Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8

[crosspost to IE General]

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type, in turn...

yahoo.com
facebook.com

and Allow cookies for the domains.

Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331
www.banthecheck.com

Doug Boynton wrote:
> Here's one I've never seen before.
>
> Upgraded Vista to Windows 7 (64 bit) over the weekend. Browser (IE8)
> open to Facebook and "My Yahoo" page in different tabs yesterday.
>
> Power went out.
>
> Reboot computer when power is restored; all is well, EXCEPT:
>
> Both Facebook and "My Yahoo" now tell me that cookies are not enabled
> on my computer, and both refuse to take me to "my" page.
>
> I have:
>
> - Cleaned out the cookie cache
> - Reset IE8 (twice)
> - Reinstalled IE8 (once)
> - Checked Firewall programs
>
> Every other page that uses cookies (even really secure ones, like
> banks/credit cards) work just fine. Only the two pages that were up
> when the power went out. Other Mozilla browser (Flock) works fine, no
> cookie problem. Only IE8 has the problem, and only on those two
> websites.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Doug Boynton

Doug Boynton

Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8
Running:

Microsoft Security Essentials
Spybot Search and Destroy

Norton was on the machine when new with Vista, ran Norton Removal Tool
first thing, installed Microsoft Live One Care.

Deleted Microsoft One Care per upgrade instructions, installed
Security Essentials when Windows 7 upgrade completed.

I've tried stopping/reinstalling these programs...no joy.

Thanks.

-- Doug Boynton

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 18:29:58 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>[crosspost to IE General]
>
>What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
>What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
>Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
>it)?
>
>IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type, in turn...
>
> yahoo.com
> facebook.com
>
>and Allow cookies for the domains.
>
>Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331

Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8
Did you also download/run the OneCare cleanup tool?

Doug Boynton wrote:
> Running:
>
> Microsoft Security Essentials
> Spybot Search and Destroy
>
> Norton was on the machine when new with Vista, ran Norton Removal Tool
> first thing, installed Microsoft Live One Care.
>
> Deleted Microsoft One Care per upgrade instructions, installed
> Security Essentials when Windows 7 upgrade completed.
>
> I've tried stopping/reinstalling these programs...no joy.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Doug Boynton
>

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 18:29:58 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [crosspost to IE General]

>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: type, in turn...
>>
>> yahoo.com
>> facebook.com
>>
>> and Allow cookies for the domains.
>>
>> Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299331

Doug Boynton

Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:53:50 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>OneCare cleanup tool

Well, that's interesting. Didn't see instructions for a "cleanup
tool" in the uninstall details for One Care. But...found it online,
downloaded and ran it.

The cleanup tool says I'm not an administrator for this computer, and
aborts.

But I am. I'm the only user, and an administator.

Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

-- Doug Boynton
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Doug Boynton wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:53:50 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OneCare cleanup tool

> Well, that's interesting. Didn't see instructions for a "cleanup
> tool" in the uninstall details for One Care. But...found it online,
> downloaded and ran it.
>
> The cleanup tool says I'm not an administrator for this computer, and
> aborts.
>
> But I am. I'm the only user, and an administator.
>
> Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.
>
> -- Doug Boynton

Right click the .exe file -> select "Run as Administrator".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Doug Boynton

Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8
Okay...ran One Care Cleanup. No joy.

("Run As Administrator" new to me.)

In the process of fiddling around, created new user account and had no
problem with either website using the new account.

So...something has been corrupted in my account, yes?

Thanks for all the help.

-- Doug Boynton

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:24:26 +0100, "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]"
<enzodirusso@xoom.it> wrote:

>Doug Boynton wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:53:50 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
>> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> OneCare cleanup tool

>> Well, that's interesting. Didn't see instructions for a "cleanup
>> tool" in the uninstall details for One Care. But...found it online,
>> downloaded and ran it.
>>
>> The cleanup tool says I'm not an administrator for this computer, and
>> aborts.
>>
>> But I am. I'm the only user, and an administator.
>>
>> Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.
>>
>> -- Doug Boynton

>Right click the .exe file -> select "Run as Administrator".

Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8
That's certainly a possibility, especially if your OneCare subscription had
expired before you installed MSE.

MSE Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...S/category/mse

Doug Boynton wrote:
> Okay...ran One Care Cleanup. No joy.
>
> ("Run As Administrator" new to me.)
>
> In the process of fiddling around, created new user account and had no
> problem with either website using the new account.
>
> So...something has been corrupted in my account, yes?
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> -- Doug Boynton
>

> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:24:26 +0100, "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]"
> <enzodirusso@xoom.it> wrote:
>
>> Doug Boynton wrote:

>>> Well, that's interesting. Didn't see instructions for a "cleanup
>>> tool" in the uninstall details for One Care. But...found it online,
>>> downloaded and ran it.
>>>
>>> The cleanup tool says I'm not an administrator for this computer, and
>>> aborts.
>>>
>>> But I am. I'm the only user, and an administator.
>>>
>>> Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.
>>>
>>> -- Doug Boynton

>> Right click the .exe file -> select "Run as Administrator".

Doug Boynton

Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8
No, it had not expired; but it was suggested that I uninstall it
during the upgrade; and install Essentials, instead.

-- db --

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 16:26:39 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>That's certainly a possibility, especially if your OneCare subscription had
>expired before you installed MSE.
>
>MSE Support Forums
>http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...S/category/mse
>

>Doug Boynton wrote:
>> Okay...ran One Care Cleanup. No joy.
>>
>> ("Run As Administrator" new to me.)
>>
>> In the process of fiddling around, created new user account and had no
>> problem with either website using the new account.
>>
>> So...something has been corrupted in my account, yes?
>>
>> Thanks for all the help.
>>
>> -- Doug Boynton
>>

>> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:24:26 +0100, "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]"
>> <enzodirusso@xoom.it> wrote:

>>> Right click the .exe file -> select "Run as Administrator".

Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8
IE in No Add-ons mode:

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

Doug Boynton wrote:
> No, it had not expired; but it was suggested that I uninstall it
> during the upgrade; and install Essentials, instead.
>
> -- db --
>

> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 16:26:39 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's certainly a possibility, especially if your OneCare subscription
>> had
>> expired before you installed MSE.
>>
>> MSE Support Forums
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...S/category/mse
>>

>> Doug Boynton wrote:
>>> Okay...ran One Care Cleanup. No joy.
>>>
>>> ("Run As Administrator" new to me.)
>>>
>>> In the process of fiddling around, created new user account and had no
>>> problem with either website using the new account.
>>>
>>> So...something has been corrupted in my account, yes?
>>>
>>> Thanks for all the help.
>>>
>>> -- Doug Boynton

Doug Boynton

Re: Cookies problem - Windows 7, IE8
Yes, I tried resetting IE's advanced settings.

However - the behavior stops when I run in no add-ons mode.

Clearly, this is worth playing with some more.

Thanks! There's hope!

;^)

-- Doug Boynton