iexplore has performed an illegal operation

André Bordeleau

iexplore has performed an illegal operation
Hi,

I just reformated my W98SE computer using the original Product Recovery CD.
Internet Explorer 5 gets installed.
I want to upgrade to IE6 through www.microsoft.com/downloads.

When I try to go on that website, I get the following message:
iexplore
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
Details:
iexplore caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167: bff
74347.

That message never appears when navigating on other websites. It seems to
happen only on any Microsoft websites.

Any idea why?

Thanks,
André

Donald Anadell

Re: iexplore has performed an illegal operation

"André Bordeleau" <arbordeleau@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just reformated my W98SE computer using the original Product Recovery
> CD. Internet Explorer 5 gets installed.
> I want to upgrade to IE6 through www.microsoft.com/downloads.
>
> When I try to go on that website, I get the following message:
> iexplore
> This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
> Details:
> iexplore caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167: bff
> 74347.
>
> That message never appears when navigating on other websites. It seems to
> happen only on any Microsoft websites.
>
> Any idea why?

Possibly a corrupted Pass Word List( .pwl) file.

Do a search for all *.pwl files on the machine and delete them, then reboot
the machine.

Reference Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187965

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thanks,
> André

André Bordeleau

Re: iexplore has performed an illegal operation
As you suggested Donald, I deleted the .pwl files and restarted the computer
with no change: I get the same "iexplore illegal operation message" when I
try to go on a Microsoft website. I wrote on my initial post: «That
message never appears when navigating on other websites.» Well, it's true
for a few websites I tried like Google and MSN, but on websites requiring
Adobe Flash Player for example, the illegal operation message appears with
an invalid page fault in the Flash module. I get a message to install Adobe
Flash Player, but since it seems that I can not install an appropriate
version with IE5 it is probably normal to get that message (looks like going
in a loop).

But what about a Microsoft website?
Why after clearing the .pwl files I can't open it?... No further
troubleshooting found on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187965

Any other suggestion?

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> a écrit dans le message de

> "André Bordeleau" <arbordeleau@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just reformated my W98SE computer using the original Product Recovery
>> CD. Internet Explorer 5 gets installed.
>> I want to upgrade to IE6 through www.microsoft.com/downloads.
>>
>> When I try to go on that website, I get the following message:
>> iexplore
>> This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
>> Details:
>> iexplore caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167: bff
>> 74347.
>>
>> That message never appears when navigating on other websites. It seems
>> to happen only on any Microsoft websites.
>>
>> Any idea why?

> Possibly a corrupted Pass Word List( .pwl) file.
>
> Do a search for all *.pwl files on the machine and delete them, then
> reboot the machine.
>
> Reference Article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187965
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

>> Thanks,
>> André

VanguardLH

André Bordeleau wrote:

> I just reformated my W98SE computer using the original Product Recovery CD.
> Internet Explorer 5 gets installed.
> I want to upgrade to IE6 through www.microsoft.com/downloads.
>
> When I try to go on that website, I get the following message:
> iexplore
> This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
> Details:
> iexplore caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167: bff
> 74347.
>
> That message never appears when navigating on other websites. It seems to
> happen only on any Microsoft websites.

IE6 has become something of the minimal version to display web sites for
the last couple of years. Earlier versions just can't display web sites
that well. I think Win2000 comes with IE4 and that won't even work with
Microsoft's Windows Update site.

Can you visit the following web page okay?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx

If not, its IE6 links take to the download page at:

While that download page will still paint okay if scripting is disable
within IE, it uses scripts to present the file for download. With
scripting disabled, the page paints okay but you can't get the download
file. You could see if you can link directly to the pointer to the file
to get downloaded by using:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/ie6setup.exe

That won't load a web page and instead just opens the download dialog.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: iexplore has performed an illegal operation

"André Bordeleau" <arbordeleau@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:8A4D6D15-84D8-475F-925C-74E938164D6B@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I just reformated my W98SE computer using the original Product Recovery CD.
> Internet Explorer 5 gets installed.
> I want to upgrade to IE6 through www.microsoft.com/downloads.
>
> When I try to go on that website, I get the following message:
> iexplore
> This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
> Details:
> iexplore caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167: bff
> 74347.
>

> That message never appears when navigating on other websites. It seems to
> happen only on any Microsoft websites.
>
> Any idea why?

Try disabling all BHO. In Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section
[uncheck] Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)

Report any change in symptoms.

