Internet explorer hangs and stalls

moonraker

Internet explorer hangs and stalls
Hi there, although I have used the newsgroups for over 6 or 8 years it's
been a couple since I've called in, so hello to all, and nice to see some
old names again...you all do a "great" job.

!, Do I understand right that MS are pulling out from helping these
newsgroups, I really hope I've got it all wrong!!!???

2, I am on Version 7.0.5730.13 Internet explorer with just the blank google
search page, a while ago it kept hanging whilst loading and searching. So
after looking on the net I disabled Google toolbar and I.E was mostly itself
again

My problem now is whilst it loads much quicker (around 10/15 sec from start
off and a few seconds to open a new window), it keeps stalling and hanging,
amoungst the faults are not loading a window and not loading after clicking
on a link, some times it just does not "see" the link at all when you hover
the curser over it, i.e the info does not show up in the bottom left hand
corner and therefore it does nothing if you click on the link (probable
because I.E has frozen in this window by then), and sometimes when clicking
on a link or opening a new window - it takes a few seconds to start loading
the green progress bars and then they load slowly one at a time until they
get to the middle (around 3/4 bars) and then stop. Sometimes when a window
has loaded although I can use the page, I notice that the green bars are
still showing - sometimes all of them but sometimes less than all, as though
it has not fully loaded.

Listed in manage add on are;-
Google toolbar etc - disabled

adobe pdf reader
avg safe search avg security toolbar
real. com
research
skype - not used!!
spybot
sun java console
windows live sign-in helper
windows messenger

Many thanks in advance and nice to be back

Steve

Re: Internet explorer hangs and stalls
No one from Microsoft "helps in these newsgroups." We're all volunteers.

Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your
next reply.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
www.banthecheck.com

moonraker wrote:
> Hi there, although I have used the newsgroups for over 6 or 8 years it's
> been a couple since I've called in, so hello to all, and nice to see some
> old names again...you all do a "great" job.
>
> !, Do I understand right that MS are pulling out from helping these
> newsgroups, I really hope I've got it all wrong!!!???
>
> 2, I am on Version 7.0.5730.13 Internet explorer with just the blank
> google
> search page, a while ago it kept hanging whilst loading and searching. So
> after looking on the net I disabled Google toolbar and I.E was mostly
> itself
> again
>
> My problem now is whilst it loads much quicker (around 10/15 sec from
> start
> off and a few seconds to open a new window), it keeps stalling and
> hanging,
> amoungst the faults are not loading a window and not loading after
> clicking
> on a link, some times it just does not "see" the link at all when you
> hover
> the curser over it, i.e the info does not show up in the bottom left hand
> corner and therefore it does nothing if you click on the link (probable
> because I.E has frozen in this window by then), and sometimes when
> clicking
> on a link or opening a new window - it takes a few seconds to start
> the green progress bars and then they load slowly one at a time until they
> get to the middle (around 3/4 bars) and then stop. Sometimes when a window
> has loaded although I can use the page, I notice that the green bars are
> still showing - sometimes all of them but sometimes less than all, as
> though
> it has not fully loaded.
>
> Listed in manage add on are;-
> Google toolbar etc - disabled
>
> adobe pdf reader
> avg safe search avg security toolbar
> real. com
> research
> skype - not used!!
> spybot
> sun java console
> windows live sign-in helper
> windows messenger
>
> Many thanks in advance and nice to be back
>
> Steve

moonraker

Re: Internet explorer hangs and stalls

Hi PA, thankyou for being there for all these years. I have inserted my
answers under your questions.

> No one from Microsoft "helps in these newsgroups." We're all volunteers.

Yes, I reallise that, pretty amazing volunters....I just saw:- "MSN drops
newsgroup support" and "We are removing newsgroups from MSN servers because
we now have....." , and wondered if these newsgroups were on MS servers, and
may be pulled, thats all. I also thought that MS might supply the MVP's with
software and invites to the Xmas party.

> Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in
> your next reply.

I did for IE in my OP but here is all the info:-

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Available Physical Memory 219.03 MB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

IE
Version 7.0.5730.13
Build 75730

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

have not tried that ,will look how to and let you know.

> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

Have not tried that, don't like big changes, but will read up on how to.

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

====================

AV AVG version 9.0.698
Virus DB 270.14.57/2492

Firewall Zone alarm version 80.298.000

======================

> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?

I am not sure about from new maybe I can check, if there is a way!!

I did have symantic professional loaded and updated regularly, but my nephew
(IT professional) changed it to AVG about a year ago.. As far as I know it
is disabled, or uninstalled, can check if needed, maybe you can explain how
to.

