Speech recognition in IE8

Mark R.

Speech recognition in IE8
I am forced to use speech recognition to control my computer because of a
handicap. Since the was first introduced in Vista it has worked very well.
Now with IE8 I have problems. There are several but here are the big ones.

When I say favorites I get two choices, the title "Favorites" in the menu
bar (number 1) and the star Favorites (number 2). If I select one and then
say "OK" it does not open favorites. The only way I can open them from the
menu bar is to say "Show Numbers", select the number for "Favorites" and then
say OK or use the "Mouse Grid" command to click it. This obviously takes a
lot of time.

Once I get the pull down menu for Favorites open from the menu if I say
"Show Numbers" again the number go behind the pull down so I have no way of
selecting an item of youthen by using the "Mouse Grid" command to click the
item I want.

I didn't have any of these problems in IE7. I've had the same problem with
IE8 on computers running both Vista and Windows 7, so I don't believe the
problem is with the operating system nor the computers. It appears to be a
problem solely related to IE8.

Does anyone else have the same problem or know how to correct this problem?
It's extremely frustrating and it demonstrates some of the holes in
Microsoft's testing of new programs.

--
I''''''''ve learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural
stupidity.
rob^_^

Re: Speech recognition in IE8
Hi Mark,

Use the menu verbs instead.

View>Explorer Bars>Favorites

.... ar huh! There is no command to pin them there!

If you are using a wide screen, you may like to keep your favorites lists
'pinned' to the side all the time.... so either have someone press the Pin
button for you or (I haven't tried it) there should be a numbered command to
press the Pin button once you have the Favorites list displayed.
You will still have plenty of screen space to display web pages.

Regards.

"Mark R." <MarkR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am forced to use speech recognition to control my computer because of a
> handicap. Since the was first introduced in Vista it has worked very
> well.
> Now with IE8 I have problems. There are several but here are the big
> ones.
>
> When I say favorites I get two choices, the title "Favorites" in the menu
> bar (number 1) and the star Favorites (number 2). If I select one and
> then
> say "OK" it does not open favorites. The only way I can open them from
> the
> menu bar is to say "Show Numbers", select the number for "Favorites" and
> then
> say OK or use the "Mouse Grid" command to click it. This obviously takes
> lot of time.
>
> Once I get the pull down menu for Favorites open from the menu if I say
> "Show Numbers" again the number go behind the pull down so I have no way
> of
> selecting an item of youthen by using the "Mouse Grid" command to click
> the
> item I want.
>
> I didn't have any of these problems in IE7. I've had the same problem
> with
> IE8 on computers running both Vista and Windows 7, so I don't believe the
> problem is with the operating system nor the computers. It appears to be
> problem solely related to IE8.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem or know how to correct this
> problem?
> It's extremely frustrating and it demonstrates some of the holes in
> Microsoft's testing of new programs.
>
> --
> I''''''''ve learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural
> stupidity.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Speech recognition in IE8

"Mark R." <MarkR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81BB71F7-FD65-409A-90D5-5C04F90A685D@microsoft.com...
>I am forced to use speech recognition to control my computer because of a
> handicap. Since the was first introduced in Vista it has worked very well.
> Now with IE8 I have problems. There are several but here are the big ones.
>
> When I say favorites I get two choices, the title "Favorites" in the menu
> bar (number 1) and the star Favorites (number 2). If I select one and then
> say "OK" it does not open favorites. The only way I can open them from the
> menu bar is to say "Show Numbers", select the number for "Favorites" and then
> say OK or use the "Mouse Grid" command to click it. This obviously takes a
> lot of time.

Does it accept verbal keystrokes? E.g. Favorites menu would be:
Press Alt-a. Favorites Center would be: Press Alt-c
Favorites bar (e.g. when the current contents of the Favorites Center was
something else would be Press Ctrl-i. Etc. That would be easier IMO
than choosing from artificial menus just because there is an ambiguity
in the command you are articulating.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---