Contacting a Web Site

JamesJ

Contacting a Web Site
When I send an email using an email client I am able to view sent emails in
the 'Sent Items' folder. But, when I contact a web site using the web site's
contact form there seems to be no record of me sending the email.
I want to be able to have a record of an email sent in this fashion.
Is there a way way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
James

Bob Lucas

Re: Contacting a Web Site
You haven't told us which mail client you are using. However,
the following comments apply to virtually all mail clients,
including Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.

If you have configured your mail account as a POP3 account (which
uses a SMTP server for outgoing mail), then the mail client
downloads messages from the POP3 mail server to your local Inbox.
Outgoing messages (sent via the SMTP server) do not pass through
the webmail interface, so there will be no record of outgoing
messages on the webmail interface.

As a first step, I recommend that you check whether your mail
service provider offers an IMAP option (as an alternative to
POP3). IMAP is more versatile than POP3, because it allows a
user to view the content of all folders (not just your Inbox) -
and you can synchronize the local mail client with the server.

If your mail provider does not offer an IMAP option, then you
could try the following workaround:

1. Configure the mail client on your computer to leave a copy
of all messages on the server. You should configure the account
to "Remove messages from server after xx days" - or "Remove
messages from server when deleted from Deleted Items".
Otherwise, your Inbox on the server will fill very quickly.

2. When you use the mail client program to send an email, add
a blind copy to yourself. The blind copy will go into your Inbox
on the mail server - so you could use the webmail interface to
move it to a different folder.

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
> When I send an email using an email client I am able to view
> sent emails in
> the 'Sent Items' folder. But, when I contact a web site using
> the web site's
> contact form there seems to be no record of me sending the
> email.
> I want to be able to have a record of an email sent in this
> fashion.
> Is there a way way to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Bruce Hagen

Re: Contacting a Web Site
No. Before you send the message, copy the contents and paste them somewhere
for a record. Perhaps in a new message window and send it to yourself. There
is no connection between the Website & your e-mail client.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

> When I send an email using an email client I am able to view sent emails
> in
> the 'Sent Items' folder. But, when I contact a web site using the web
> site's
> contact form there seems to be no record of me sending the email.
> I want to be able to have a record of an email sent in this fashion.
> Is there a way way to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks,
> James

VanguardLH

Re: Contacting a Web Site
JamesJ wrote:

> When I send an email using an email client I am able to view sent emails in
> the 'Sent Items' folder. But, when I contact a web site using the web site's
> contact form there seems to be no record of me sending the email.
> I want to be able to have a record of an email sent in this fashion.
> Is there a way way to accomplish this?

You aren't using your e-mail client when you are using THEIR web form to
submit the data to them.

The best you can do is copy all the fields in the form and copy them
elsewhere. You could copy them into Notepad and then save that document
to a file. Or you could use a clipboard manager, like Clipmate or
Clipmagic, and move the clip into a safe/holding folder for later
reference.
JamesJ

Re: Contacting a Web Site
Thanks. I thought I was missing something.

James

"Bruce Hagen" <Nospam@mymail.invalid> wrote in message
> No. Before you send the message, copy the contents and paste them
> somewhere for a record. Perhaps in a new message window and send it to
> yourself. There is no connection between the Website & your e-mail client.
> --
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
>> When I send an email using an email client I am able to view sent emails
>> in
>> the 'Sent Items' folder. But, when I contact a web site using the web
>> site's
>> contact form there seems to be no record of me sending the email.
>> I want to be able to have a record of an email sent in this fashion.
>> Is there a way way to accomplish this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

JamesJ

Re: Contacting a Web Site
Ah.

Thanks,
James

> JamesJ wrote:
>
>> When I send an email using an email client I am able to view sent emails
>> in
>> the 'Sent Items' folder. But, when I contact a web site using the web
>> site's
>> contact form there seems to be no record of me sending the email.
>> I want to be able to have a record of an email sent in this fashion.
>> Is there a way way to accomplish this?

