How to remove Add Ons in IE8 that were installed in IE6?

Joe Duchtel

How to remove Add Ons in IE8 that were installed in IE6?
Hello -

I have several add ons that were installed with IE6 and after I
installed IE8, they still show up under Toolbars and Extensions as
"Not Available". I tried to delete them but the Remove button is
grayed out. Is there any way to get rid of them? I cannot find them
under Add or Remove Programs either.

There is also a bizzare one in there named {C95FE080-8F5D-11D2-
A20B-00AA003C157A}.

Thanks,
Joe
Leonard Grey

Re: How to remove Add Ons in IE8 that were installed in IE6?
Best practices for upgrading Internet Explorer include checking for
add-on compatibility before attempting to upgrade.

You may wish to try this:

"How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

This will disable all your add-ons but may not remove them.

If you want help with removing a specific add-on, we need to know the
name of the add-on.

The hex number you provided belongs to the Alexa toolbar. For detailed
removal instructions just run a web search with...

remove alexa toolbar

....as the search term.

You may find it easier to remove IE 8, which automatically returns you
to your previous version of Internet Explorer - which appears to be IE 6
- then uninstall all your add-ons, upgrade to IE 8 and install updated
versions of add-ons that you like.

"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Joe Duchtel wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I have several add ons that were installed with IE6 and after I
> installed IE8, they still show up under Toolbars and Extensions as
> "Not Available". I tried to delete them but the Remove button is
> grayed out. Is there any way to get rid of them? I cannot find them
> under Add or Remove Programs either.
>
> There is also a bizzare one in there named {C95FE080-8F5D-11D2-
> A20B-00AA003C157A}.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Re: How to remove Add Ons in IE8 that were installed in IE6?
It's a harmless "Show Related Links" Alexa add-on and I wouldn't be
concerned about it (though if you can disable it, do so).

It can be removed using HijackThis but I wouldn't go messing around with
that on your own, Joe. <wink>
www.banthecheck.com

Joe Duchtel wrote:
> I have several add ons that were installed with IE6 and after I
> installed IE8, they still show up under Toolbars and Extensions as
> "Not Available". I tried to delete them but the Remove button is
> grayed out. Is there any way to get rid of them? I cannot find them
> under Add or Remove Programs either.
>
> There is also a bizzare one in there named {C95FE080-8F5D-11D2-
> A20B-00AA003C157A}.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Joe Duchtel

On Oct 29, 3:26*pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Best practices for upgrading Internet Explorer include checking for
> add-on compatibility before attempting to upgrade.
>
> You may wish to try this:
>
> "How to reset Internet Explorer settings"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> This will disable all your add-ons but may not remove them.
>
> If you want help with removing a specific add-on, we need to know the
> name of the add-on.
>
> The hex number you provided belongs to the Alexa toolbar. For detailed
> removal instructions just run a web search with...
>
> remove alexa toolbar
>
> ...as the search term.
>
> You may find it easier to remove IE 8, which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer - which appears to be IE 6
> - then uninstall all your add-ons, upgrade to IE 8 and install updated
> versions of add-ons that you like.
>
> "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>

> Joe Duchtel wrote:
> > Hello -

> > I have several add ons that were installed with IE6 and after I
> > installed IE8, they still show up under Toolbars and Extensions as
> > "Not Available". *I tried to delete them but the Remove button is
> > grayed out. *Is there any way to get rid of them? *I cannot find them
> > under Add or Remove Programs either.

> > There is also a bizzare one in there named {C95FE080-8F5D-11D2-
> > A20B-00AA003C157A}.

> > Thanks,
> > Joe- Hide quoted text -

Hello -

Thanks for all the information! I just went back to IE6 but the "How
to reset Internet Explorer settings" only works for IE7+. I was also
not able to uninstall any of the add ons in IE6 via the Manage Add-
ons. Is there any way to get rid of them?

Thanks,
Joachim

Joe Duchtel wrote:
> On Oct 29, 3:26 pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Best practices for upgrading Internet Explorer include checking for
>> add-on compatibility before attempting to upgrade.
>>
>> You may wish to try this:
>>
>> "How to reset Internet Explorer settings"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> This will disable all your add-ons but may not remove them.
>>
>> If you want help with removing a specific add-on, we need to know the
>> name of the add-on.
>>
>> The hex number you provided belongs to the Alexa toolbar. For detailed
>> removal instructions just run a web search with...
>>
>> remove alexa toolbar
>>
>> ...as the search term.
>>
>> You may find it easier to remove IE 8, which automatically returns you
>> to your previous version of Internet Explorer - which appears to be IE 6
>> - then uninstall all your add-ons, upgrade to IE 8 and install updated
>> versions of add-ons that you like.
>>
>> "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>

