Windows 7 reputation being mared by unstable IE8

NickT

Windows 7 reputation being mared by unstable IE8
After all the good press regarding stability of Windows 7 I installed it over
the weekend and replaced Vista which for the first year after its release
gave me major headaches. Now I have daily problems with IE8 freezing, not
responding and not loading webpages correctly. The 64-bit version doesn't
seem to support Live toolbar or Flash player either so I can't use that. Am I
alone in this and possibly pointing the finger in wrong direction. Perhaps it
Flash itself or perhaps my graphics driver that are causing the problems but
it's not easy to tell. What are other people experiencing. I have 64-bit Win
7 installed on a Dell 9200 with 2gb.
Leonard Grey

Re: Windows 7 reputation being mared by unstable IE8
Ask your preferred search engine if there are 64-bit versions of Flash
and the Live toolbar.

For your other IE 8 problems:

Do you have the same experience when you start Internet Explorer from
the 'no add-ons' icon?

Start > type Internet Explorer in the Search box > click Internet
Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Do you have the same experience after you have reset Internet Explorer
settings?

"How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that you have unwittingly installed on your computer.

Web pages that were developed for previous versions of Internet
Explorer, or with proprietary HTML or scripting extensions, might not
function properly in Internet Explorer 8.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

NickT wrote:
> After all the good press regarding stability of Windows 7 I installed it over
> the weekend and replaced Vista which for the first year after its release
> gave me major headaches. Now I have daily problems with IE8 freezing, not
> responding and not loading webpages correctly. The 64-bit version doesn't
> seem to support Live toolbar or Flash player either so I can't use that. Am I
> alone in this and possibly pointing the finger in wrong direction. Perhaps it
> Flash itself or perhaps my graphics driver that are causing the problems but
> it's not easy to tell. What are other people experiencing. I have 64-bit Win
> 7 installed on a Dell 9200 with 2gb.

Re: Windows 7 reputation being mared by unstable IE8
See http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flash%2B64-bit+....microsoft.com

Is this your first 64-bit computer?

Is Windows Live Toolbar supported in IE8 64-bit?

<psst> There isn't a 64-bit version of Flash Player yet.

NickT wrote:
> After all the good press regarding stability of Windows 7 I installed it
> over the weekend and replaced Vista which for the first year after its
> release gave me major headaches. Now I have daily problems with IE8
> freezing, not responding and not loading webpages correctly. The 64-bit
> version doesn't seem to support Live toolbar or Flash player either so I
> can't use that. Am I alone in this and possibly pointing the finger in
> wrong direction. Perhaps it Flash itself or perhaps my graphics driver
> that
> are causing the problems but it's not easy to tell. What are other people
> experiencing. I have 64-bit Win 7 installed on a Dell 9200 with 2gb.

Geordie

Re: Windows 7 reputation being mared by unstable IE8
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:05:01 -0800, NickT
<NickT@discussions.microsoft.com> compiled the following:

>After all the good press regarding stability of Windows 7 I installed it over
>the weekend and replaced Vista which for the first year after its release
>gave me major headaches. Now I have daily problems with IE8 freezing, not
>responding and not loading webpages correctly. The 64-bit version doesn't
>seem to support Live toolbar or Flash player either so I can't use that. Am I
>alone in this and possibly pointing the finger in wrong direction. Perhaps it
>Flash itself or perhaps my graphics driver that are causing the problems but
>it's not easy to tell. What are other people experiencing. I have 64-bit Win
>7 installed on a Dell 9200 with 2gb.

Ask Adobe why there isn't a 64bit version of Flash Player.
--
Geordie
Usenet, how to post info:
Bogey Man

"NickT" <NickT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After all the good press regarding stability of Windows 7 I installed it
> over
> the weekend and replaced Vista which for the first year after its release
> gave me major headaches. Now I have daily problems with IE8 freezing, not
> responding and not loading webpages correctly. The 64-bit version doesn't
> seem to support Live toolbar or Flash player either so I can't use that.
> Am I
> alone in this and possibly pointing the finger in wrong direction. Perhaps
> it
> Flash itself or perhaps my graphics driver that are causing the problems
> but
> it's not easy to tell. What are other people experiencing. I have 64-bit
> Win
> 7 installed on a Dell 9200 with 2gb.

When I first installed IE8 I encountered problems on some web sites even
with the 32 bit version running. I discovered that the wrong encoding was
selected in the setup of IE8. This is listed under the view menu. The
encoding that I found was something completely "off the wall." I changed it
to auto and all went well after that.

After upgrading to Win 7 everything is as stable as a large rock no matter
what I try and run.

Adobe should be vilified for their lack of 64 bit Flash.