Re: my msn problem

PA Bear, MS MVP

Re: my msn problem
[x-post to IE General]

This just in!...

Microsoft Redesigns MSN Portal
<QP>
The redesign, which has been in the works for months, bears quite a
bit of resemblance to the one that Microsoft had been testing in
France.

Microsoft late Tuesday began rolling out the new MSN home page
[ http://preview.msn.com/ ], which it says will become widely
available in the U.S. early in 2010.

With its new look, the home page has about half as many links as the
video, news, shopping, and search.

The old site had dozens of text links at the top and bottom of the
page for everything from horoscopes to white pages to a free trial of
MSN's dial-up Internet service.

The company has, in the past, tried to make changes that its users saw
as too radical, such as a 2007 overhaul of Hotmail that the company
was forced to significantly scale back. Visse said he isn't as worried
about that, given that users were already complaining that the site
was both dated and overstuffed with links.

"We were, frankly, at a point where customers are complaining about
the clutter," he said.

Microsoft is also trying to tap into the popularity of social
networks, adding a column on the right-hand side that lets users peek
at their Windows Live, Twitter, and Facebook feeds, and even update
their status or post a tweet. As before, users can also see a preview
of their Hotmail in-box.

But it will take its time in jumping on the Web apps bandwagon, with
plans to offer several Silverlight-based apps on the right-hand side
of the redesigned page at a later date. In the past, MSN users have
not customized their pages to a large degree, and so Microsoft is
going to take a wait-and-see approach before it decides whether it
will roll out more apps than the Windows Live, Twitter, and Facebook
apps available at launch...
</QP>
Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10389587-265.html

On Oct 23, 8:19*pm, winston wrote:
> Could be regional or a localized server issue or intermittent.
>
> Tried with three Live ID's. One never used for Hotmail, one third party email address registered as a Live ID(no Hotmail account),
> and finally one with an extensively used Hotmail account at both My.msn.com and Home.live.com
>
> They all load the My.Msn.com and Home.live.com page, but last Live ID's Hotmail content module was not updated (My.msn.com) nor is
> the Custom Details option available, yet the four options(compose, inbox,contacts, and calendar all redirect properly)...same
> results with IE6 on XP, IE7 Vista, IE8 Win7... All IE's(begrudgingly <g>)were set to default security settings prior to access.
>
> If I navigate while still signed on with that same Hotmail account Live ID to Home.live.com, the Mail status shows 'Your inbox is
> empty right now' when in fact accessing the Inbox shows 6 messages.
>
> Lol...Returning to either page (my.msn.com or home.live.com) without signing off, yields acceptable results...everything updated
> and accessible. Go figure.
>
> Fyi...
> *My.Live.com (which refers to the modules as gadgets) and more user configurable for controlling content(tabs called pages are used
> for different subject categories) functioned without issue for Hotmail and other gadgets(News, Sports, Weather, iTunes)
>
> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>> FYI: I have a Windows Live ID, but have never used Hotmail and have the same issue. Apparently, it is not just a Hotmail user
>> problem.

<SNIP>
PA Bear, MS MVP

Re: my msn problem
Also see http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...SNPreview.mspx
(Thanks, Bruce!)

On Nov 5, 10:53*am, "PA Bear, MS MVP" wrote:
> [x-post to IE General]
>
> This just in!...
>
> Microsoft Redesigns MSN Portal
> <QP>
> The redesign, which has been in the works for months, bears quite a
> bit of resemblance to the one that Microsoft had been testing in
> France.
>
> Microsoft late Tuesday began rolling out the new MSN home page
> [http://preview.msn.com/], which it says will become widely
> available in the U.S. early in 2010.
>
> With its new look, the home page has about half as many links as the
> video, news, shopping, and search.
>
> The old site had dozens of text links at the top and bottom of the
> page for everything from horoscopes to white pages to a free trial of
> MSN's dial-up Internet service.
>
> The company has, in the past, tried to make changes that its users saw
> as too radical, such as a 2007 overhaul of Hotmail that the company
> was forced to significantly scale back. Visse said he isn't as worried
> about that, given that users were already complaining that the site
> was both dated and overstuffed with links.
>
> "We were, frankly, at a point where customers are complaining about
> the clutter," he said.
>
> Microsoft is also trying to tap into the popularity of social
> networks, adding a column on the right-hand side that lets users peek
> at their Windows Live, Twitter, and Facebook feeds, and even update
> their status or post a tweet. As before, users can also see a preview
> of their Hotmail in-box.
>
> But it will take its time in jumping on the Web apps bandwagon, with
> plans to offer several Silverlight-based apps on the right-hand side
> of the redesigned page at a later date. In the past, MSN users have
> not customized their pages to a large degree, and so Microsoft is
> going to take a wait-and-see approach before it decides whether it
> will roll out more apps than the Windows Live, Twitter, and Facebook
> apps available at launch...
> </QP>
> Source:http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10389587-265.html

<snip>
Bruce Hagen

Re: my msn problem
Meanwhile.............

