Using Address Bar For Searches

m78

Using Address Bar For Searches
On IE7 I would just put my search words into the address bar and the
Yahoo results would show up on the screen ( I did have to set it to Yahoo).
I looked in the IE8 help to make this change and it told me go to tools>
internet options> advanced> settings> search from the address bar. Then I
was to put a check mark next to search from the address bar. However, the
search from the address bar option isn't there. Currently, the address bar
search just defaults to a Dell search engine.

How can I change the search engine for the address bar? Thanks for any
advice.

rob^_^

Re: Using Address Bar For Searches
Hi M,

Tools>Manage Addons, Search Providers, choose your default Search
Provider..... (You should have at this moment Dell as your default Search
Provider) will be used as the default search provider to use when searching
from the Address Bar.

While you are there (Addons Manager), see if you have the Yahoo Search
Assistant installed (it comes with the Yahoo Toolbar) and disable it as this
can also 'hijack' your address bar searches. (Also mywebsearch, and others)

Regards.

"m78" <m78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On IE7 I would just put my search words into the address bar and the
> Yahoo results would show up on the screen ( I did have to set it to
> Yahoo).
> I looked in the IE8 help to make this change and it told me go to tools>
> internet options> advanced> settings> search from the address bar. Then I
> was to put a check mark next to search from the address bar. However, the
> search from the address bar option isn't there. Currently, the address
> bar
> search just defaults to a Dell search engine.
>
> How can I change the search engine for the address bar? Thanks for
> any
> advice.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Using Address Bar For Searches

"m78" <m78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:607F37F2-898C-4BDE-9040-F0F52F901E71@microsoft.com...
> On IE7 I would just put my search words into the address bar and the
> Yahoo results would show up on the screen ( I did have to set it to Yahoo).
> I looked in the IE8 help to make this change and it told me go to tools>
> internet options> advanced> settings> search from the address bar. Then I
> was to put a check mark next to search from the address bar. However,

> the search from the address bar option isn't there.

Where did you get your IE8 from? There is still a Search from the
Address bar section in my IE8. Between Printing and Security sections.