PA Bear query

bm

PA Bear query
I asked a question about Windows Explorer and after a person had replied the
topic disappeared
It suddenly appeared again when a reply from PA Bear appeared giving me the
correct news group
When I applied the news group identity everything disappeared again
At present the topic is not shown at all
How has this happened?
Blair

Bob Lucas

Re: PA Bear query
Newsgroup servers do not retain messages indefinitely, so old
messages may no longer be available.

However, your headers indicate that you are using Outlook Express
as your newsgroup reader. Access to individual posts will be
affected by the way OE has been configured. For instance, OE can
be configured to hide all posts that are more than xx days old.
It can also be configured to hide messages, once they have been
read. Consequently, you need to review your settings in Outlook
Express.

Open OE and click on View / Layout. Make sure the Folder List
has been enabled.

Then, check that the list of folders (left hand side of the
window) includes the name of the newsgroup you want to view. If
the name is missing, you will need to subscribe to the newsgroup.
(Tools / Accounts / News - Add)

Click on Tools / Options / Maintenance. Make sure the boxes
marked "Delete read message bodies in newsgroups" and "Delete
news messages xx days after being downloaded" have not been
checked. (Removing checks from these boxes will not prevent you
from reverting to the previous selection in the future).

Then, select the name of the newsgroup in the Folder List. Click
on View / Current View and select "Show All Messages". (This
will not prevent you from choosing a different option in the
future).

Right click on the name of the newsgroup and select
"Synchronization Settings". At this stage, "All Messages" is
probably the best option. Then, click on Send/Receive (at the
top of the page), to download all messages that have not been
downloaded previously. View the resulting list of messages.
Have the missing posts reappeared?

If not, right click on the name of the newsgroup and click on
Properties / Local File. Click on Reset.

Finally, click on Send/Receive (at the top of the page), to
download all messages that are still on the server.

"bm" <Darroch@aol.com> wrote in message
> I asked a question about Windows Explorer and after a person
> had replied the topic disappeared
> It suddenly appeared again when a reply from PA Bear appeared
> giving me the correct news group
> When I applied the news group identity everything disappeared
> again
> At present the topic is not shown at all
> How has this happened?
> Blair

Re: PA Bear query
With OE open to IE General newsgroup: View | Current view | Show all
messages (you may have 'Hide read messages' selected).

CTRL+H will display only "your" threads (as will View | Current view | Show
replies to my messages).

I'd pointed you to WinXP General newsgroup [1] for help with Windows
Explorer
(vs Internet Explorer):

More tips on using OE Newsreader:

Tools | Options | Read | Get XXX headers at a time

The default is 300. You may set this option as high as 1,000. Right-click
on the newsgroup in Folders pane | Synchronization Settings | select New
Messages Only. Now every time you open the newsgroup (or hit F5), you will
download the next-newest set of headers/messages.

When you feel you've downloaded enough headers/messages, again right-click
on the newsgroup in Folders pane and select Catch Up Now. This will Mark as
Read all messages on the server, including ones you've not yet downloaded.
Now return to "Get XXX headers at a time" and uncheck the option completely;
then compact the folder.

From now on, OE will only download headers/messages posted to the server
since you last checked (polled) for messages.

You should probably visit this page, too:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#cleannews (lotsa good stuff
there).

Need more help? Post in the OE-specific newsgroup:

==========
[1] You began a new thread in WinXP General about your LaCie external drive
on 21 Oct-09:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...396754e6e38ff/
~~
www.banthecheck.com

bm wrote:
> I asked a question about Windows Explorer and after a person had replied
> the
> topic disappeared
> It suddenly appeared again when a reply from PA Bear appeared giving me
> the
> correct news group
> When I applied the news group identity everything disappeared again
> At present the topic is not shown at all
> How has this happened?
> Blair

bm

Re: PA Bear query
Many thanks for your help IT has been a great help
Blair

"Bob Lucas" <bob@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Newsgroup servers do not retain messages indefinitely, so old messages may
> no longer be available.
>
> However, your headers indicate that you are using Outlook Express as your
> newsgroup reader. Access to individual posts will be affected by the way
> OE has been configured. For instance, OE can be configured to hide all
> posts that are more than xx days old. It can also be configured to hide
> messages, once they have been read. Consequently, you need to review your
> settings in Outlook Express.
>
> Open OE and click on View / Layout. Make sure the Folder List has been
> enabled.
>
> Then, check that the list of folders (left hand side of the window)
> includes the name of the newsgroup you want to view. If the name is
> missing, you will need to subscribe to the newsgroup. (Tools / Accounts /
> News - Add)
>
> Click on Tools / Options / Maintenance. Make sure the boxes marked
> "Delete read message bodies in newsgroups" and "Delete news messages xx
> days after being downloaded" have not been checked. (Removing checks from
> these boxes will not prevent you from reverting to the previous selection
> in the future).
>
> Then, select the name of the newsgroup in the Folder List. Click on View
> / Current View and select "Show All Messages". (This will not prevent you
> from choosing a different option in the future).
>
> Right click on the name of the newsgroup and select "Synchronization
> Settings". At this stage, "All Messages" is probably the best option.
> Then, click on Send/Receive (at the top of the page), to download all
> messages that have not been downloaded previously. View the resulting
> list of messages. Have the missing posts reappeared?
>
> If not, right click on the name of the newsgroup and click on Properties /
> Local File. Click on Reset.
>
> Finally, click on Send/Receive (at the top of the page), to download all
> messages that are still on the server.
>

> "bm" <Darroch@aol.com> wrote in message
>> I asked a question about Windows Explorer and after a person had replied
>> the topic disappeared
>> It suddenly appeared again when a reply from PA Bear appeared giving me
>> the correct news group
>> When I applied the news group identity everything disappeared again
>> At present the topic is not shown at all
>> How has this happened?
>> Blair

bm

Re: PA Bear query
Many thanks. I now appreciate the mistakes I have been making
Am still digesting your comments
Blair