Data Execution Prevention

mag

Data Execution Prevention

Running XPPro with SP3.

I just upgraded from IE6 to IE8 and now cannot print on my default printer
in some programs--I get a Data Execution Prevention message that "to help
protect your computer Windows has closed this program". I haven't changed
any of the settings.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled the printer but that hasn't helped. I
can't even print a test page without getting this message!

Would appreciate any advice. I actually quite like IE8 and would prefer to
find a fix than go back to IE6.

Thanks,

Maggie

Leonard Grey

Re: Data Execution Prevention
Data Execution Prevention was created to combat malware, so the first
thing to suspect when you get a DEP warning is that your computer is
infected with malware.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

mag wrote:
> Running XPPro with SP3.
>
> I just upgraded from IE6 to IE8 and now cannot print on my default printer
> in some programs--I get a Data Execution Prevention message that "to help
> protect your computer Windows has closed this program". I haven't changed
> any of the settings.
>
> I uninstalled and then reinstalled the printer but that hasn't helped. I
> can't even print a test page without getting this message!
>
> Would appreciate any advice. I actually quite like IE8 and would prefer to
> find a fix than go back to IE6.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maggie

mag

Re: Data Execution Prevention

I run malwarebytes and superantispyware regularly and keep the computer
clean.

This just started when I went from IE6 to IE8 last week.

> Data Execution Prevention was created to combat malware, so the first
> thing to suspect when you get a DEP warning is that your computer is
> infected with malware.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> mag wrote:
>> Running XPPro with SP3.
>>
>> I just upgraded from IE6 to IE8 and now cannot print on my default
>> printer in some programs--I get a Data Execution Prevention message that
>> "to help protect your computer Windows has closed this program". I
>> haven't changed any of the settings.
>>
>> I uninstalled and then reinstalled the printer but that hasn't helped. I
>> can't even print a test page without getting this message!
>>
>> Would appreciate any advice. I actually quite like IE8 and would prefer
>> to find a fix than go back to IE6.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Maggie

Bob Lucas

Re: Data Execution Prevention
You have upgraded from IE6 to IE8, so I presume your operating
system is Windows XP. Which version of XP (including service
packs)?

What other security software are you running?

Which programs trigger DEP, when you try to print to your default
printer? Are you able to print from other programs? What is the
printer make and model?

I can't comment upon whether your upgrade from IE6 to IE8 has led
to the the problem with DEP. However, you might find some useful
info at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352.

I have cross-posted this response to the
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support newsgroup, because
you could have a problem with Win XP or the printer drivers, or
other software - as opposed to Internet Explorer..

"mag" <the1mag@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I run malwarebytes and superantispyware regularly and keep the
> computer clean.
>
> This just started when I went from IE6 to IE8 last week.

>> Data Execution Prevention was created to combat malware, so
>> the first thing to suspect when you get a DEP warning is that
>> your computer is infected with malware.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> mag wrote:
>>> Running XPPro with SP3.
>>>
>>> I just upgraded from IE6 to IE8 and now cannot print on my
>>> default printer in some programs--I get a Data Execution
>>> Prevention message that "to help protect your computer
>>> Windows has closed this program". I haven't changed any of
>>> the settings.
>>>
>>> I uninstalled and then reinstalled the printer but that
>>> hasn't helped. I can't even print a test page without getting
>>> this message!
>>>
>>> Would appreciate any advice. I actually quite like IE8 and
>>> would prefer to find a fix than go back to IE6.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Maggie

mag

"Bob Lucas" <bob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You have upgraded from IE6 to IE8, so I presume your operating system is
> Windows XP. Which version of XP (including service packs)?

XPPro with SP3 and all updates

> What other security software are you running?

McAfee runs in the background as does Windows Defender and Spyware Blaster.

I run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware probably weekly

> Which programs trigger DEP, when you try to print to your default printer?
> Are you able to print from other programs? What is the printer make and
> model?

The printer is an Epson faxphone laser

We use the UPS online shipping service and I can't labels on that printer so
I've been using a shared printer in another part of the office, an Epson
inkjet of some kind. I can print Outlook messages, invoices from Peachtree
and html attachments to outlook messages. Someone from UPS asked me to print
a test page directly from the printer and that wouldn't work which is why I
uninstalled the printer and then reinstalled it but still couldn't print a
test page.

> I can't comment upon whether your upgrade from IE6 to IE8 has led to the
> the problem with DEP. However, you might find some useful info at
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352.

I'll look at that, thanks

> I have cross-posted this response to the
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support newsgroup, because you could
> have a problem with Win XP or the printer drivers, or other software - as
> opposed to Internet Explorer..

and will go there.

Thanks for your help.

Maggie

> "mag" <the1mag@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I run malwarebytes and superantispyware regularly and keep the computer
>> clean.
>>
>> This just started when I went from IE6 to IE8 last week.
>>

>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Data Execution Prevention was created to combat malware, so the first
>>> thing to suspect when you get a DEP warning is that your computer is
>>> infected with malware.
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare humanum est

Bob Lucas

Re: Data Execution Prevention
Hmm! I am not a fan of McAfee. Equally, I have no real grounds
for believing it has anything to do with the DEP issue.

However, when I Googled against using Spyware Blaster with McAfee
products, several leads pointed to possible compatibility issues.
You could try disabling Spyware Blaster as a temporary measure -
just in case that resolves the printing problem.

One other thing. You confirmed that you can print OK from
Outlook - but cannot print a test page (from Win XP ??). Can you
print from other programs, such as Word for Windows or Excel.

Are you using Internet Explorer to download and print the UPS
labels. Is it a conventional web page - or is it a PDF document
(using the PDF add-on). I wonder what would happen, if you
installed an alternative browser.

And can you print other web pages from Internet Explorer (without
triggering a DEP shutdown)?

However, I am out of my comfort zone here, so I hope some of the
experts in the Win XP newsgroup will be able to help.

> "Bob Lucas" <bob@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> You have upgraded from IE6 to IE8, so I presume your operating
>> system is Windows XP. Which version of XP (including service
>> packs)?

> XPPro with SP3 and all updates
>
>> What other security software are you running?

> McAfee runs in the background as does Windows Defender and
> Spyware Blaster.
>
> I run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware probably weekly
>
>> Which programs trigger DEP, when you try to print to your
>> default printer? Are you able to print from other programs?
>> What is the printer make and model?

> The printer is an Epson faxphone laser
>
> We use the UPS online shipping service and I can't labels on
> that printer so I've been using a shared printer in another
> part of the office, an Epson inkjet of some kind. I can print
> Outlook messages, invoices from Peachtree and html attachments
> to outlook messages. Someone from UPS asked me to print a test
> page directly from the printer and that wouldn't work which is
> why I uninstalled the printer and then reinstalled it but still
> couldn't print a test page.
>
>> I can't comment upon whether your upgrade from IE6 to IE8 has
>> led to the the problem with DEP. However, you might find some
>> useful info at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352.

> I'll look at that, thanks
>

>> I have cross-posted this response to the
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support newsgroup, because
>> you could have a problem with Win XP or the printer drivers,
>> or other software - as opposed to Internet Explorer..

> and will go there.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Maggie
>>

>> "mag" <the1mag@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I run malwarebytes and superantispyware regularly and keep
>>> the computer clean.
>>>
>>> This just started when I went from IE6 to IE8 last week.

mag

Re: Data Execution Prevention

I've found on various help websites that this DEP thing is a big problem in
IE8 for some reason. May just have to go back to IE6.