Many thanks

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com

> moonraker wrote:
>> Hi there, although I have used the newsgroups for over 6 or 8 years it's
>> been a couple since I've called in, so hello to all, and nice to see some
>> old names again...you all do a "great" job.
>>
>> !, Do I understand right that MS are pulling out from helping these
>> newsgroups, I really hope I've got it all wrong!!!???
>>
>> 2, I am on Version 7.0.5730.13 Internet explorer with just the blank
>> google
>> search page, a while ago it kept hanging whilst loading and searching. So
>> after looking on the net I disabled Google toolbar and I.E was mostly
>> itself
>> again
>>
>> My problem now is whilst it loads much quicker (around 10/15 sec from
>> start
>> off and a few seconds to open a new window), it keeps stalling and
>> hanging,
>> amoungst the faults are not loading a window and not loading after
>> clicking
>> on a link, some times it just does not "see" the link at all when you
>> hover
>> the curser over it, i.e the info does not show up in the bottom left hand
>> corner and therefore it does nothing if you click on the link (probable
>> because I.E has frozen in this window by then), and sometimes when
>> clicking
>> on a link or opening a new window - it takes a few seconds to start
>> the green progress bars and then they load slowly one at a time until
>> they
>> get to the middle (around 3/4 bars) and then stop. Sometimes when a
>> window
>> has loaded although I can use the page, I notice that the green bars are
>> still showing - sometimes all of them but sometimes less than all, as
>> though
>> it has not fully loaded.
>>
>> Listed in manage add on are;-
>> Google toolbar etc - disabled
>>
>> adobe pdf reader
>> avg safe search avg security toolbar
>> real. com
>> research
>> skype - not used!!
>> spybot
>> sun java console
>> windows live sign-in helper
>> windows messenger
>>
>> Many thanks in advance and nice to be back
>>
>> Steve

moonraker

Re: Internet explorer hangs and stalls
Hi there Rob?

SO!!!!! earlier to day I visited my fav' climbing forum as normal "with
add-ons" browsed the forum from one forum to the next, from thread to thread
for an hour, then on and off for ten minutes here and there during the
day - no real problems don't think it "hanged" at all. (also in OE send a
few emails and recieved - purfect - never any probs in OE)

But!!!! Tonight I have opened two separate IE windows both running
"without" add-ons both with different web sites - both are other forums that
I use (all info searching sites - not just chat forums - don't do those
(boring fart!!!). Booth pages have "hung" they are both just sat there I can
see one right under this e-mail.

One has, in the bar at the bottom... a yellow sheild with an "!" in it then
"Waiting forhttp://www.*********( the last link I clicked on - the link to
my profile - this always hangs up ), and 5 green bars in the progress
window.
If I hover the pointy hand over another link then the URL at the bottom
changes to suit but does not move to the next page, when the curser is moved
away again the URL reverts back to as before.

Same on the other window - clicked on link to move to a sub forum and it
hung striaght away - same sheild ...... same 5 green bars.

Whilst these are hung with hardly any lights on my broadband router ( just
one flicker now and then ),

I have sent a test email to myself with a jpeg piccy, and it sent straight
off - green lights on the Router going ten to the dozen. (a dozen is = 12 in
England)

Any ideas as to what is happening.

> [...]
>> the green progress bars and then they load slowly one at a time until
>> they
>> get to the middle (around 3/4 bars) and then stop. Sometimes when a
>> window
>> has loaded although I can use the page, I notice that the green bars are
>> still showing - sometimes all of them but sometimes less than all, as
>> though
>> it has not fully loaded.
>>
>> Listed in manage add on are;-
>> Google toolbar etc - disabled
>>
>> adobe pdf reader
>> avg safe search avg security toolbar
>> real. com
>> research
>> skype - not used!!
>> spybot
>> sun java console
>> windows live sign-in helper
>> windows messenger
>>
>> Many thanks in advance and nice to be back

Well, I was waiting for you to tell me what, if any, effect doing a Reset
had on the problem...

Have you tried it yet?

Is AVG Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, and/or Security
toolbar installed?

Did you upgrade from AVG v8.5 to v9.0?

