Opening multiple Excel files from IE browser does not open in new instance
of Excel. Registry settings are set to ensure that each .XLS file is opened
in a new instance of Excel.
This is a painful problem since we have simoultaneous applications that may
need to run ont he user machine and we always want them to open in a new
window regardless if they were opened from IE or double clicked or not!
These .XLS applications are opened via IE.
2. Office 2007
3. Followed instructions here to ensure every .XLS file opens in a new
4. Open 2 different ..XLS files from IE, and they *ALWAYS* open in the same
instance of Excel, OR they open in the first instance of Excel that was
opened prior to opening .XLS files from IE.
How to repro:
1. Follow steps in link above (including comments below article if
2. Double click any 2 .xls files on your computer/lan/network, but not from
RESULTS: Files open in seperate instances of Excel! Wonderful!
3. Leave those files open noting which one was opened first and which one
was opened second.
4. Open ANY .xls file from IE browser (Google search for filetype:xls will
bring up a few random ones)
RESULTS: File opens in the FIRST instance of Excel that you opened. File
does NOT open in new instance of Excel.
5. Close all files
6. Repeat step 4 twice (so 2 different .xls files are opened)
RESULTS: Files open in the same instance of Excel. Second file does NOT
open in new instance of Excel.
We *need* each file opened from IE to respect the Windows settings for
opening in a new instance of Excel per workbook. We do not want them to
open in the same window as the browser either (e.g. Excel opens inside of IE
window), so that solution is not available to us either.
This looks to me like a bug that Internet Explorer is not respecting the
Windows setting for opening each file in a new window. Any way I can get
the IE shell to respect the settings for Excel (or any other program I want
to open in seperate windows)???
Please help! TIA