The Top Personalized Start Pages
Which Custom Home Page Is Right For You?
http://webtrends.about.com/od/person...tart-Pages.htm
--
~Bruce

"PA Bear, MS MVP" <pabearmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
Also see
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...SNPreview.mspx
(Thanks, Bruce!)

On Nov 5, 10:53 am, "PA Bear, MS MVP" wrote:
> [x-post to IE General]
>
> This just in!...
>
> Microsoft Redesigns MSN Portal
> <QP>
> The redesign, which has been in the works for months, bears quite a
> bit of resemblance to the one that Microsoft had been testing in
> France.
>
> Microsoft late Tuesday began rolling out the new MSN home page
> [http://preview.msn.com/], which it says will become widely
> available in the U.S. early in 2010.
>
> With its new look, the home page has about half as many links as the
> video, news, shopping, and search.
>
> The old site had dozens of text links at the top and bottom of the
> page for everything from horoscopes to white pages to a free trial of
> MSN's dial-up Internet service.
>
> The company has, in the past, tried to make changes that its users saw
> as too radical, such as a 2007 overhaul of Hotmail that the company
> was forced to significantly scale back. Visse said he isn't as worried
> about that, given that users were already complaining that the site
> was both dated and overstuffed with links.
>
> "We were, frankly, at a point where customers are complaining about
> the clutter," he said.
>
> Microsoft is also trying to tap into the popularity of social
> networks, adding a column on the right-hand side that lets users peek
> at their Windows Live, Twitter, and Facebook feeds, and even update
> their status or post a tweet. As before, users can also see a preview
> of their Hotmail in-box.
>
> But it will take its time in jumping on the Web apps bandwagon, with
> plans to offer several Silverlight-based apps on the right-hand side
> of the redesigned page at a later date. In the past, MSN users have
> not customized their pages to a large degree, and so Microsoft is
> going to take a wait-and-see approach before it decides whether it
> will roll out more apps than the Windows Live, Twitter, and Facebook
> apps available at launch...
> </QP>
> Source:http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10389587-265.html

<snip>

bobster

Re: my msn problem
Any news about an upgrade to my.msn.com?

...winston

Re: my msn problem
Nothing mentioned in the press pass or the preview.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...SNPreview.mspx

http://preview.msn.com/

After sign on with a Live ID at the latter, click on Settings, MyMsn is an option.
- at this end it loaded the same MyMsn page that I've seen for quite some time(still retaining my personalized
settings)...nothing new.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message news:uw96cHlXKHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Any news about an upgrade to my.msn.com?

Re: my msn problem
Have you read any of the other replies posted today?

bobster wrote:
> Any news about an upgrade to my.msn.com?

bobster

Re: my msn problem
Yes, PA, I have. Apparently you don't know the difference between msn.com
and my.msn.com. They are two completely different things and all of the
whether there will also be changes in my.msn.com as well as msn.com. Your
constant confrontational tone gets wearing.

Re: my msn problem
<kindly> Your snipping the quoted conversation in your replies gets wearing,
too, my friend. Who knows to what or to whom you're referring when you do
that?

bobster wrote:
> Yes, PA, I have. Apparently you don't know the difference between
> msn.com
> and my.msn.com. They are two completely different things and all of the
> whether there will also be changes in my.msn.com as well as msn.com. Your
> constant confrontational tone gets wearing.

bobster

Re: my msn problem

Touche, Bear
I had unchecked "include message in reply" as that is my normal mode in
personal emails, but I forget to re-enable it for this board. Sorry about
that.

bobster wrote:
> Yes, PA, I have. Apparently you don't know the difference between
> msn.com
> and my.msn.com. They are two completely different things and all of the
> whether there will also be changes in my.msn.com as well as msn.com. Your
> constant confrontational tone gets wearing.

...winston

Re: my msn problem
Posted earlier in this thread.....regarding mymsn.com, nothing new at this end.
The only recent info was posted by Bruce H in this forum on an inability to access support request that yield a 'yes we're aware of
it, unsure when resolution will occur'. Nothing about upgrading my.msn nor have I seen anything released elsewhere.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail