IE8 Refuses to Launch

Macrules

IE8 Refuses to Launch
running XP SP3-fully updated with all MS Updates (except IE8)
running IE6. Norton AV. Disabled MS Firewall.
(English XP Pro with Swedish MUI)

Installing IE8 works fine, but i get the message that "IE8 was installed
without updates, restart and choose update to get the latest updates." i
restart, fine,
but when i doubleclick IE icon, it doesnt launch, tried different links etc
etc but
application refuses to launch. (MS Update wont launch either)

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail
tried also resetting IE6 but no success

Uninstalled Norton AV, tried again, no luck

uninstalled again, installed IE7, updated it fully
IE7 works like a treat

Reset setting in IE7, and install IE8, still no success
The application refuses to launch, it doesnt even come up in Taskmanager

(tried installing both english and swedish versions of IE8, but same
behaviour)

(same problem with Mozilla Firefox, if that helps)

please help, would like to avoid having to format/reinstall whole machine)
but require IE8

Macrules

RE: IE8 Refuses to Launch
Hello

I found the solution, finally
I booted the compuetr in safe mode, and started IE8
it ran through the setup wizard, i finshed that and rebooted
in normal mode, voila! it worked

Hope this info can help someone else

Thanks
/G

"Macrules" wrote:

> running XP SP3-fully updated with all MS Updates (except IE8)
> running IE6. Norton AV. Disabled MS Firewall.
> (English XP Pro with Swedish MUI)
>
> Installing IE8 works fine, but i get the message that "IE8 was installed
> without updates, restart and choose update to get the latest updates." i
> restart, fine,
> but when i doubleclick IE icon, it doesnt launch, tried different links etc
> etc but
> application refuses to launch. (MS Update wont launch either)
>
> Tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail
> tried also resetting IE6 but no success
>
> Uninstalled Norton AV, tried again, no luck
>
> uninstalled again, installed IE7, updated it fully
> IE7 works like a treat
>
> Reset setting in IE7, and install IE8, still no success
> The application refuses to launch, it doesnt even come up in Taskmanager
>
> (tried installing both english and swedish versions of IE8, but same
> behaviour)
>
> (same problem with Mozilla Firefox, if that helps)
>
> please help, would like to avoid having to format/reinstall whole machine)
> but require IE8

rob^_^

Re: IE8 Refuses to Launch
Hi Macs-r-Ok,

Yes indeed. Thanks very much for sharing your solution.

I for one did not answer your question because I have not seen the issue
before.

The next question to ask is Why?

It sounds like that you leave Windows Automatic Updates turned off?
(idiopathic = Unknown pathogen/cause)
Regards.