>> Joe Duchtel wrote:
>>> Hello -
>>> I have several add ons that were installed with IE6 and after I
>>> installed IE8, they still show up under Toolbars and Extensions as
>>> "Not Available". I tried to delete them but the Remove button is
>>> grayed out. Is there any way to get rid of them? I cannot find them
>>> under Add or Remove Programs either.
>>> There is also a bizzare one in there named {C95FE080-8F5D-11D2-
>>> A20B-00AA003C157A}.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joe- Hide quoted text -

> Hello -
>
> Thanks for all the information! I just went back to IE6 but the "How
> to reset Internet Explorer settings" only works for IE7+. I was also
> not able to uninstall any of the add ons in IE6 via the Manage Add-
> ons. Is there any way to get rid of them?
>
> Thanks,
> Joachim

Re: How to remove Add Ons in IE8 that were installed in IE6?
HOW TO Reset Internet Explorer (IE6)
====================
Note: The following will delete all cookies. To save them beforehand: IE
File | Import and Export | Export Cookies | save the file in an appropriate
location. To import the backup afterwards: IE File | Import and Export |
Import Cookies | point the wizard to the saved file.

1. After closing all IE windows, click Start, Run, type: "inetcpl.cpl"
(without quotation marks) and press Enter.
2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click
"Delete Cookies", and click OK.
3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
contents" box and click OK.
4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
(requires restart)".
7. Click OK.
8. Reboot.

Also see http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-re...orer-6-to.html

Joe Duchtel wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks for all the information! I just went back to IE6 but the "How
> to reset Internet Explorer settings" only works for IE7+. I was also
> not able to uninstall any of the add ons in IE6 via the Manage Add-
> ons. Is there any way to get rid of them?
>
> Thanks,
> Joachim

Joe Duchtel

On Oct 29, 5:15*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HOW TO Reset Internet Explorer (IE6)
> ====================
> Note: The following will delete all cookies. *To save them beforehand: IE
> File | Import and Export | Export Cookies | save the file in an appropriate
> location. *To import the backup afterwards: IE File | Import and Export|
> Import Cookies | point the wizard to the saved file.

> 1. After closing all IE windows, click Start, Run, type: "inetcpl.cpl"
> (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
> 2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click
> "Delete Cookies", and click OK.
> 3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
> contents" box and click OK.
> 4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
> 5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
> 6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
> (requires restart)".
> 7. Click OK.
> 8. Reboot.
>
> Also seehttp://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-reset-internet-explorer-6-to.html
>
> Joe Duchtel wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > Thanks for all the information! *I just went back to IE6 but the "How
> > to reset Internet Explorer settings" only works for IE7+. *I was also
> > not able to uninstall any of the add ons in IE6 via the Manage Add-
> > ons. *Is there any way to get rid of them?

> > Thanks,
> > Joachim- Hide quoted text -

Hello -

I had IEPrint (Fit-width Print) installed but there is also the
Windows Messenger as well as a Research and Discuss one that shows up
as Not Available.

The problem is that I had some add ons in IE6 (e.g. Java) that I still
need. I assume resetting all that will also get rid of those?

Thanks for all the feedback,
Joe

Joe Duchtel wrote:
> On Oct 29, 5:15 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> HOW TO Reset Internet Explorer (IE6)
>> ====================
>> Note: The following will delete all cookies. To save them beforehand: IE
>> File | Import and Export | Export Cookies | save the file in an
>> appropriate
>> location. To import the backup afterwards: IE File | Import and Export |
>> Import Cookies | point the wizard to the saved file.

>> 1. After closing all IE windows, click Start, Run, type: "inetcpl.cpl"
>> (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
>> 2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window,
>> click "Delete Cookies", and click OK.
>> 3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
>> contents" box and click OK.
>> 4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
>> 5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
>> 6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions
>> (requires restart)".
>> 7. Click OK.
>> 8. Reboot.
>>
>> Also see
>> http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-re...orer-6-to.html

<snip>
> I had IEPrint (Fit-width Print) installed but there is also the
> Windows Messenger as well as a Research and Discuss one that shows up
> as Not Available.
>
> The problem is that I had some add ons in IE6 (e.g. Java) that I still
> need. I assume resetting all that will also get rid of those?

See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=41698

JDGuin

Re: How to remove Add Ons in IE8 that were installed in IE6?
I discovered this thread when I experienced the same problem. Keeping a list
of useless, albeit "disabled," entries seems ... sloppy. It's also
aggravating not to be able to get rid of something I don't need.

> Best practices for upgrading Internet Explorer include checking for
> add-on compatibility before attempting to upgrade.

Well, that's real helpful, after the fact -- which is the only time anyone
is going to see this thread.

> If you want help with removing a specific add-on, we need to know the
> name of the add-on.

I wonder if Microsoft has considered the ... inelegance and inefficiency of
allowing a situation to arise where a user has to contact the company to get
rid of an add-on.

I have found a much simpler solution. Switch to Firefox.

Re: How to remove Add Ons in IE8 that were installed in IE6?
<yawn>