System crashes on installing IE 8 in Windows XP

Dora

System crashes on installing IE 8 in Windows XP
I have Windows XP Pro, service pack 2. I had IE 6, and I installed IE 8.
When I rebooted I got three system recovery from serious crash/ blue screen
errors. I uninstalled IE 8 and rebooted, and got no more errors.

Does not IE 8 work on Windows XP, or what's the deal? Or is IE 8 a piece of
crap?
rob^_^

Re: System crashes on installing IE 8 in Windows XP
Hi Dora,

Most problems (by far) are caused with incompatible Addons.

If you received the BSD (Blue screen of death) during windows startup, then
it is probably an older version of either the Google, AOL or Yahoo toolbars
that is causing the problem. (these addons, 'Call Home' during windows
startup to look for updates and report back to base (and who knows what else
they report).

An IE8 upgrade is available as an optional Windows Update. (and assumes that
your machine is fully up-to-date with previous windows updates)

Regardless of whether you are using 6/7or 8, keeping your machine up-to-date
offers the most security when surfing the internet.

Windows 7 comes with IE8 pre-installed.

I wouldn't go as far as saying IE8 is C.R.A.P.

<wink>A better statement is "IE8 works best on C.R.A.P free
computers."</wink>

Regards.

"Dora" <Dora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows XP Pro, service pack 2. I had IE 6, and I installed IE 8.
> When I rebooted I got three system recovery from serious crash/ blue
> screen
> errors. I uninstalled IE 8 and rebooted, and got no more errors.
>
> Does not IE 8 work on Windows XP, or what's the deal? Or is IE 8 a piece
> of
> crap?

rob^_^

Re: System crashes on installing IE 8 in Windows XP
Hi Again,

I forgot to mention some very important information. (from MVP RoBear).

NB: Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
Update website will not be available after 12 April 2010 until SP3 is
installed.

You will want to get WinXP SP3 installed before you install IE7 or IE8...

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

....or if you suspect you may need to do a Repair Install of WinXP (for
whatever reason)...

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
www.banthecheck.com