IE8

Baz

IE8
Hello
I have now twice tried to update to IE8 from IE7, using the windows update
website. On both occaisions, there was an error during the installation,
wereby a certain file could not be found and I had to Browse and direct the
upload programme to the file! It accepted my choice on both occaisions and
continued to update and complete the installation it said successfully!!
However when you tried to open IE nothing would happen. When I looked into
the Control panel the Internet Icon was missing!! I had no choice but to run
system restore to get IE7 back again. When I looked into the System
properties folder there is now no details /Data of any IE7 characteristics.
I have XP Pro SP3, and also had disabled the Antivurus (AVG9) during the
update.
Any help would be much welcomed, I have tried Google Chrome and noticed it
is slightly faster than IE7 but has a few Glitches, I was hoping IE8 would
be an improvement.
--
Regards Baz

--
Baz

Re: IE8
HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

environment.

=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020

=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB WinXP users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB Vista users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select
"Run as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

NB WinXP users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go
to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB972260). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

NB Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then
check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates
offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.
www.banthecheck.com

Baz wrote:
> Hello
> I have now twice tried to update to IE8 from IE7, using the windows update
> website. On both occaisions, there was an error during the installation,
> wereby a certain file could not be found and I had to Browse and direct
> the
> upload programme to the file! It accepted my choice on both occaisions
> and
> continued to update and complete the installation it said successfully!!
> However when you tried to open IE nothing would happen. When I looked
> into
> the Control panel the Internet Icon was missing!! I had no choice but to
> run system restore to get IE7 back again. When I looked into the System
> properties folder there is now no details /Data of any IE7
> characteristics.
> I have XP Pro SP3, and also had disabled the Antivurus (AVG9) during the
> update.
> Any help would be much welcomed, I have tried Google Chrome and noticed it
> is slightly faster than IE7 but has a few Glitches, I was hoping IE8 would
> be an improvement.
> --
> Regards Baz

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8

"Baz" <Baz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDB7942E-9C99-483C-B808-45CA12E1D1C9@microsoft.com...
> Hello
> I have now twice tried to update to IE8 from IE7, using the windows update
> website. On both occaisions, there was an error during the installation,
> wereby a certain file could not be found and I had to Browse and direct the
> upload programme to the file! It accepted my choice on both occaisions and
> continued to update and complete the installation it said successfully!!
> However when you tried to open IE nothing would happen.

What "certain file"? How were you made aware of this?
Perhaps there was another "uncertain file" that was also missing? <eg>

> When I looked into the Control panel the Internet Icon was missing!!

> I had no choice but to run system restore to get IE7 back again.

If that is all that was wrong you could have:
1. used Control Panel's Add Windows Components tool to re-enable
shortcuts for IE
2. Just created your own shortcuts for IE or
3. Run... iexplore.exe

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---