Is it possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?

André Bordeleau

Is it possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
My old W98SE computer was using IE6 to get access to internet via a router.
Recently I had to reformat the hard disk using its original product recovery
CD. W98SE reinstalled properly with IE5. Connection between the ethernet
adapter and the router is normal, but I am unable to open a web page. Is it
possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?

I had to do the same reformating about 2 years ago and I had no problem to
re-connect the W98 computer to the Internet with IE5.

Thanks for your help,
André

Re: Is it possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
What page(s)?

1. Download/install IE6 SP1 & reboot:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-20b602228de6

2. Check-in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & install all critical
security updates offered.

3. Test.

André Bordeleau wrote:
> My old W98SE computer was using IE6 to get access to internet via a
> router.
> Recently I had to reformat the hard disk using its original product
> recovery
> CD. W98SE reinstalled properly with IE5. Connection between the ethernet
> adapter and the router is normal, but I am unable to open a web page. Is
> it
> possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
>
> I had to do the same reformating about 2 years ago and I had no problem to
> re-connect the W98 computer to the Internet with IE5.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> André

André Bordeleau

Re: Is it possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
When I try to go on the suggested webpage or any other website, I get the
following message: «The Page cannot be displayed».
I can not get an internet connection using the IE5 installed with the W98SE
included in the product recovery CD, as I did about 2 years ago.

So the reason of my question: Is it possible that IE5 won't display anymore
a website page?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> What page(s)?
>
> 1. Download/install IE6 SP1 & reboot:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-20b602228de6
>
> 2. Check-in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & install all critical
> security updates offered.
>
> 3. Test.
>

> André Bordeleau wrote:
>> My old W98SE computer was using IE6 to get access to internet via a
>> router.
>> Recently I had to reformat the hard disk using its original product
>> recovery
>> CD. W98SE reinstalled properly with IE5. Connection between the
>> ethernet
>> adapter and the router is normal, but I am unable to open a web page. Is
>> it
>> possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
>>
>> I had to do the same reformating about 2 years ago and I had no problem
>> re-connect the W98 computer to the Internet with IE5.
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> André

G. R. Woodring

Re: Is it possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
Does your router have its own firewall? If so, you may have to open the
firewall settings and remove IE from the list. The next time you try to connect
you should be offered the option to allow the "new" version. You may have to
repeat this when you update to IE6. Some sites don't support browsers older
than IE5.5, but you should then get a message from the site, not the generic
"cannot be displayed" message.

HTH

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 11/7/2009 3:50 PM, Author: André Bordeleau Wrote:
> When I try to go on the suggested webpage or any other website, I get
> the following message: «The Page cannot be displayed».
> I can not get an internet connection using the IE5 installed with the
> W98SE included in the product recovery CD, as I did about 2 years ago.
>
> So the reason of my question: Is it possible that IE5 won't display
> anymore a website page?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> What page(s)?
>>
>> 1. Download/install IE6 SP1 & reboot:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-20b602228de6
>>

>> 2. Check-in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & install all
>> critical security updates offered.
>>
>> 3. Test.
>>

>> André Bordeleau wrote:
>>> My old W98SE computer was using IE6 to get access to internet via a
>>> router.
>>> Recently I had to reformat the hard disk using its original product
>>> recovery
>>> CD. W98SE reinstalled properly with IE5. Connection between the
>>> ethernet
>>> adapter and the router is normal, but I am unable to open a web
>>> page. Is it
>>> possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
>>>
>>> I had to do the same reformating about 2 years ago and I had no
>>> problem to
>>> re-connect the W98 computer to the Internet with IE5.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>> André

Re: Is it possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
IE5 has nothing to do with it.

If you eliminate the router and connect directly via the modem, does the
behavior persist?

What, if any, anti-virus application is installed?

What, if any, fireall is installed?

André Bordeleau wrote:
> When I try to go on the suggested webpage or any other website, I get the
> following message: «The Page cannot be displayed».
> I can not get an internet connection using the IE5 installed with the
> W98SE
> included in the product recovery CD, as I did about 2 years ago.
>
> So the reason of my question: Is it possible that IE5 won't display
> anymore
> a website page?
>
>> What page(s)?
>>
>> 1. Download/install IE6 SP1 & reboot:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-20b602228de6
>>
>> 2. Check-in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & install all critical
>> security updates offered.
>>
>> 3. Test. André Bordeleau wrote:
>>> My old W98SE computer was using IE6 to get access to internet via a
>>> router.
>>> Recently I had to reformat the hard disk using its original product
>>> recovery
>>> CD. W98SE reinstalled properly with IE5. Connection between the
>>> ethernet
>>> adapter and the router is normal, but I am unable to open a web page.
>>> Is
>>> it
>>> possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
>>>
>>> I had to do the same reformating about 2 years ago and I had no problem
>>> re-connect the W98 computer to the Internet with IE5.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>> André

André Bordeleau

Re: Is it possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
I have connected the W98SE computer directly to the cable modem and I still
get the message «The Page cannot be displayed» when I try to go on any
website.

In the System Properties/Device Manager window, all devices work properly
including the network adapter.

In the Control Panel/Network/Configuration window, the TCP/IP D-Link Adapter
properties are as follow:
IP Address: Obtain an IP address automatically.
WINS configuration: Disable WINS resolution.
Gateway: none (blank).
DNS configuration: Disable DNS.

I tried connecting to the internet disabling the anti-virus and the firewall
installed on the W98SE computer: still the same message «The Page cannot be
displayed».

Any idea of the next step to solve that problem?

> IE5 has nothing to do with it.
>
> If you eliminate the router and connect directly via the modem, does the
> behavior persist?
>
> What, if any, anti-virus application is installed?
>
> What, if any, fireall is installed?
>
> André Bordeleau wrote:
>> When I try to go on the suggested webpage or any other website, I get the
>> following message: «The Page cannot be displayed».
>> I can not get an internet connection using the IE5 installed with the
>> W98SE
>> included in the product recovery CD, as I did about 2 years ago.
>>
>> So the reason of my question: Is it possible that IE5 won't display
>> anymore
>> a website page?
>>
>>> What page(s)?
>>>
>>> 1. Download/install IE6 SP1 & reboot:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-20b602228de6
>>>
>>> 2. Check-in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & install all critical
>>> security updates offered.

Re: Is it possible that IE5 won't open a page anymore?
Repost: