IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install

Bruce M

IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install
The above automatic (I manually control)) update has just mangled my use of
the internet. First, it disabled my use of Google Mail, which was enough to
remove the update via control panel. It was not removed; and persists even in
this comment window.

To use my daily dose of words from A. Word. A. Day., today's is
"daymare"--what a coincidence! IE is my daymare. After 15 years using IE, by
the end of today it will be gone from my computer forever. The next project
will be to phase out MS all together.
--
hbm
JohnBurns

RE: IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install
Strange.......I installed the update on 3 home pc's with no problem.
Everything went smoothly and no problems encountered.

"Bruce M" wrote:

> The above automatic (I manually control)) update has just mangled my use of
> the internet. First, it disabled my use of Google Mail, which was enough to
> remove the update via control panel. It was not removed; and persists even in
> this comment window.
>
> To use my daily dose of words from A. Word. A. Day., today's is
> "daymare"--what a coincidence! IE is my daymare. After 15 years using IE, by
> the end of today it will be gone from my computer forever. The next project
> will be to phase out MS all together.
> --
> hbm

Re: IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install
[Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7 RC; Win7) when posting in a forum or newsgroup.
Please do so in your next reply so we can proceed further.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
www.banthecheck.com

Bruce M wrote:
> The above automatic (I manually control)) update has just mangled my use
> of
> the internet. First, it disabled my use of Google Mail, which was enough
> remove the update via control panel. It was not removed; and persists even
> in this comment window.
>
> To use my daily dose of words from A. Word. A. Day., today's is
> "daymare"--what a coincidence! IE is my daymare. After 15 years using IE,
> by
> the end of today it will be gone from my computer forever. The next
> project
> will be to phase out MS all together.

JustSayin is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install
I also had trouble after installing this update. It effectively disabled my wireless network. Although I was "connected" to the router, no wireless networks showed up. It was the only update that I installed today. Multiple reboots of the laptop and router did not fix. Had to do a system restore to yesterday's date in order to correct the problem. Win XP Pro SP3 running Norton Internet Security 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bear [MS MVP] View Post
[Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7 RC; Win7) when posting in a forum or newsgroup.
Please do so in your next reply so we can proceed further.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
BleepingComputer.com -> Hey, Software "Vendors", Stop installing FLUFF with your security updates !!!

Bruce M wrote:
> The above automatic (I manually control)) update has just mangled my use
> of
> the internet. First, it disabled my use of Google Mail, which was enough
> remove the update via control panel. It was not removed; and persists even
> in this comment window.
>
> To use my daily dose of words from A. Word. A. Day., today's is
> "daymare"--what a coincidence! IE is my daymare. After 15 years using IE,
> by
> the end of today it will be gone from my computer forever. The next
> project
> will be to phase out MS all together.

Re: IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post. Thank you.

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

JustSayin wrote:
> I also had trouble after installing this update. It effectively
> disabled my wireless network. Although I was "connected" to the router,
> no wireless networks showed up. It was the only update that I installed
> today. Multiple reboots of the laptop and router did not fix. Had to
> do a system restore to yesterday's date in order to correct the problem.
> Win XP Pro SP3 running Norton Internet Security 2008.

ROIRecruiting.com

On Nov 3, 12:50*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7 RC; Win7) when posting in a forum or newsgroup.
> Please do so in your next reply so we can proceed further.

> subscription current? *What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.comBruce M wrote:
> > The above automatic (I manually control)) update has just mangled my use
> > of
> > the internet. First, it disabled my use of Google Mail, which was enough
> > remove the update via control panel. It was not removed; and persists even
> > in this comment window.

> > To use my daily dose of words from A. Word. A. Day., today's is
> > "daymare"--what a coincidence! IE is my daymare. After 15 years using IE,
> > by
> > the end of today it will be gone from my computer forever. The next
> > project
> > will be to phase out MS all together.

This update also disabled my internet connectivity by evidently
changing the LAN IP Address (I viewed this in Zone Alarm Pro under my
trusted zones). As I was unsure as to how to edit, I simply un-
installed the update and connectivity was restored. System is Vista
64, SP2, IE 8 and Firefox 3.5.

Windows update is now prompting to install again, (automatic update is
set to require my ok). Which I will not do until I've found
satisfactory information on the issue and resolution.

Re: IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install
ROIRecruiting.com wrote:
<snip>
> This update also disabled my internet connectivity by evidently
> changing the LAN IP Address (I viewed this in Zone Alarm Pro under my
> trusted zones). As I was unsure as to how to edit, I simply un-
> installed the update and connectivity was restored. System is Vista
> 64, SP2, IE 8 and Firefox 3.5.
>
> Windows update is now prompting to install again, (automatic update is
> set to require my ok). Which I will not do until I've found
> satisfactory information on the issue and resolution.

To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

Tip: "Hide" the update.

Magician

On Nov 4, 5:28*am, Bruce M <Bru...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> The above automatic (I manually control)) update has just mangled my use of
> the internet. First, it disabled my use of Google Mail, which was enough to
> remove the update via control panel. It was not removed; and persists even in
> this comment window.
>
> To use my daily dose of words from A. Word. A. Day., today's is
> "daymare"--what a coincidence! IE is my daymare. After 15 years using IE,by
> the end of today it will be gone from my computer forever. The next project
> will be to phase out MS all together.
> --
> hbm

This update installed automatically at 3am this morning, without
prompting me and without any action/intervention from me.

My Automatic Updates are set to "Download, but let me choose when to
install".

My computer was also rebooted without prompting me or any action from
me.

After rebooting, my Automatic Updates setting was changed to
"Automatic".

Has anyone else experienced this, and how do I prevent this from
occurring again?
Mickey D

RE: IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install
I have never had problems with MS updates previously.

However, update KB976749 produced problems similar to those of Bruce M. on
restart after the update loaded, the computer had lost all installed printers
and all internet connectivity (and maybe more). Restoring the configuration
to the restore point when the update loaded did not work (the restore point
was unusable somehow). Using the last routine save point restored the
computers functionality (Lenovo R61 running Vista Ultimate 32-bit with Intel
Core2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20 GHz).

Windows Update now insists that I need to load that update again (I tried
and receive only an error message).

- Mickey D.

"Bruce M" wrote:

> The above automatic (I manually control)) update has just mangled my use of
> the internet. First, it disabled my use of Google Mail, which was enough to
> remove the update via control panel. It was not removed; and persists even in
> this comment window.
>
> To use my daily dose of words from A. Word. A. Day., today's is
> "daymare"--what a coincidence! IE is my daymare. After 15 years using IE, by
> the end of today it will be gone from my computer forever. The next project
> will be to phase out MS all together.
> --
> hbm

JP

Re: IE Security Update (kb976749) - 11/03/2009 install
I believe so. This was an RMA purchase, someone else had bought and
returned. They did some work on it before returning including installing and
then removing some security software.

Currently have Zone Alarm Pro FW 2010. Had Zone Alarm Suite 2009, had to
switch due to report in upgrade advisor that old version was incompatible w/
WIN 7 (prepping for move). Since I lost some applications (AV, etc) in
making the move. I added AVG AV. System had another firewall probably from
the other user. Don't know which.