moonraker wrote:
> Hi there Rob?
>
> SO!!!!! earlier to day I visited my fav' climbing forum as normal "with
> add-ons" browsed the forum from one forum to the next, from thread to
> thread
> for an hour, then on and off for ten minutes here and there during the
> day - no real problems don't think it "hanged" at all. (also in OE send a
> few emails and recieved - purfect - never any probs in OE)
>
> But!!!! Tonight I have opened two separate IE windows both running
> "without" add-ons both with different web sites - both are other forums
> that
> I use (all info searching sites - not just chat forums - don't do those
> (boring fart!!!). Booth pages have "hung" they are both just sat there I
> can
> see one right under this e-mail.
>
> One has, in the bar at the bottom... a yellow sheild with an "!" in it
> then
> "Waiting forhttp://www.*********( the last link I clicked on - the link to
> my profile - this always hangs up ), and 5 green bars in the progress
> window.
> If I hover the pointy hand over another link then the URL at the bottom
> changes to suit but does not move to the next page, when the curser is
> moved
> away again the URL reverts back to as before.
>
> Same on the other window - clicked on link to move to a sub forum and it
> hung striaght away - same sheild ...... same 5 green bars.
>
> Whilst these are hung with hardly any lights on my broadband router ( just
> one flicker now and then ),
>
> I have sent a test email to myself with a jpeg piccy, and it sent straight
> off - green lights on the Router going ten to the dozen. (a dozen is = 12
> in
> England)
>
> Any ideas as to what is happening.

<paste>
>> Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
>> Vista 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in
>> your next reply.

> I did for IE in my OP but here is all the info:-
>
> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> Available Physical Memory 219.03 MB
> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
>
> IE
> Version 7.0.5730.13
> Build 75730
>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

> have not tried that ,will look how to and let you know.
>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

> Have not tried that, don't like big changes, but will read up on how to.
>
>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your

> ====================
>
> AV AVG version 9.0.698
> Virus DB 270.14.57/2492
>
> Firewall Zone alarm version 80.298.000
>
> ======================
>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?

> I am not sure about from new maybe I can check, if there is a way!!
>
> I did have symantic professional loaded and updated regularly, but my
> nephew
> (IT professional) changed it to AVG about a year ago.. As far as I know it
> is disabled, or uninstalled, can check if needed, maybe you can explain
> how
> to.

</paste>
> [...]
>>> the green progress bars and then they load slowly one at a time until
>>> they
>>> get to the middle (around 3/4 bars) and then stop. Sometimes when a
>>> window
>>> has loaded although I can use the page, I notice that the green bars are
>>> still showing - sometimes all of them but sometimes less than all, as
>>> though
>>> it has not fully loaded.
>>>
>>> Listed in manage add on are;-
>>> Google toolbar etc - disabled
>>>
>>> adobe pdf reader
>>> avg safe search avg security toolbar
>>> real. com
>>> research
>>> skype - not used!!
>>> spybot
>>> sun java console
>>> windows live sign-in helper
>>> windows messenger
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance and nice to be back

ebo2112 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Internet explorer hangs and stalls
See the thread titled "Internet explorer hangs" by Remedy Malahide, April 29, 2009.

Is it AVG linkscanner?

I'm having the exact same issues as described in Remedy Malahide's original post. (Except my homepage is google.ca, yet the "connecting to" has the ip: 69.147.108.30 which seems to be a yahoo ip...?, problem happens with any site I try, for example my bank's website, which says "Connecting to" and the correct ip for my bank) (I'm getting this problem on IE7, not 8)(Vista home premium sp1)

The problem seems intermittent, but I don't think it is random. Typically the first instance of IE hangs, the sceond instance loads the webpage and off you go.
-edit- i just did a simple test i got: fail,pass,fail,fail,pass,pass,fail,pass,pass,pass, pass,pass...the failed loads never eventually load. --

When it first occured I thought "this looks like something that has probably happened to a lot of people, and there should be lots of solutions floating around out there. "

I find few. And I don't feel that PA Bears solutions are barking up the right tree, though full uninstalls and no add-ons may also make this problem go away...
I'm already using IE7 and I have no currently enabled add ons. (all currently loaded add ons are disabled)

I use AVG free and IObit advanced system care. Their use predates this problem.
I have just disabled link scanner, and no luck. I will perform the uninstall/reinstall and see. -edit- actually i see AVG 9 is now out, i will get it and opt out of linkscanner. --
I agree with the comment elsewhere in the thread about bits and pieces of avg running even when you turn it off.

I'll report back when /if fixed.

Thanks
E.
moonraker

Re: Internet explorer hangs and stalls
Thanks for that!!!! really good feedback, yes for me also...not consistant..
some times I can use a web site for ages, brouse, read posts, reply to
several threads, search and all that...for hours (yes I know I need to get
out more!!!) ...with no problems.

On other occasions, just simple opening up another IE window (don't know the
correct term for that, except "opening a new brouwser window") and it will
just hang and sit there.

On one Forum I use, it seems to be more common, in particular, always when I
click on "change user profile" it ALWAYS hangs, and although I can hover the
curser over various links and the URL of that link appears in the bottom
left hand corner...the page has "hung" and that is it...I have to close the
window!!!!!