---

> As you suggested Donald, I deleted the .pwl files and restarted the
> computer with no change: I get the same "iexplore illegal operation
> message" when I try to go on a Microsoft website. I wrote on my initial
> post: «That message never appears when navigating on other websites.»
> Well, it's true for a few websites I tried like Google and MSN, but on
> websites requiring Adobe Flash Player for example, the illegal operation
> message appears with an invalid page fault in the Flash module. I get a
> message to install Adobe Flash Player, but since it seems that I can not
> install an appropriate version with IE5 it is probably normal to get that
> message (looks like going in a loop).
>
> But what about a Microsoft website?
> Why after clearing the .pwl files I can't open it?... No further
> troubleshooting found on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187965
>
> Any other suggestion?

None, except to remind you that you are trying to navigate a 2009 Internet
with a 1999 OS, Browser, and Windows Script Host.

You might take the advice offered by VanguardLH in this thread and try the
direct download link for IE6.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> a écrit dans le message
> de news:eTSr0N8YKHA.5144@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "André Bordeleau" <arbordeleau@videotron.ca> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just reformated my W98SE computer using the original Product Recovery
>>> CD. Internet Explorer 5 gets installed.
>>> I want to upgrade to IE6 through www.microsoft.com/downloads.
>>>
>>> When I try to go on that website, I get the following message:
>>> iexplore
>>> This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
>>> Details:
>>> iexplore caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:
>>> bff 74347.
>>>
>>> That message never appears when navigating on other websites. It seems
>>> to happen only on any Microsoft websites.
>>>
>>> Any idea why?

>> Possibly a corrupted Pass Word List( .pwl) file.
>>
>> Do a search for all *.pwl files on the machine and delete them, then
>> reboot the machine.
>>
>> Reference Article:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187965
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> André

André Bordeleau

Re: iexplore has performed an illegal operation
Thank you very much "VanguardLH" for your link
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/ie6setup.exe
I could use it to install IE6 by transfering the file with a USB key (from
my Vista) and Internet Explorer 6 now works fine on the W98 machine!
I did all the Windows Updates with no problems, no more "illegal operation"
messages!

I am now in the process of getting Adobe Flash Player 9, but for some
unknown reason I can not access www.adobe.com
I had the same access problem for getting Adobe Reader 6.0, but I found a
direct link just like you gave me and I got it installed OK.
Hopefully I will find a similar solution for the Flash Player and/or the
reason of the "Page can not be displayed" with adobe.com

I know this W98 computer is minimal for web surfing... I don't use it, but
for the time being my sister is happy with it for emails, games and some web
surfing, until she gets a new computer!

Thanks everyone for your attention,
André

André Bordeleau wrote:

> I am now in the process of getting Adobe Flash Player 9, but for some
> unknown reason I can not access www.adobe.com Hopefully I will find
> a similar solution for the Flash Player and/or the reason of the
> "Page can not be displayed" with adobe.com

Adobe likes to use Flash on their home page. The problem is that their
scripts need some work. I've seen several hosts where problems were
found caused to the script used inside their Flash content. Is there an
entry in Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the current Flash Player?
Uninstall it. Then when you visit their home page, they detect that you
don't have their AX control and will instead present a non-Flash version
of their home page. You can then click on the links to go to their
Flash download page and see if it works to install it from there.

If the uninstall fails or is not listed in Add/Remove Programs, you can
get their uninstaller from:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

That page doesn't use Flash content so you might be able to display it.
If not, the link to their Windows uninstaller is:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...ash_player.exe

You can then visit their site while nude of their AX control to see if
you can then navigate their site and get the latest version installed.
André Bordeleau

Re: iexplore has performed an illegal operation
As far as I know, I had no flash player or something related installed,
nothing shown in Add/Remove Programs except for the Adobe Flash Player
Plug-in that I installed thinking it was an extractor like the IE6 you
provided me. I unistalled it.
Unable to display page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
I use the .exe file link you provided to download and transfert the file on
the W98 computer, as the latter is not configured to read this newsgroup: I
have not installed Windows Mail or configured Outlkook Express on it.
Hotmail is adequate for my sister, she says.

I ran the uninstall_flash_player.exe and it deleted the FlashUtil.exe file
with some others I think (?).
I then got the message: «The C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\FlashUtil.exe file expects a
newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version.»

I tried to access www.adobe.com and the page
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html with no success.

Do I really need to install Adobe Flash Player?... Will other player like
VLC Media Player or else do, if compatible with the W98 machine?