Upgrade from IE6 to IE8

antioch

Upgrade from IE6 to IE8
WIN XP SP3 - all security up to date.

I have noticed that some web sites are warning that they will no longer
support IE6 - some have stopped already. I think Google will be another.
I was wondering if it is OK to go from IE6 to IE8, missing IE7.
I tried IE7 some time back, and it just would not settle down, so I reverted
back.
Or I could change sides and go for Firefox or Google Chrome.

Rgds
Antioch

C A Upsdell

Re: Upgrade from IE6 to IE8
antioch wrote:
> WIN XP SP3 - all security up to date.
>
> I have noticed that some web sites are warning that they will no longer
> support IE6 - some have stopped already. I think Google will be another.
> I was wondering if it is OK to go from IE6 to IE8, missing IE7.
> I tried IE7 some time back, and it just would not settle down, so I reverted
> back.
> Or I could change sides and go for Firefox or Google Chrome.

Many designers would love it if people stopped using IE6, but the
reality is that most sites which refuse to support IE6 would lose a
large percentage of their visitors, so I don't see support for IE6
ending any time soon. Can you imagine Google, for example, turning away
20-30% of the people who want to use it?

Nonetheless, you should eventually upgrade IE, because newer versions
are more secure, and because many sites will work better with IE8.

Even if you switch to another browser, you will sometimes need IE, and
in today's environment you should try to make yourself as secure as you can.
Alan Edwards

Re: Upgrade from IE6 to IE8
Yes, it is OK to go from IE6 to IE8, missing IE7.

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:10:55 -0000, in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, "antioch"
<antioch@home.com> wrote:

>WIN XP SP3 - all security up to date.
>
>I have noticed that some web sites are warning that they will no longer
>support IE6 - some have stopped already. I think Google will be another.
>I was wondering if it is OK to go from IE6 to IE8, missing IE7.
>I tried IE7 some time back, and it just would not settle down, so I reverted
>back.
>Or I could change sides and go for Firefox or Google Chrome.
>
>Rgds
>Antioch

antioch

Re: Upgrade from IE6 to IE8

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Yes, it is OK to go from IE6 to IE8, missing IE7.
>
> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm

Thank you Alan and CA.
All noted.
I might go for Google Chrome if sites start to drop IE6, or get the IE8
disc.

Rgds
Antioch

undisclosed

Re: Upgrade from IE6 to IE8

You can download IE8 here: 'Internet Explorer 8: Home page'
(http://tinyurl.com/yekdzdl)
Have you seen the recent study conducted by NSS Labs that names
Internet Explorer 8 the best browser for protecting consumers against
malware and phishing attacks?
You can see the entire NSS study at 'Comparative Browser Security
Testing - Phishing & Socially Engineered Malware*-*nsslabs.com'
(http://nsslabs.com/browser-security)
Or read more about it here: 'IEBlog : Real-World Protection With IE8?s
SmartScreen Filter?' (http://tinyurl.com/npxzzf)
Cheers,
Kate
IE Outreach Team