IE6 not responding after loading nytimes.com

Lew

IE6 not responding after loading nytimes.com
This is totally mystifying, but after loading the NYTimes home page,
my IE6 hangs & eventually generates a "not responding" message.
Windows task manager shows a second instance of ie, both instances
display the not responding. This does not happen on the machines of my
co-workers, nor does it happen on my machine on any other web site.
I've erased all cookies, caches pages, reg entries dealing with
nytimes, etc... so I can't think of what else to try.

Any other ideas? Has any one even seen something like this?
rob^_^

Re: IE6 not responding after loading nytimes.com
Hi Lew,

Service Pack Level? (may or may not be important)

Try going to the Tasks Manager and ending all running Iexplore.exe
processes, then try again.

It sounds like you have an incompatible addon that is crashing your IE6
browser and leaving open IE processes although this is mostly occurring with
IE8, not 6.

If it re-occurs contact your Admin people to troubleshoot your Addons, or

Test by running IE6 in no-Addons mode - Start>Programs>Accessories>System
Tools>Internet Explorer (no-Addons)
or

uncheck "enable third-party browser extensions" on the Advanced tab of
Internet Options.

Regards.

"Lew" <lew1716@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This is totally mystifying, but after loading the NYTimes home page,
> my IE6 hangs & eventually generates a "not responding" message.
> Windows task manager shows a second instance of ie, both instances
> display the not responding. This does not happen on the machines of my
> co-workers, nor does it happen on my machine on any other web site.
> I've erased all cookies, caches pages, reg entries dealing with
> nytimes, etc... so I can't think of what else to try.
>
> Any other ideas? Has any one even seen something like this?

Lew

Re: IE6 not responding after loading nytimes.com
IE 6.0.29 sp2

I have disabled addons via Internet Options. (Start->...->Internet
Explorer is not visible due to our local security configuration).

If I kill any instance via Task Manager, whether it's listed as "not
responding" or not, all instances are closed.

Any way diabling addons does not help.
Lew

Re: IE6 not responding after loading nytimes.com
Additional information:

In "not responding" mode, hovering over an offending instance produces
an hour-glass cursor as though something is being prevented from
running to completion.

Other instances of ie supporting other pages (like this one) seem to
function normally.
rob^_^

Re: IE6 not responding after loading nytimes.com
Hi Lew,

It's a company computer?

You need your support staff to have a look at the machine.

"In "not responding" mode, hovering over an offending instance produces
an hour-glass cursor as though something is being prevented from
running to completion."

Possibly something in your Windows startup (Start>Run>msconfig - Startup
tab) is causing the hang. Known trouble makers are

GoogleToolbarUpdater.exe - Uninstall your version of the Google toolbar and
then reboot the machine.
Gmail.exe - disable auto-login of the Taskbar icon.
Quicktime - disable at startup

What you can try by yourself is to reset IE's settings - Internet Options -
Advanced tab, 'Reset' button. This will reset your IE settings to their
factory defaults (and you will loose some of your settings for Search
Providers), but as this is a company computer, your should consult your
support staff first.