Windows Explorer changed the layout of my MSN homepage

Oliver Costich

Windows Explorer changed the layout of my MSN homepage
I upgraded to Windows 7 and all was OK . I ran Windows Update and
installed something for Windows Explorer. Now the layout for my
homepage, my.msn.com is completely different. It removed most of my
content and put in a lot of MSN junk. It also lost all my stock
listings.

Now the weird part: Firefox still sees my.msn.com the way it was
before. What happened and how do I fox it?

Re: Windows Explorer changed the layout of my MSN homepage
[Forwarded to MSN Discussion newsgroup via crosspost]

PS: Your lucky the my.msn.com page even opened! See this ongoing
discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...58a11d0d1bdd47
www.banthecheck.com

Oliver Costich wrote:
> I upgraded to Windows 7 and all was OK . I ran Windows Update and
> installed something for Windows Explorer. Now the layout for my
> homepage, my.msn.com is completely different. It removed most of my
> content and put in a lot of MSN junk. It also lost all my stock
> listings.
>
> Now the weird part: Firefox still sees my.msn.com the way it was
> before. What happened and how do I fox it?

Bruce Hagen

Re: Windows Explorer changed the layout of my MSN homepage
You are not alone. It is happening with no rhyme or reason as to operating
systems and browsers. See these recent threads.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...Scomcast.ne t

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...Scomcast.ne t
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Oliver Costich" <oc@5cats.net> wrote in message
>I upgraded to Windows 7 and all was OK . I ran Windows Update and
> installed something for Windows Explorer. Now the layout for my
> homepage, my.msn.com is completely different. It removed most of my
> content and put in a lot of MSN junk. It also lost all my stock
> listings.
>
> Now the weird part: Firefox still sees my.msn.com the way it was
> before. What happened and how do I fox it?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Windows Explorer changed the layout of my MSN homepage

"Oliver Costich" <oc@5cats.net> wrote in message news:md84f5tt6fcv9gnfu2ipp67elv224h5lgj@4ax.com...
>I upgraded to Windows 7 and all was OK . I ran Windows Update and
> installed something for Windows Explorer. Now the layout for my
> homepage, my.msn.com is completely different. It removed most of my
> content and put in a lot of MSN junk. It also lost all my stock
> listings.
>
> Now the weird part: Firefox still sees my.msn.com the way it was
> before. What happened and how do I fox it?

What happens if you use the Firefox User-Agent with IE instead?
E.g. you could do that using the User-Agent Picker tool available
from a link in this page:

http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx

Note that the UAPick tool requires IE8 but your OS includes that level
of browser functionality by default.

In fact, I understand that Firefox can also spoof User-Agent strings
so perhaps you could do it that way too.

Then any differences you would note in what was sent to the browser
could only be due to Cookies or what Firefox was using which was cached
but had changed (but was still being allowed to be used by the same URL)
You could confirm that what was arriving was identical by tracing
each case using Fiddler2.

There might still be differences to note in the rendering however. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---