RE: maximum number of tabs allowed in IE 7

Rock-Ghost

RE: maximum number of tabs allowed in IE 7
I had the same frustrating problems since 2001 til I found the solution
shortly ! You can extend "Windows´s most important memory", called
Desktop-Heap (remember this well !), via "regedit". After this you can open
at least > 150 tabs or > 52 Windows explorers or 1000 text-files with 1
Million digits in each in UltraEdit. The multitasking capabilities increase
enormously. You can open much more programs simultaneously without any
problems or crashes.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
Manager\SubSystems]

"Windows" - rightclick - long text appears like:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=16

This number "3072" is the Desktop-Heap memory !!!!!!!!!

Increase it manually: e.g. to 10240 having 4GB (3,4) RAM on XP !

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=1024,10240,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=16

Restart your PC and enjoy Windows real power capabilities !

In my eyes this is the most important tweak/trick in Windows of all, as no
increase of RAM or a newer CPU/hardware/software helps until this setting is
carried out !

In the name of all paying Windows users I please Microsoft to maximize this
memory as a standard in all future updates, upgrades, versions, systems ! My
synapse-system is to weak to understand why this for all users (consumers and
companies) most important and most genious tweak is kept secret so much.
Something important like this has to be written on the front side of each
Windows product cover of Retail Box, SB, OEM packing...).

It surely is not enough to write about this in a hidden place like
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184802/en-us. It takes years to find it here.

We should all try to help each other as good as we can !

"Simon" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I do a lot of research work so frequently have multiple IE7 open with
> multiple tabs open in each, after a certain while if I try opening a new tab
> all I get is a blank screen and the page will not load till I close some tabs.
>
> Also it will not allow me to open any new windows till I have closed some.
>

> So my question is what is the maximum number of tabs that IE 7 can have open
> before it starts acting up?
>
> thanks.
>
> Simon

Dan

"Rock-Ghost" <mt@min-e-drumz.com> wrote in message
> I had the same frustrating problems since 2001 til I found the solution
> shortly ! You can extend "Windows´s most important memory", called
> Desktop-Heap (remember this well !), via "regedit". After this you can
> open
> at least > 150 tabs or > 52 Windows explorers or 1000 text-files with 1
> Million digits in each in UltraEdit. The multitasking capabilities
> increase
> enormously. You can open much more programs simultaneously without any
> problems or crashes.
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> Manager\SubSystems]
>
> "Windows" - rightclick - long text appears like:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
> SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
> ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
> ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
> MaxRequestThreads=16
>

> This number "3072" is the Desktop-Heap memory !!!!!!!!!
>
> Increase it manually: e.g. to 10240 having 4GB (3,4) RAM on XP !
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
> SharedSection=1024,10240,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
> ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
> ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
> MaxRequestThreads=16
>
> Restart your PC and enjoy Windows real power capabilities !
>

> In my eyes this is the most important tweak/trick in Windows of all, as no
> increase of RAM or a newer CPU/hardware/software helps until this setting
> is
> carried out !
>
> In the name of all paying Windows users I please Microsoft to maximize
> this
> memory as a standard in all future updates, upgrades, versions, systems !
> My
> synapse-system is to weak to understand why this for all users (consumers
> and
> companies) most important and most genious tweak is kept secret so much.
> Something important like this has to be written on the front side of each
> Windows product cover of Retail Box, SB, OEM packing...).
>

> It surely is not enough to write about this in a hidden place like
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184802/en-us. It takes years to find it
> here.
>
> We should all try to help each other as good as we can !

You might also want to search around and read up why messing with this
setting might not always be a good idea. For instance,
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.a...tno=238&pgno=1 and
http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/ar...-overview.aspx

Basically, there is a fixed 48MB of system buffer memory for all desktops in
XP. If you increase the desktop heap value, you reduce the number of users
who can be logged into XP at one time (via the Fast User Switching, or a MS
virtual desktop manager, running applications as other users, etc), and also
risk problems due to XP having a lot of fonts and/or printers installed
(printer drivers and fonts also share this same system buffer). And
screensavers and the user login run as a separate desktop too. And if you
blindly set it to too high you'll prevent XP from being able to boot at all;
I've seen posts from people who've set it to 65536, or 64MB, without reading
up on why most people recommend no more than 12MB, and then complained
because XP won't boot up any more.

Yes, it can be a good idea to change this value, so long as you take into
consideration the penalties for doing so. No, I don't think it should be put
on a sticker on the Windows retail box - the majority of users should never
go near the registry editor, let alone risk trying to change this value,
there's too much potential for them to mess up Windows entirely. (There are
people I've had to provide support for that I'd be loathe to let near a
calculator, let alone a PC!).

--
Dan