IE 8 displaying web pages

Nova_xv

IE 8 displaying web pages
I am having a horrible time trying to get www.ae.com to load properly so i
can pay my credit card bill, i can get into it in private viewing mode but
sometimes thats a bother i just want my IE to work correctly with out getting
a 404 error 60 times a day
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 8 displaying web pages

"Nova_xv" <Novaxv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0EFEC75-8C16-4E62-835F-40C5133407B5@microsoft.com...
>I am having a horrible time trying to get www.ae.com to load properly so i
> can pay my credit card bill, i can get into it in private viewing mode but
> sometimes thats a bother i just want my IE to work correctly with out getting
> a 404 error 60 times a day

If it is really a 404 you have the wrong URL or perhaps malware
intercepting and redirecting to the wrong server. Etc.

---

rob^_^

Re: IE 8 displaying web pages
Hi Nova,

No problems accessing the site (www.ae.com) on Vista x86 SP2, and IE8 (from
Australia).

A 404 error is a "Page not found" error and indicates that there is a
missing page on the website , but....

Have you been doing Windows updates?

ae.com is on the Microsoft Compatibility List.

To correctly load and view that site your need.

The latest list of sites from Microsoft (maintained in Windows Updates) and

Check "Include updated website information from Microsoft" on the
Compatibility View Settings Dialog. (Tools>Compatibility View Settings)
You can also manually add ae.com to your compatibility list.

also check that you have "Automatically recover from rendering errors with
Compatibility View" enabled on the Advanced tab of Internet Options.

If you are still getting "Page not found" errors (404) contact the site
administrators with details of the address of the page that is not found.
This error has nothing to do with the browser.

Regards.

"Nova_xv" <Novaxv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having a horrible time trying to get www.ae.com to load properly so i
> can pay my credit card bill, i can get into it in private viewing mode but
> sometimes thats a bother i just want my IE to work correctly with out
> getting
> a 404 error 60 times a day

Gordon

Re: IE 8 displaying web pages

> To correctly load and view that site your need.
>
> The latest list of sites from Microsoft (maintained in Windows Updates)
> and

WHAT "latest" list of sites? Since when did MS start dictating what sites an
individual can access?

rob^_^

Re: IE 8 displaying web pages
res://iecompat.dll/iecompatdata.xml

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> To correctly load and view that site your need.
>>
>> The latest list of sites from Microsoft (maintained in Windows Updates)
>> and
>>

> WHAT "latest" list of sites? Since when did MS start dictating what sites
> an individual can access?

Gordon

Re: IE 8 displaying web pages

> res://iecompat.dll/iecompatdata.xml

Why would MS need to maintain a file like that? How come Firefox and Opera
don't need anything like that? Seems remarkably un-necessary and
Big-Brotherish to me...

rob^_^

Re: IE 8 displaying web pages
Do a web search Gordon and educate yourself.

There is no privacy issues with this. The domains in this list are known to
be coded incorrectly (non w3 standards) and IE8 will automatically render
their pages in Compatibility View, without the need for the user pressing
the Compatibility View button.

(I would be more concerned about what your ISP is doing with your personally
identifiable information and surfing history, and which companies/affiliates
that they make that information available to. Read their privacy statement.)
Don't go swimming in the Big Pond!

Search this NG for "Press the Compatibility button". Having a centrally
maintained list reduces the need for support and volunteer personal to tell
customers of such.

As stated to the OP, this has nothing to do with site access to missing
pages. (404 errors).

Not knowing exactly what the OP was talking about... (404 errors v's 'Unable
to display webpage' errors from IE8's error handling), I was pointing out
that the site is known to be problematic (because it is coded junk). He can
correct those rendering errors automatically (instead of pressing the
Compatibility View button), by enabling the MS Compatibility list or
manually adding the domain to the list.

Have you found your own site in the list?

If you are running FX, turn off the Quality control. Your IP address and
browsing history is going straight to bugzilla when a 'bad' site is
encountered. They use a similar method to correct junk coding and report
suspicious sites.

The SmartScreen filter in IE8 enables you to anonymously report suspicious
web sites. (right click icon on status bar).

Bug reporting in IE8 is an optional Addon - Web site problem reporting tool
which was/is only available to registered beta testers.

Regards.