IE8 - cannot sent page or link by email

3Putt in Coastal SC

IE8 - cannot sent page or link by email
Since installing Windows 7 IE8 will not let by send a web page by link or
email. That selection is grayed out.
Any suggestions.

--
Bogey along the South Carolina Coast

Re: IE8 - cannot sent page or link by email
You'll find support for Windows Live Mail (WLMail) in this public newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

Via the web-interface:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop

Via your newsreader:
www.banthecheck.com

3Putt in Coastal SC wrote:
> Since installing Windows 7 IE8 will not let by send a web page by link or
> email. That selection is grayed out.
> Any suggestions.

3Putt in Coastal SC

Re: IE8 - cannot sent page or link by email
So you think it's a problem with WLM and not IE8? I waded through 5500 WLM
messages and saw no correlation.
It looks to me that IE8 assumes I have no email program.

> You'll find support for Windows Live Mail (WLMail) in this public
> newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
>
> Via the web-interface:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
>
> Via your newsreader:
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> 3Putt in Coastal SC wrote:
>> Since installing Windows 7 IE8 will not let by send a web page by link or
>> email. That selection is grayed out.
>> Any suggestions.

Robert Aldwinckle

"3Putt in Coastal SC" <bogey@theswamp.com> wrote in message news:eDWYl%23ZYKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> So you think it's a problem with WLM and not IE8?

More of a problem with W7 than anything I suspect.
You don't even have a separate IE8 in it, just an equivalent
level of browsing functionality.

> I waded through 5500 WLM
> messages and saw no correlation.

> It looks to me that IE8 assumes I have no email program.

There is no E-mail program in W7. ; )

Also (I just discovered) neither Vista nor W7 can re-register sendmail.dll
so I don't know when it would get set up or how. I have my doubts that
WLMail would do anything special for W7. <eg>
Fortunately Vista can use those options but it always has WinMail
pre-installed. Also, in my case I had Outlook installed in Vista earlier too.

BTW which W7? I have the same symptom with W7 RC + WLMail.
What's strange is that mailto: works...

Actually I'm not sure if I have the latest WLMail, probably not. Must check.
In fact, considering that, I bet I have had more recent updating of IE8 modules
than WLMail, so I should uninstall and reinstall WLMail (or at least repair it)
on principle. So I'll take the opportunity simply to uninstall Windows Live
Essentials, redownload them and reinstall them to be sure of both.

Also, sendmail.dll can still be re-registered in XPsp3, so I'm trying to see
if anything can be gleaned from a ProcMon trace of that or a ProcMon
trace of File, Send... being used in VistaSP2 + IE8 (where IE8 is a separate
product). I can't tell when all sendmail.dll changed. It looks like it's only
an OS module but it used to be distributed with IE.

BTW it looks like W7 has removed a lot more COM support from its .dll.
E.g. many modules can't be re-registered in it that used to be used
that way as repair suggestions. (I ran Kai's IE8-rereg.cmd file without
any of its /s (silent switches) during a safe mode command only boot to check.)
So I don't know what we are expected to do now for repairs. Maybe they have
made sfc /scannow more general and more reliable in it? Who knows? ; ]

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

>> You'll find support for Windows Live Mail (WLMail) in this public
>> newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
>>
>> Via the web-interface:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
>>
>> Via your newsreader:
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> 3Putt in Coastal SC wrote:
>>> Since installing Windows 7 IE8 will not let by send a web page by link or
>>> email. That selection is grayed out.
>>> Any suggestions.

Re: IE8 - cannot sent page or link by email
If Windows Live Mail is your default Mail Client in Win7, the experts in the
WLMail newsgroup should be able to assist you.

In the meantime, see...

Change default programs using Set Program Access and Computer Defaults:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...puter-Defaults

3Putt in Coastal SC wrote:
> So you think it's a problem with WLM and not IE8? I waded through 5500
> WLM
> messages and saw no correlation.
> It looks to me that IE8 assumes I have no email program.

>> You'll find support for Windows Live Mail (WLMail) in this public
>> newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
>>
>> Via the web-interface:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
>>
>> Via your newsreader:
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> 3Putt in Coastal SC wrote:
>>> Since installing Windows 7 IE8 will not let by send a web page by link
>>> or
>>> email. That selection is grayed out.
>>> Any suggestions.

Brit

RE: IE8 - cannot sent page or link by email
Found the solution!:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html