Isolating a bad add-on

Robert Schuldenfrei

Isolating a bad add-on
Hi NG,

IE 8 has been running very successfully under Vista. It fails many times a
day under Windows 7. From advice in this NG I am experimenting with add-ons.
Please look at the list of add-ons below and see if you can spot a known
trouble maker. Thank you bob (bob@s-i-inc.com)

I have run IE 8 by executing iexplore.exe -extoff. Worked fine. I have run
IE 8 from a desktop icon with all add-ons disabled. Worked fine. I am in
the process of turning each add-on to the enabled mode. I wish there was
more information on which add-on has been found troublesome.

These are my active add-ons:

Adobe PDF Link Helper
TextAloud
Google Toolbar
Google Toolbar Helper
Google Toolbar Notifier BHO
Google Dictionary Compression sdch
Blog This in Windows Live Writer
Send to OneNote
Skype add-on for Internet Explorer
Research
RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin
Skype add-on (mastermind)
Skype
Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper
MSN Toolbar
Windows Live Toolbar
Search Helper
Groove GFS Browser Helper
Windows Live Sign-in Helper
MSN Toolbar Helper
Windows Live Toolbar BHO
Groove Folder Synchronization
Research

Donald Anadell

Re: Isolating a bad add-on

"Robert Schuldenfrei" <RobertSchuldenfrei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:2D71ECD1-855F-439D-8F27-8737751653F5@microsoft.com...
> Hi NG,
>
> IE 8 has been running very successfully under Vista. It fails many times
> day under Windows 7. From advice in this NG I am experimenting with
> add-ons.
> Please look at the list of add-ons below and see if you can spot a known
> trouble maker. Thank you bob (bob@s-i-inc.com)
>
> I have run IE 8 by executing iexplore.exe -extoff. Worked fine. I have
> run
> IE 8 from a desktop icon with all add-ons disabled. Worked fine. I am in
> the process of turning each add-on to the enabled mode. I wish there was
> more information on which add-on has been found troublesome.
>
> These are my active add-ons:
>
> Adobe PDF Link Helper
> TextAloud
> Google Toolbar
> Google Toolbar Helper
> Google Toolbar Notifier BHO
> Google Dictionary Compression sdch
> Blog This in Windows Live Writer
> Send to OneNote
> Skype add-on for Internet Explorer
> Research
> RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin
> Skype add-on (mastermind)
> Skype
> Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper
> MSN Toolbar
> Windows Live Toolbar
> Search Helper
> Groove GFS Browser Helper
> Windows Live Sign-in Helper
> MSN Toolbar Helper
> Windows Live Toolbar BHO
> Groove Folder Synchronization
> Research

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before installing:

Doing so might have pointed you to Hardware||Software compatability issues
prior to installing Windows 7.

Having said that, you might want to focus on Skype:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Windows%207%20Skype

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Robert Schuldenfrei

Re: Isolating a bad add-on
Hi Donald,

I just found out the same thing. Since a few others have mentioned Skype as
a suspect, it was the first add-on I turned on. Sure enough, IE 8 started to
crash. It is now disabled. I have now enabled Google and Microsoft add-ons.
So far so good. I will continue to add back add-ons as the day progresses.

Yes, I did run compatibility checks before I went from Vista to 7.

Thank you,

Bob

in message news:BB61F140-FB59-4C73-9B0A-E0921A971C92@microsoft.com...
> Hi Donald,
>
> I just found out the same thing. Since a few others have mentioned Skype
> as
> a suspect, it was the first add-on I turned on. Sure enough, IE 8 started
> crash. It is now disabled. I have now enabled Google and Microsoft
> add-ons.
> So far so good. I will continue to add back add-ons as the day
> progresses.
>
> Yes, I did run compatibility checks before I went from Vista to 7.
>
> Thank you,

Your welcome Bob.

As far as I know Skype is not fully compatible with Windows 7.

See:
Skype 4.1 Hotfix 3 for Windows Release Notes
Version: 4.1.x.179 Hotfix 3
Release date: 12th October 2009

http://share.skype.com/sites/garage/...9_hotfix_3.pdf

<quote>
Skype plans to release further versions with improvements for Windows 7
compatibility in the future.
</quote>

Good luck,

Donald Anadell