Will I be happy with IE8

Mike H

Will I be happy with IE8
I'm using IE7 on a PIII Tualatin (1.33GHz), with XP SP3. I'm unhappy with
jscript execution speed, and there's a continuing problem with some web
sites that begin to load a page, only to be aborted when IE7 says "Internet
Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://...." "Operation Aborted".
I'm told that problem doesn't exist in IE8.

So...does IE8 execute scripts any faster? Is it more intensive of
resources? I need to be careful about how far I upgrade software on this
box.

--
Mike H

Re: Will I be happy with IE8
1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE7 and/or SP3?

it)?
www.banthecheck.com

Mike H wrote:
> I'm using IE7 on a PIII Tualatin (1.33GHz), with XP SP3. I'm unhappy with
> jscript execution speed, and there's a continuing problem with some web
> sites that begin to load a page, only to be aborted when IE7 says
> "Internet
> Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://...." "Operation Aborted".
> I'm told that problem doesn't exist in IE8.
>
> So...does IE8 execute scripts any faster? Is it more intensive of
> resources? I need to be careful about how far I upgrade software on this
> box.

Mike H

Re: Will I be happy with IE8
PA-Bear, actually I was wondering if I'd be happy with IE8 on an older
machine which runs IE7 only adequately. Facebook scripting really dogs it
down, though. In fact, any site heavy in scripting dogs it down. Not so
with Firefox, so maybe a newer version of IE overcomes some of that? See,
I'm running a PIII 1.33 GHz Tualatin with 1GB of RAM. I've wondered if IE7
might be the last browser upgrade I do, fearing that IE8 might add features
which will only slow me down more.

To answer your questions:

The error I referred to is a well documented one, and I can reproduce it at
will by going to:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33400857...-destinations/
and then scrolling down and clicking the link "World's Scariest Runways"
(http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...est-runways/2/)
On some sites, that error will disappear upon a 2nd navigation to the site,
but not so this one.

1. Yes, this behavior persists in no add-ons mode.

2. Yes, it persists and in fact I haven't varied much from those default
options, other than deselecting Passive FTP, searching from the address
bar, smooth scrolling, and selecting always check for phishing sites.

3. I'm using NOD32 v4.0.467.0 and Windows Defender. There is no 3rd party
firewall. SP2 and SP3 were installed from CD's with no other software
running at all, including AV

4. McAfee or Symantec have never been installed on this machine.

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:53:42 -0400, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE7 and/or SP3?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>

> Mike H wrote:
>> I'm using IE7 on a PIII Tualatin (1.33GHz), with XP SP3. I'm unhappy with
>> jscript execution speed, and there's a continuing problem with some web
>> sites that begin to load a page, only to be aborted when IE7 says
>> "Internet
>> Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://...." "Operation Aborted".
>> I'm told that problem doesn't exist in IE8.
>>
>> So...does IE8 execute scripts any faster? Is it more intensive of
>> resources? I need to be careful about how far I upgrade software on this
>> box.

Donald Anadell

Re: Will I be happy with IE8

"Mike H" <mkREMOVEhuskeyALL@THIShotmail.invalid> wrote in message
news:uprptpuruj4q$.10aeogse4czu3$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
> PA-Bear, actually I was wondering if I'd be happy with IE8 on an older
> machine which runs IE7 only adequately. Facebook scripting really dogs it
> down, though. In fact, any site heavy in scripting dogs it down. Not so
> with Firefox, so maybe a newer version of IE overcomes some of that? See,
> I'm running a PIII 1.33 GHz Tualatin with 1GB of RAM. I've wondered if IE7
> might be the last browser upgrade I do, fearing that IE8 might add
> features
> which will only slow me down more.
>
> To answer your questions:
>
> The error I referred to is a well documented one, and I can reproduce it
> at
> will by going to:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33400857...-destinations/
> and then scrolling down and clicking the link "World's Scariest Runways"
> (http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...est-runways/2/)
> On some sites, that error will disappear upon a 2nd navigation to the
> site,
> but not so this one.

Why do I receive an "Operation aborted" error message when I visit a Web
page in Internet Explorer?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917

How do I fix this problem?
<quote>
The easiest way for you to fix the problem is to upgrade to Internet
Explorer 8. This problem no longer occurs in Internet Explorer 8.
</quote>

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> 1. Yes, this behavior persists in no add-ons mode.
>
> 2. Yes, it persists and in fact I haven't varied much from those default
> options, other than deselecting Passive FTP, searching from the address
> bar, smooth scrolling, and selecting always check for phishing sites.
>
> 3. I'm using NOD32 v4.0.467.0 and Windows Defender. There is no 3rd party
> firewall. SP2 and SP3 were installed from CD's with no other software
> running at all, including AV
>
> 4. McAfee or Symantec have never been installed on this machine.
>
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:53:42 -0400, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE7 and/or SP3?
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> Mike H wrote:
>>> I'm using IE7 on a PIII Tualatin (1.33GHz), with XP SP3. I'm unhappy
>>> with
>>> jscript execution speed, and there's a continuing problem with some web
>>> sites that begin to load a page, only to be aborted when IE7 says
>>> "Internet
>>> Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://...." "Operation Aborted".
>>> I'm told that problem doesn't exist in IE8.
>>>
>>> So...does IE8 execute scripts any faster? Is it more intensive of
>>> resources? I need to be careful about how far I upgrade software on this
>>> box.

