Windows 7 freezes during a Channel 9 presentation

Marco Auday

Windows 7 freezes during a Channel 9 presentation
This has happened several times since I upgraded the OS to Windows 7
Ultimate. Sometimes Windows 7 will freeze as soon as soon as the
presentation starts, sometimes it happens when the presentation is playing
but the data stream is still downloading, and other times when the
presentation is playing for several minutes.

By freezing I mean: the presentation stops and freezes, the mouse pointer no
longer moves on the screen, the keyboard does not respond to any input (I
cannot go back to the desktop). The only option I have is to shutdown or
re-start my computer by pressing the power on/off button on the computer
itself.

I always watch the Channel 9 presentations in full-screen mode by clicking
the icon on the lower right corner of the player.

The computer where this happens has the following setup:

Processor Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz with 12 Gbytes RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
DirectX 11
Windows Media Player v.12.0.7600.16415
Internet Explorer v.8.0.7600.16385
--
Marco Auday

Re: Windows 7 freezes during a Channel 9 presentation
[Forwarded to WMP NG via crosspost]

Marco Auday wrote:
> This has happened several times since I upgraded the OS to Windows 7
> Ultimate. Sometimes Windows 7 will freeze as soon as soon as the
> presentation starts, sometimes it happens when the presentation is playing
> but the data stream is still downloading, and other times when the
> presentation is playing for several minutes.
>
> By freezing I mean: the presentation stops and freezes, the mouse pointer
> no
> longer moves on the screen, the keyboard does not respond to any input (I
> cannot go back to the desktop). The only option I have is to shutdown or
> re-start my computer by pressing the power on/off button on the computer
> itself.
>
> I always watch the Channel 9 presentations in full-screen mode by clicking
> the icon on the lower right corner of the player.
>
> The computer where this happens has the following setup:
>
> Processor Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz with 12 Gbytes RAM
> Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
> DirectX 11
> Windows Media Player v.12.0.7600.16415
> Internet Explorer v.8.0.7600.16385

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows 7 freezes during a Channel 9 presentation

This would seem like a hardware/device failure. If you get any information
about the system freeze from Event Viewer, that *might* be illuminative, but
it's kind of hard to figure these out without looking at a kernel minidump
or that sort of thing.

You mention specifically that this happens during "presentations", which
thus makes the video card lightly suspect.

--
Speaking for myself only.