7,
Linkscanner and Spywareblaster. I am up-to-date on all software. The Yahoo
homepage loads fine and I do get the Yahoo Mail sign-in screen. When I log in
I get into Webmail, but it flashes and then gives me 'client-error'. I
cleared TIF's and rebooted but no progress.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan
VanguardLH

Re: Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8
bryan wrote:

> Is anyone having a problem with IE8 and Yahoo Webmail? As of yesterday's
> change in the Yahoo home page I cannot access Yahoo Webmail in IE8. My IE7
> pc has no problem. I am running XP sp2, IE8, Kaspersky Internet Security 7,
> Linkscanner and Spywareblaster. I am up-to-date on all software. The Yahoo
> homepage loads fine and I do get the Yahoo Mail sign-in screen. When I log in
> I get into Webmail, but it flashes and then gives me 'client-error'. I
> cleared TIF's and rebooted but no progress.

You're probably configured to use Yahoo's more complex AJAX-enabled web
pages. It's not an IE8 problem since I've seen the same fark over when
using IE7 with Yahoo Mail's AJAX web pages (i.e., their "All-New Mail"
interface). Even before I switched to IE8 and was still using IE7, I
had to get rid of their enamor with AJAX (especially after they acquired
Zimbra) which didn't work and switch back to the non-AJAX classic mode.
They still need work on handling the differences in javascript engines
in the different web browsers.

You need to switch to the classic view. Doesn't the failed page display
give you an option to switch to the simpler (classic) view? Besides,
their AJAX-enabled All-New Mail interface is noticeably slower to paint
and refresh. Fancy is nice but not when it makes you wait.
bryan

RE: Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8
Following the change in Yahoo's web site, I could not access Yahoo mail
because I had IE set to disable active x controls and plugins. When I enabled
this setting the problem was resolved, sort of. I have never allowed active x
controls and it has never been a problem until now. How can I continue to
keep active x controls and still use Yahoo webmail?

"bryan" wrote:

> Is anyone having a problem with IE8 and Yahoo Webmail? As of yesterday's
> change in the Yahoo home page I cannot access Yahoo Webmail in IE8. My IE7
> pc has no problem. I am running XP sp2, IE8, Kaspersky Internet Security 7,
> Linkscanner and Spywareblaster. I am up-to-date on all software. The Yahoo
> homepage loads fine and I do get the Yahoo Mail sign-in screen. When I log in
> I get into Webmail, but it flashes and then gives me 'client-error'. I
> cleared TIF's and rebooted but no progress.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

bryan

Re: Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8
Hi Vanguard,
Yes I can click on the link for 'use classic email', but I do not know
how long the Classic version will be supported. No plans to upgrade to
anything beyond XP sp3 for some time.

Thanks,

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> bryan wrote:
>
> > Is anyone having a problem with IE8 and Yahoo Webmail? As of yesterday's
> > change in the Yahoo home page I cannot access Yahoo Webmail in IE8. My IE7
> > pc has no problem. I am running XP sp2, IE8, Kaspersky Internet Security 7,
> > Linkscanner and Spywareblaster. I am up-to-date on all software. The Yahoo
> > homepage loads fine and I do get the Yahoo Mail sign-in screen. When I log in
> > I get into Webmail, but it flashes and then gives me 'client-error'. I
> > cleared TIF's and rebooted but no progress.

> You're probably configured to use Yahoo's more complex AJAX-enabled web
> pages. It's not an IE8 problem since I've seen the same fark over when
> using IE7 with Yahoo Mail's AJAX web pages (i.e., their "All-New Mail"
> interface). Even before I switched to IE8 and was still using IE7, I
> had to get rid of their enamor with AJAX (especially after they acquired
> Zimbra) which didn't work and switch back to the non-AJAX classic mode.
> They still need work on handling the differences in javascript engines
> in the different web browsers.
>
> You need to switch to the classic view. Doesn't the failed page display
> give you an option to switch to the simpler (classic) view? Besides,
> their AJAX-enabled All-New Mail interface is noticeably slower to paint
> and refresh. Fancy is nice but not when it makes you wait.
> .

Re: Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8
Contact Yahoo Support and ask them.

bryan wrote:
> Following the change in Yahoo's web site, I could not access Yahoo mail
> because I had IE set to disable active x controls and plugins. When I
> enabled this setting the problem was resolved, sort of. I have never
> allowed active x controls and it has never been a problem until now. How
> can I continue to keep active x controls and still use Yahoo webmail?
>
> "bryan" wrote:
>
>> Is anyone having a problem with IE8 and Yahoo Webmail? As of yesterday's
>> change in the Yahoo home page I cannot access Yahoo Webmail in IE8. My
>> IE7 pc has no problem. I am running XP sp2, IE8, Kaspersky Internet
>> Security 7, Linkscanner and Spywareblaster. I am up-to-date on all
>> software. The Yahoo homepage loads fine and I do get the Yahoo Mail
>> sign-in screen. When I log in I get into Webmail, but it flashes and then
>> gives me 'client-error'. I cleared TIF's and rebooted but no progress.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bryan

bryan

Re: Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8
Hi Robair,
Hope you are well. I sent Yahoo an email.

Take care,

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Contact Yahoo Support and ask them.
>
> bryan wrote:
> > Following the change in Yahoo's web site, I could not access Yahoo mail
> > because I had IE set to disable active x controls and plugins. When I
> > enabled this setting the problem was resolved, sort of. I have never
> > allowed active x controls and it has never been a problem until now. How
> > can I continue to keep active x controls and still use Yahoo webmail?
> >
> > "bryan" wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone having a problem with IE8 and Yahoo Webmail? As of yesterday's
> >> change in the Yahoo home page I cannot access Yahoo Webmail in IE8. My
> >> IE7 pc has no problem. I am running XP sp2, IE8, Kaspersky Internet
> >> Security 7, Linkscanner and Spywareblaster. I am up-to-date on all
> >> software. The Yahoo homepage loads fine and I do get the Yahoo Mail
> >> sign-in screen. When I log in I get into Webmail, but it flashes and then
> >> gives me 'client-error'. I cleared TIF's and rebooted but no progress.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Bryan

> .

bryan

Re: Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8
Yahoo Tech Support says that I must enable Active X controls or try another
browser. I may change to Firefox, but for the time being I will use Classic
Yahoo which works fine.

Thanks,

"bryan" wrote:

> Hi Robair,
> Hope you are well. I sent Yahoo an email.
>
> Take care,
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Contact Yahoo Support and ask them.
> >
> > bryan wrote:
> > > Following the change in Yahoo's web site, I could not access Yahoo mail
> > > because I had IE set to disable active x controls and plugins. When I
> > > enabled this setting the problem was resolved, sort of. I have never
> > > allowed active x controls and it has never been a problem until now. How
> > > can I continue to keep active x controls and still use Yahoo webmail?

> > .

G. R. Woodring

Re: Cannot access Yahoo Webmail under IE8
Firefox does not support Active X. Yahoo probably detects the browser and
serves the Classic style to Firefox. Since that is the solution you have
adopted in IE8 there isn't much to gain.

--
G. R. Woodring