Cheers from Steve

"ebo2112" <ebo2112.41qx81@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> See the thread titled "Internet explorer hangs" by Remedy Malahide,
> April 29, 2009.
>
> Is it AVG linkscanner?
>
> I'm having the exact same issues as described in Remedy Malahide's
> original post. (Except my homepage is google.ca, yet the "connecting
> to" has the ip: 69.147.108.30 which seems to be a yahoo ip...?, problem
> happens with any site I try, for example my bank's website, which says
> "Connecting to" and the correct ip for my bank) (I'm getting this
> problem on IE7, not 8)(Vista home premium sp1)
>
> The problem seems intermittent, but I don't think it is random.
> Typically the first instance of IE hangs, the sceond instance loads the
> webpage and off you go.
> -edit- i just did a simple test i got:
> fail,pass,fail,fail,pass,pass,fail,pass,pass,pass, pass,pass...the failed
> loads never eventually load. --
>
> When it first occured I thought "this looks like something that has
> probably happened to a lot of people, and there should be lots of
> solutions floating around out there. "
>
> I find few. And I don't feel that PA Bears solutions are barking up the
> right tree, though full uninstalls and no add-ons may also make this
> problem go away...
> I'm already using IE7 and I have no currently enabled add ons. (all
> currently loaded add ons are disabled)
>
> I use AVG free and IObit advanced system care. Their use predates this
> problem.
> I have just disabled link scanner, and no luck. I will perform the
> uninstall/reinstall and see. -edit- actually i see AVG 9 is now out, i
> will get it and opt out of linkscanner. --
> I agree with the comment elsewhere in the thread about bits and pieces
> of avg running even when you turn it off.
>
> I'll report back when /if fixed.
>
> Thanks
> E.
>

> --
> ebo2112

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet explorer hangs and stalls
Please describe your problem or question in detail.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

ebo2112 wrote:
> See the thread titled "Internet explorer hangs" by Remedy Malahide,
> April 29, 2009.
>
> Is it AVG linkscanner?
>
> I'm having the exact same issues as described in Remedy Malahide's
> original post. (Except my homepage is google.ca, yet the "connecting
> to" has the ip: 69.147.108.30 which seems to be a yahoo ip...?, problem
> happens with any site I try, for example my bank's website, which says
> "Connecting to" and the correct ip for my bank) (I'm getting this
> problem on IE7, not 8)(Vista home premium sp1)
>
> The problem seems intermittent, but I don't think it is random.
> Typically the first instance of IE hangs, the sceond instance loads the
> webpage and off you go.
> -edit- i just did a simple test i got:
> fail,pass,fail,fail,pass,pass,fail,pass,pass,pass, pass,pass...the failed
> loads never eventually load. --
>
> When it first occured I thought "this looks like something that has
> probably happened to a lot of people, and there should be lots of
> solutions floating around out there. "
>
> I find few. And I don't feel that PA Bears solutions are barking up the
> right tree, though full uninstalls and no add-ons may also make this
> problem go away...
> I'm already using IE7 and I have no currently enabled add ons. (all
> currently loaded add ons are disabled)
>
> I use AVG free and IObit advanced system care. Their use predates this
> problem.
> I have just disabled link scanner, and no luck. I will perform the
> uninstall/reinstall and see. -edit- actually i see AVG 9 is now out, i
> will get it and opt out of linkscanner. --
> I agree with the comment elsewhere in the thread about bits and pieces
> of avg running even when you turn it off.
>
> I'll report back when /if fixed.
>
> Thanks
> E.

ebo2112 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Internet explorer hangs and stalls
I'm pretty sure I've provided quite a depth of detail and background.

I may also have solved the problem.

I downloaded and installed a new version of AVG (AVG9). I chose custom install and de-selected linkscanner (surf shield is a subset of that).

So far in an hour or two of use, the problem has yet to recur.

If I wasn't changing versions, the other suggestion I read was to uninstall re-install AVG but without linkscanner.

Fingers crossed.
Sed perseverare diabolicum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Grey View Post

ebo2112 wrote:
> ...And I don't feel that PA Bears solutions are barking up the
> right tree, though full uninstalls and no add-ons may also make this
> problem go away...

Excuse me but IIRC uninstalling the IE upgrade and/or starting IE in No
Add-ons mode (which is not quite the same as having "no add-ons enabled")
was one of my "barks:" If doing so corrects the problem, why was I not
barking up the right tree?

cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...870ab05825eb3d &
ff

> I'm already using IE7 and I have no currently enabled add ons. (all
> currently loaded add ons are disabled)

See above.

Also see if a clean, CUSTOM install of AVG 9.0 and opting-out of installing
Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security and all of the
email scanning components corrects YOUR problem.

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

PS: Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups instead of
VistaHardBoiledEgg forums
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm