UNABLE TO RESET FAST BROWSER SEARCH DEFAULT

Kathy

UNABLE TO RESET FAST BROWSER SEARCH DEFAULT
WIN/XP Home
IE 7.0

I have always used Google as my default search engine.

About a month ago "Fast Browser Search" started at start-up. There is also
a "box" in the top "ribbon" and Fast Browser Search is the default. The
drop down box also includes Google, which I prefer, and I set it as the
default and remove the Fast Browser. This is good until IE is closed and
reopened and then it defaults to Fast Browser again.

What could I have done to cause Fast Brower to be my default? I'm even
thinking that I somehow replied "yes" to adding Fast Browser. But how do I
get rid of it?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

--
Kathy
aka smiley

In God We Trust

Kathy

Re: UNABLE TO RESET FAST BROWSER SEARCH DEFAULT
WIN/XP Home SP3

--
Kathy
aka smiley

In God We Trust
"Kathy" <smiley@cheerful.com> wrote in message
> WIN/XP Home
> IE 7.0
>
> I have always used Google as my default search engine.
>
> About a month ago "Fast Browser Search" started at start-up. There is
> also a "box" in the top "ribbon" and Fast Browser Search is the default.
> The drop down box also includes Google, which I prefer, and I set it as
> the default and remove the Fast Browser. This is good until IE is closed
> and reopened and then it defaults to Fast Browser again.
>
> What could I have done to cause Fast Brower to be my default? I'm even
> thinking that I somehow replied "yes" to adding Fast Browser. But how do
> I get rid of it?
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
>
> --
> Kathy
> aka smiley
>
> In God We Trust

Re: UNABLE TO RESET FAST BROWSER SEARCH DEFAULT
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1

Otherwise...

2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
Mode with Networking, if need be:

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
• http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
• http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
• http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
• http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php or other appropriate forums.**

www.banthecheck.com

Kathy wrote:
> WIN/XP Home SP3
>> IE 7.0
>>
>> I have always used Google as my default search engine.
>>
>> About a month ago "Fast Browser Search" started at start-up. There is
>> also a "box" in the top "ribbon" and Fast Browser Search is the default.
>> The drop down box also includes Google, which I prefer, and I set it as
>> the default and remove the Fast Browser. This is good until IE is closed
>> and reopened and then it defaults to Fast Browser again.
>>
>> What could I have done to cause Fast Brower to be my default? I'm even
>> thinking that I somehow replied "yes" to adding Fast Browser. But how do
>> I get rid of it?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Kathy

Re: UNABLE TO RESET FAST BROWSER SEARCH DEFAULT
Hi PA Bear

Again thank you for your very extensive advice!

The very first thing I did was to make sure that I had the most current
updates to my SpyWare Detector and then ran a complete scan of my HD and 2
external HD's. It found 4 malwares with 2 deemed critical. Apparently
doing that and quarantining them allowed me to change the search engine back
to Google.

Next I will start with the links you sent. This is going to take me some
time to learn about everything. I hope to be able to do this myself without
having to take the tower into the shop. And, yes, I have a wonderful
computer store filled with technophiles! Not sure it is a real word but
they are the real deal! Dave's Computer World in Brookston Indiana!

Thanks again for your help. Now it's time to get busy on my end here.

--
Kathy
aka smiley

In God We Trust
> There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a
> hijackware infection!
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>
> Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
> dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including
> unwanted software), and adware.
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...prid=7552&st=1
>
> Otherwise...

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
> Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
> • http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> • http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> • http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> • http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>
> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Kathy wrote:
>> WIN/XP Home SP3
>>> IE 7.0
>>>
>>> I have always used Google as my default search engine.
>>>
>>> About a month ago "Fast Browser Search" started at start-up. There is
>>> also a "box" in the top "ribbon" and Fast Browser Search is the default.
>>> The drop down box also includes Google, which I prefer, and I set it as
>>> the default and remove the Fast Browser. This is good until IE is
>>> closed
>>> and reopened and then it defaults to Fast Browser again.
>>>
>>> What could I have done to cause Fast Brower to be my default? I'm even
>>> thinking that I somehow replied "yes" to adding Fast Browser. But how
>>> do
>>> I get rid of it?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Re: UNABLE TO RESET FAST BROWSER SEARCH DEFAULT
Spyware Detector or Spyware *Doctor*? If the former, that could be your
hijacker! See http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/spywaredetector.com

Kathy wrote:
> [...]
>> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>>
>> 2. Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe
>> Mode with Networking, if need be:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
>> • http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>> • http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>> • http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
>> • http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>>
>> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting

Aaron Urbanski

Re: UNABLE TO RESET FAST BROWSER SEARCH DEFAULT
I did a lot of research and finally found the companies phone number.
They helped me get the program off of my computer very easily. There
number is 1-800-831-8940 I hope this helps.