can't run local scripts after IE8 update

Beemer Biker

can't run local scripts after IE8 update
As of about 3 weeks ago (an IE8 update from ms ??) I have been unable to
run local active-x scripts. I have a calendar generator located here
file:///C:/ResearchRiders/events/calgen.htm

That expression shows up (see following url) if I attempt to "add this
website to the zone" but the syntax is incorrect when I click the "add"
button. This may not have anthing to do with the problem.

In any event I am only able to run the script if I bring up security and
enable active-x scripting for "the internet". It is now prompting me every
time I run it which is ok as i just run it periodically when I want to
update the calendar. For the last 4 years (ie6, ie7, ie8) it has been
prompting like it should but as of 3 weeks ago it stopped and I had to hunt
down and enable the prompting.

My question: Why do I have to enable the prompting for local active-x
scripts that I created and/or obtained from a 3rd party and installed on my
system locally? Under trusted sites I do not see any websites.
http://swri.info/images/cal_gen_add.png

ie8, vista64 with latest patches. Should not I see something like
//localhost or 192.168.2 etc so as to allow local scripting to run? I tried
changing the location of the calendar generator to \users\username\whatever
thinking that the directory off the root was forbidden but it made no
difference. I still got that automation error about can't create object.
I am not expert on scripting, maybe something can be added to the
script to make it "signed" AFAICT the script does not call home

thanks for looking

Don Varnau

Re: can't run local scripts after IE8 update
Hi,
You're encountering the "local machine zone lockdown" feature.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA
I don't know why you weren't previously seeing this issue.

Try giving the page the "mark of the web."

Or, rename the htm file to hta. HTA files aren't as restricted.

Or... Internet Options> Advanced> Security> check "Allow active content to
run
in files on My Computer ."
You will, of course, be giving up some of the enhanced security provided by
this feature.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Beemer Biker" <josephy@stateson.net> wrote in message
> As of about 3 weeks ago (an IE8 update from ms ??) I have been unable to
> run local active-x scripts. I have a calendar generator located here
> file:///C:/ResearchRiders/events/calgen.htm
>
> That expression shows up (see following url) if I attempt to "add this
> website to the zone" but the syntax is incorrect when I click the "add"
> button. This may not have anthing to do with the problem.
>
> In any event I am only able to run the script if I bring up security and
> enable active-x scripting for "the internet". It is now prompting me

every
> time I run it which is ok as i just run it periodically when I want to
> update the calendar. For the last 4 years (ie6, ie7, ie8) it has been
> prompting like it should but as of 3 weeks ago it stopped and I had to

hunt
> down and enable the prompting.
>
> My question: Why do I have to enable the prompting for local active-x
> scripts that I created and/or obtained from a 3rd party and installed on

my
> system locally? Under trusted sites I do not see any websites.
> http://swri.info/images/cal_gen_add.png
>
> ie8, vista64 with latest patches. Should not I see something like
> //localhost or 192.168.2 etc so as to allow local scripting to run? I

tried
> changing the location of the calendar generator to

\users\username\whatever
> thinking that the directory off the root was forbidden but it made no
> difference. I still got that automation error about can't create object.
> I am not expert on scripting, maybe something can be added to the
> script to make it "signed" AFAICT the script does not call home
>

> thanks for looking

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: can't run local scripts after IE8 update

"Beemer Biker" <josephy@stateson.net> wrote in message news:EA02EA6D-8081-49C8-B304-0130250551DF@microsoft.com...
> As of about 3 weeks ago (an IE8 update from ms ??) I have been unable to
> run local active-x scripts. I have a calendar generator located here
> file:///C:/ResearchRiders/events/calgen.htm
>
> That expression shows up (see following url) if I attempt to "add this
> website to the zone" but the syntax is incorrect when I click the "add"
> button. This may not have anthing to do with the problem.
>
> In any event I am only able to run the script if I bring up security and
> enable active-x scripting for "the internet". It is now prompting me every
> time I run it which is ok as i just run it periodically when I want to
> update the calendar. For the last 4 years (ie6, ie7, ie8) it has been
> prompting like it should but as of 3 weeks ago it stopped and I had to hunt
> down and enable the prompting.
>

> My question: Why do I have to enable the prompting for local active-x
> scripts that I created and/or obtained from a 3rd party and installed on my
> system locally?

You're probably running with (default) Local Machine Zone lockdown settings

There is a way of getting out of the lockdown globally. See, for example,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...rovements.mspx

(BING search for
local machine zone internet explorer security options advanced "allow active content to run in my computer"
)

However, since you have control of the page a better option would be
to make use of Mark of the Web in it (so the page uses the Internet zone
security settings instead.)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7150.aspx#EHAA

BTW I'm not sure why that page would not mention the global option.
That's why I had to include a link to Sandi's page too. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---