IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working

Lisa - NH

IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
I'm having a wierd issue here. I was using IE8 before on Vista. I upgraded
to Windows 7. Now after I've been on the computer for a while (maybe a few
hours), the back/forward buttons and refresh buttons stop responding. I can
click the arrow next to the back button and get the list up and go back that
way but just clicking on the button stops working.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

My mouse batteries say they have 57 days left and I'm not having trouble
with the mouse anywhere else other than in internet explorer.

Lisa

Re: IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., Win7 RC; Win7 RTM) when
posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
subscription current, and is it supported in IE8 *and* Win7? What
(if any)?

it)?
www.banthecheck.com

Lisa - NH wrote:
> I'm having a wierd issue here. I was using IE8 before on Vista. I
> upgraded
> to Windows 7. Now after I've been on the computer for a while (maybe a
> few
> hours), the back/forward buttons and refresh buttons stop responding. I
> can
> click the arrow next to the back button and get the list up and go back
> that
> way but just clicking on the button stops working.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this issue?
>
> My mouse batteries say they have 57 days left and I'm not having trouble
> with the mouse anywhere else other than in internet explorer.
>
> Lisa

Lisa - NH

Re: IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
Hi. I don't know what RC or RTM are. I thought I had put more info on the
version of windows but that was probably another post I put somewhere else.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - upgraded from Vista Home Premium 64 bit on a
computer that's just 6 months old. Received & installed on its' release date.

I don't have IE on my desktop, I keep a clean desktop. I did just try to
right click on the IE icon in my taskbar as there is no option to run without
add-ons listed. Could be because I already have IE open and have a few tabs
open.

I just read a little farther (reading as I'm answering) and I do have the IE
with no addons in the accessories/system tools menu. I will have to try that
later. Can I wait until have the problem and then try running the IE with no
addons? Or do I have to be using it prior to having the problem to see if I
have the problem.

any changes to IE8 since the upgrade.

Avast's newest version and it updates daily. Yes it supports 8 (I was using
it prior to the upgrade - I did disable it during the upgrade and re-enable
afterwards) and yes it supports Windows 7 and yes it supports 64 bit (which I
have).

Not running a third party firewall, using the Windows one.

I do have Spyware Terminator on my computer but I don't let it run all the
time, I just run it when I do a scan. (I'm very careful with my computer.)
Windows Defender is running.

Yes Mcaffee was included with the computer and was immediatelly uninstalled
before it even had a chance to run. That was just over 6 months ago when I
got the computer and everything has been working fine. I just noticed the
issue with the back/forward/refresh buttons within the past few days.
Installed 7 a week ago. And it only seems to happen after I've been on the
computer for a while and in IE for a while. As in hours.

Lisa

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., Win7 RC; Win7 RTM) when
> posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8 *and* Win7? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Lisa - NH wrote:
> > I'm having a wierd issue here. I was using IE8 before on Vista. I
> > upgraded
> > to Windows 7. Now after I've been on the computer for a while (maybe a
> > few
> > hours), the back/forward buttons and refresh buttons stop responding. I
> > can
> > click the arrow next to the back button and get the list up and go back
> > that
> > way but just clicking on the button stops working.
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed this issue?
> >
> > My mouse batteries say they have 57 days left and I'm not having trouble
> > with the mouse anywhere else other than in internet explorer.
> >
> > Lisa

> .

Lisa - NH

Re: IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
I forgot to mention as far as add-ons.....I have the stuff the Microsoft put
in. Have added Shockwave Flash, Adobe PDF link helper, Java and WOT. All of
which I was running before with no trouble. Did update all but the Java
which I haven't gotten around to yet.

Lisa

Re: IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
After uninstalling the McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the
computer when you bought it, did you also download/run the McAfee Removal
tool?

Lisa - NH wrote:
> [...]
>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Lisa - NH wrote:
>>> I'm having a wierd issue here. I was using IE8 before on Vista. I
>>> upgraded
>>> to Windows 7. Now after I've been on the computer for a while (maybe a
>>> few
>>> hours), the back/forward buttons and refresh buttons stop responding. I
>>> can
>>> click the arrow next to the back button and get the list up and go back
>>> that
>>> way but just clicking on the button stops working.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else noticed this issue?
>>>
>>> My mouse batteries say they have 57 days left and I'm not having trouble
>>> with the mouse anywhere else other than in internet explorer.

Lisa - NH

Re: IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
I don't remember, I don't think so becasue the program never ran before I
uninstalled it. Also I used Revo Uninstaller which does a good job of
scanning to remove all bits of installed software. I also use Registry
Mechanic which removes anything leftover in the registry.

Besides I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with anything
because IE8 never gave me any problems prior to upgrading to Windows 7. I
could see if I was having trouble before.

Just ran regedit and searched for McAfee just to be sure there wasn't
something that had gotten missed and there wasn't.

Lisa

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> After uninstalling the McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the
> computer when you bought it, did you also download/run the McAfee Removal
> tool?

Re: IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
Injudicious use of Registry Mechanic may have caused ALL of your problems!

If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

I have nothing further to add here. Good luck.
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

Lisa - NH wrote:
> I don't remember, I don't think so becasue the program never ran before I
> uninstalled it. Also I used Revo Uninstaller which does a good job of
> scanning to remove all bits of installed software. I also use Registry
> Mechanic which removes anything leftover in the registry.
>
> Besides I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with anything
> because IE8 never gave me any problems prior to upgrading to Windows 7. I
> could see if I was having trouble before.
>
> Just ran regedit and searched for McAfee just to be sure there wasn't
> something that had gotten missed and there wasn't.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> After uninstalling the McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the
>> computer when you bought it, did you also download/run the McAfee Removal
>> tool?

<paste>
> [...]
>>> start
>>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>>
>>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>>>
>>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8 *and* Win7? What
>>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>>> firewall
>>> (if any)?
>>>
>>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought
>>> it)?

Lisa - NH

Re: IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
How rude and not at all helpful. I can understand your opnion on this and I
can understand recommending this choice for the uninformed person or the
person who doesn't know what they are doing. However I'm not uniformed and
I'm not stupid and I'm extremely careful with my computers, more than most
people I know. Haven't had any issues caused by making a bad choice in many
years.

I have in the past used other registry cleaners and had problems with them.
But I have used Registry Mechanic (which came very highly reocmmended) for
years now and have never had any problems with it.

Also the problem in question hasn't happened since my posting.

Lisa

PS. By the way, what do you mean ALL my problems. You're making it sound
like I'm having a ton of issues after upgrading to Windows 7. Not true. Had
a few minor issues like my printer wouldn't work at first because the
software wasn't compatible with Windows 7. (And yes I did run the upgrade
advisor first - it didn't mention the printer software.) Uninstalled it and
let Windows install a driver and it worked fine. WMP had an issue with files
being deleted from the library not being deleted but that was because I
deleted them from the wrong place before understanding the new libraries.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Injudicious use of Registry Mechanic may have caused ALL of your problems!
>
> If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
>
> I have nothing further to add here. Good luck.
> --
> ~PA Bear
> www.banthecheck.com

Re: IE8 & Windows 7 - problem with buttons no longer working
[I'm not uniformed either but I think ur spiel chukker mite be broke]