> You aren't using your e-mail client when you are using THEIR web form to
> submit the data to them.
>
> The best you can do is copy all the fields in the form and copy them
> elsewhere. You could copy them into Notepad and then save that document
> to a file. Or you could use a clipboard manager, like Clipmate or
> Clipmagic, and move the clip into a safe/holding folder for later
> reference.

JamesJ

Re: Contacting a Web Site
I'm refering to web site 'contact' forms for support or CS.

My email client is Winodws Live Mail.

James

"Bob Lucas" <bob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You haven't told us which mail client you are using. However, the
> following comments apply to virtually all mail clients, including Outlook
> Express, Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.
>
> If you have configured your mail account as a POP3 account (which uses a
> SMTP server for outgoing mail), then the mail client downloads messages
> from the POP3 mail server to your local Inbox. Outgoing messages (sent via
> the SMTP server) do not pass through the webmail interface, so there will
> be no record of outgoing messages on the webmail interface.
>
> As a first step, I recommend that you check whether your mail service
> provider offers an IMAP option (as an alternative to POP3). IMAP is more
> versatile than POP3, because it allows a user to view the content of all
> folders (not just your Inbox) - and you can synchronize the local mail
> client with the server.
>
> If your mail provider does not offer an IMAP option, then you could try
> the following workaround:
>
> 1. Configure the mail client on your computer to leave a copy of all
> messages on the server. You should configure the account to "Remove
> messages from server after xx days" - or "Remove messages from server when
> deleted from Deleted Items". Otherwise, your Inbox on the server will fill
> very quickly.
>
> 2. When you use the mail client program to send an email, add a blind
> copy to yourself. The blind copy will go into your Inbox on the mail
> server - so you could use the webmail interface to move it to a different
> folder.
>

> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
>> When I send an email using an email client I am able to view sent emails
>> in
>> the 'Sent Items' folder. But, when I contact a web site using the web
>> site's
>> contact form there seems to be no record of me sending the email.
>> I want to be able to have a record of an email sent in this fashion.
>> Is there a way way to accomplish this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James

G. R. Woodring

Re: Contacting a Web Site
Another approach would be to perform these actions in reverse. Compose your
message in Notepad and save it. Then at the site copy and paste the text into
the form field. This also avoids the problem that at some sites they log you
off for inactivity while you search for that perfect turn-of-phrase :-(

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 11/7/2009 4:40 PM, Author: JamesJ Wrote:
> Ah.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> JamesJ wrote:
>>
>>> When I send an email using an email client I am able to view sent
>>> emails in
>>> the 'Sent Items' folder. But, when I contact a web site using the web
>>> site's
>>> contact form there seems to be no record of me sending the email.
>>> I want to be able to have a record of an email sent in this fashion.
>>> Is there a way way to accomplish this?

>> You aren't using your e-mail client when you are using THEIR web form to
>> submit the data to them.
>>
>> The best you can do is copy all the fields in the form and copy them
>> elsewhere. You could copy them into Notepad and then save that document
>> to a file. Or you could use a clipboard manager, like Clipmate or
>> Clipmagic, and move the clip into a safe/holding folder for later
>> reference.

JamesJ

Re: Contacting a Web Site
Would the saved text be proof that an email was sent?

James

"G. R. Woodring" <tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote in message
> Another approach would be to perform these actions in reverse. Compose
> your message in Notepad and save it. Then at the site copy and paste the
> text into the form field. This also avoids the problem that at some sites
> they log you off for inactivity while you search for that perfect
> turn-of-phrase :-(
>
> --
> G. R. Woodring
>
> Date: 11/7/2009 4:40 PM, Author: JamesJ Wrote:
>> Ah.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>
>> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> You aren't using your e-mail client when you are using THEIR web form to
>>> submit the data to them.
>>>
>>> The best you can do is copy all the fields in the form and copy them
>>> elsewhere. You could copy them into Notepad and then save that document
>>> to a file. Or you could use a clipboard manager, like Clipmate or
>>> Clipmagic, and move the clip into a safe/holding folder for later
>>> reference.

Re: Contacting a Web Site
If the message isn't being sent via WLMail, no.