IE8 troubles

uncleA

IE8 troubles
I've upgraded a lot of XP boxes and a few Vista boxes with IE8; one is
causing severe problems. I have disabled all add-ons, removed known
conflicts, re-installed antivirus, reset IE8 defaults back as far as I can,
uninstalled Firefox, disk cleanup, defragged, and switched back to a local
profile. I am almost ready to wipe and re-install OS. I can understand why
I am seeing so many posts that suggest nuking IE8. This is a major, bigtime,
extreme throb of a headache that will drive customers away in droves. But,
until this experience, I've been quite happy with it on most all other
installs. Is there a solution other than format c:\ ?
G. R. Woodring

Re: IE8 troubles
You should include your full Windows version including service pack level.
Also, were any anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-spyware apps running while you were
installing IE8?

You didn't describe what you mean by "causing severe problems". Maybe a
description would get a response from a user who has resolved similar problems.

You should be able to remove Windows Internet Explorer 8 from Add/Remove
Programs. This should return to the previous version. If all is well with the
previous version then image the drive before continuing.

Download the installer from Microsoft, not any customized version from another
source with some custom toolbars or such. Update all scanning programs.
Disconnect from the internet and do a full scan for viruses and malware. Disable
all real-time scanners (Un-install if they won't fully disable). Now, run the
IE8 installer.

This advice assumes that malware (or the anti-malware software itself) may have
compromised the original install. This may be an incorrect assumption,
especially since you didn't explain your "severe problems".

Imaging the drive provides a possible shortcut to a full format and reinstall of
the OS and all programs. The full reinstall can be a painful experience but is
still a viable last resort.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 11/7/2009 4:11 AM, Author: uncleA Wrote:
> I've upgraded a lot of XP boxes and a few Vista boxes with IE8; one is
> causing severe problems. I have disabled all add-ons, removed known
> conflicts, re-installed antivirus, reset IE8 defaults back as far as I can,
> uninstalled Firefox, disk cleanup, defragged, and switched back to a local
> profile. I am almost ready to wipe and re-install OS. I can understand why
> I am seeing so many posts that suggest nuking IE8. This is a major, bigtime,
> extreme throb of a headache that will drive customers away in droves. But,
> until this experience, I've been quite happy with it on most all other
> installs. Is there a solution other than format c:\ ?

Jeff Strickland

Re: IE8 troubles

"uncleA" <uncleA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've upgraded a lot of XP boxes and a few Vista boxes with IE8; one is
> causing severe problems. I have disabled all add-ons, removed known
> conflicts, re-installed antivirus, reset IE8 defaults back as far as I
> can,
> uninstalled Firefox, disk cleanup, defragged, and switched back to a local
> profile. I am almost ready to wipe and re-install OS. I can understand
> why
> I am seeing so many posts that suggest nuking IE8. This is a major,
> bigtime,
> extreme throb of a headache that will drive customers away in droves.
> But,
> until this experience, I've been quite happy with it on most all other
> installs. Is there a solution other than format c:\ ?

It might help to know what the "severe problems" are.

It's difficult to tell, but it looks like you have an installation of Vista
and IE8 that are giving you fits. There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
Vista, and IE8. If you're using the 64-bit version of IE, you will run into
problems with sites that use Flash because Adobe does not support 64-bit IE
yet. You have to use the 32-bit version. Click Start>All Programs, and
scroll the list. Notice two entries for IE, one of them says Internet
Explorer (64-bit) -- use the other one and see if the "severe problems" go
away.