Seeking a recommendation : IE 7 or IE 8

I'm currently running IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2...., and am looking to
upgrade as websites such as YouTube stop supporting this older version.
I would like to hear recommendations as to whether moving up to IE 8 would
be preferable to an interim step to IE 7. I'm also running Google chrome
browser, which is a good product. My only complaint is that it hangs on some
of the tabs within a given window, and can take a good deal of time to
refresh in such cases.

My OS is XP Pro with SP2, and my needs are to be able to browse sites which
are now, or soon to be, no longer supporting IE 6 and earlier versions.

Thanks in Advance

rob^_^

Re: Seeking a recommendation : IE 7 or IE 8
Hi B,

All web browsers will still be able to view old web pages. Some just try to
detect which browser version you are using and put up a message to upgrade
or change your browser.

IE8 has improved speed and reliability, but it too can view any old style
web page.

Most users have had problems upgrading from 6 to 8 because of the different
look and feel of IE8, and because of incompatible Addons.

If you are planning to upgrade to Win7 or purchase a replacement computer, I
would leave your machine as is (at least install SP3 though). IE8 is
pre-installed on Win7 and has the look and feel of a Vista or Win7
application.

If you are having problems viewing some web pages in IE6 then you may be
able to correct this by repairing your UserAgent string.

Go to http://www.enhanceie.com/ua.aspx to test and fix it.

Regards.

"B" <brad_roberts@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> I'm currently running IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2...., and am looking to
> upgrade as websites such as YouTube stop supporting this older version.
> I would like to hear recommendations as to whether moving up to IE 8 would
> be preferable to an interim step to IE 7. I'm also running Google chrome
> browser, which is a good product. My only complaint is that it hangs on
> some
> of the tabs within a given window, and can take a good deal of time to
> refresh in such cases.
>
> My OS is XP Pro with SP2, and my needs are to be able to browse sites
> which are now, or soon to be, no longer supporting IE 6 and earlier
> versions.
>
> Thanks in Advance

Brad

Re: Seeking a recommendation : IE 7 or IE 8
Thank you for the advice Rob. I actually had no idea SP3 even existed for XP
Pro. YouTube is one site that repeatedly informs me to upgrade as they will
no longer supoort IE 6 (no date of this implementation mentioned though).

> Hi B,
>
> All web browsers will still be able to view old web pages. Some just try
> to detect which browser version you are using and put up a message to
> upgrade or change your browser.
>
> IE8 has improved speed and reliability, but it too can view any old style
> web page.
>
> Most users have had problems upgrading from 6 to 8 because of the
> different look and feel of IE8, and because of incompatible Addons.
>
> If you are planning to upgrade to Win7 or purchase a replacement computer,
> I would leave your machine as is (at least install SP3 though). IE8 is
> pre-installed on Win7 and has the look and feel of a Vista or Win7
> application.
>
> If you are having problems viewing some web pages in IE6 then you may be
> able to correct this by repairing your UserAgent string.
>
> Go to http://www.enhanceie.com/ua.aspx to test and fix it.
>
> Regards.
>
> "B" <brad_roberts@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> I'm currently running IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2...., and am looking to
>> upgrade as websites such as YouTube stop supporting this older version.
>> I would like to hear recommendations as to whether moving up to IE 8
>> would
>> be preferable to an interim step to IE 7. I'm also running Google chrome
>> browser, which is a good product. My only complaint is that it hangs on
>> some
>> of the tabs within a given window, and can take a good deal of time to
>> refresh in such cases.
>>
>> My OS is XP Pro with SP2, and my needs are to be able to browse sites
>> which are now, or soon to be, no longer supporting IE 6 and earlier
>> versions.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance

rob^_^

Re: Seeking a recommendation : IE 7 or IE 8
Hi,

Youtube is a Google company. They have their own browser (Chrome) and an IE
Addon (google frame) which are attempting to win market share from IE.

See Chucks' reply to the Question above - "Upgrade from IE6 to IE8". I agree
with him. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot if they drop
support for IE6.

Regards.

"Brad" <brad_roberts@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Thank you for the advice Rob. I actually had no idea SP3 even existed for
> XP Pro. YouTube is one site that repeatedly informs me to upgrade as they
> will no longer supoort IE 6 (no date of this implementation mentioned
> though).
>

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi B,
>>
>> All web browsers will still be able to view old web pages. Some just try
>> to detect which browser version you are using and put up a message to
>> upgrade or change your browser.
>>
>> IE8 has improved speed and reliability, but it too can view any old style
>> web page.
>>
>> Most users have had problems upgrading from 6 to 8 because of the
>> different look and feel of IE8, and because of incompatible Addons.
>>
>> If you are planning to upgrade to Win7 or purchase a replacement
>> computer, I would leave your machine as is (at least install SP3 though).
>> IE8 is pre-installed on Win7 and has the look and feel of a Vista or Win7
>> application.
>>
>> If you are having problems viewing some web pages in IE6 then you may be
>> able to correct this by repairing your UserAgent string.
>>
>> Go to http://www.enhanceie.com/ua.aspx to test and fix it.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "B" <brad_roberts@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>> I'm currently running IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2...., and am looking to
>>> upgrade as websites such as YouTube stop supporting this older version.
>>> I would like to hear recommendations as to whether moving up to IE 8
>>> would
>>> be preferable to an interim step to IE 7. I'm also running Google chrome
>>> browser, which is a good product. My only complaint is that it hangs on
>>> some
>>> of the tabs within a given window, and can take a good deal of time to
>>> refresh in such cases.
>>>
>>> My OS is XP Pro with SP2, and my needs are to be able to browse sites
>>> which are now, or soon to be, no longer supporting IE 6 and earlier
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> Thanks in Advance

Re: Seeking a recommendation : IE 7 or IE 8
What Rob said.

NB: Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
Update website will not be available after 12 April 2010 until SP3 is
installed.

You will want to get WinXP SP3 installed before you install IE7 or IE8...

About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

....or if you suspect you may need to do a Repair Install of WinXP (for
whatever reason)...

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
www.banthecheck.com