Re: Will I be happy with IE8
[Nice catch!]

Donald Anadell wrote:
> [...]

>>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>>>
>>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed
>>> IE7 and/or SP3?
>>>
>>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought
>>> it)?

Re: Will I be happy with IE8
See Donald's reply. Also see the numerous workarounds in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917 if you'd rather stick with IE7.

Mike H wrote:
> [...]
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE7 and/or SP3?
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> Mike H wrote:
>>> I'm using IE7 on a PIII Tualatin (1.33GHz), with XP SP3. I'm unhappy
>>> with
>>> jscript execution speed, and there's a continuing problem with some web
>>> sites that begin to load a page, only to be aborted when IE7 says
>>> "Internet
>>> Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://...." "Operation Aborted".
>>> I'm told that problem doesn't exist in IE8.
>>>
>>> So...does IE8 execute scripts any faster? Is it more intensive of
>>> resources? I need to be careful about how far I upgrade software on this

Mike H

Re: Will I be happy with IE8
Well I appreciate what both of you have said. You're right on-IE7 has this
child container problem which IE8 does not. I may or may not be interested
in fixing that...it's really not much of a problem.

What I was asking is if IE8 is a faster application than IE7 and if I'll be
happy with it on this not-state-of-the-art machine. This question is hard
to answer from reviews. Microsoft says it has a fast page load. Third
parties say it's resource intensive but most of those reviews were against
the betas.

news:166q3vnz7lgcq$.1n7xt8m4ofl1q.dlg@40tude.net.. .
> Well I appreciate what both of you have said. You're right on-IE7 has this
> child container problem which IE8 does not. I may or may not be interested
> in fixing that...it's really not much of a problem.
>
> What I was asking is if IE8 is a faster application than IE7 and if I'll
> be
> happy with it on this not-state-of-the-art machine. This question is hard
> to answer from reviews. Microsoft says it has a fast page load. Third
> parties say it's resource intensive but most of those reviews were against
> the betas.

I don't think anyone posting here(including myself) can guarantee your
happiness with IE8, or any other product for that matter.
Why not test drive it yourself and draw you own conclusions.

1. If you meet the minimum System Requirements for installing IE8 on your
machine, see:

IE8 System Requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...uirements.aspx

2. Then install it and see for yourself whether or not you are satisfied
with it, see:

Download IE8

Also See:

IE8 Release Notes:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dd441788.aspx

IE8 FAQ:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...pport/faq.aspx

3. If you are not satisfied with it then remove it, see:

IE8 "How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:00:21 -0500, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
>> See Donald's reply. Also see the numerous workarounds in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917 if you'd rather stick with IE7.
>>
>> Mike H wrote:
>>> PA-Bear, actually I was wondering if I'd be happy with IE8 on an older
>>> machine which runs IE7 only adequately. Facebook scripting really dogs
>>> it
>>> down, though. In fact, any site heavy in scripting dogs it down. Not so
>>> with Firefox, so maybe a newer version of IE overcomes some of that?
>>> See,
>>> I'm running a PIII 1.33 GHz Tualatin with 1GB of RAM. I've wondered if
>>> IE7
>>> might be the last browser upgrade I do, fearing that IE8 might add
>>> features
>>> which will only slow me down more.
>>>
>>> To answer your questions:
>>>
>>> The error I referred to is a well documented one, and I can reproduce it
>>> at
>>> will by going to:
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33400857...-destinations/
>>> and then scrolling down and clicking the link "World's Scariest Runways"
>>> (http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...est-runways/2/)
>>> On some sites, that error will disappear upon a 2nd navigation to the
>>> site,
>>> but not so this one.
>>>
>>> 1. Yes, this behavior persists in no add-ons mode.
>>>
>>> 2. Yes, it persists and in fact I haven't varied much from those default
>>> options, other than deselecting Passive FTP, searching from the address
>>> bar, smooth scrolling, and selecting always check for phishing sites.
>>>
>>> 3. I'm using NOD32 v4.0.467.0 and Windows Defender. There is no 3rd
>>> party
>>> firewall. SP2 and SP3 were installed from CD's with no other software
>>> running at all, including AV
>>>
>>> 4. McAfee or Symantec have never been installed on this machine.

Re: Will I be happy with IE8
What Donald said.

Mike H wrote:
> Well I appreciate what both of you have said. You're right on-IE7 has this
> child container problem which IE8 does not. I may or may not be interested
> in fixing that...it's really not much of a problem.
>
> What I was asking is if IE8 is a faster application than IE7 and if I'll
> be
> happy with it on this not-state-of-the-art machine. This question is hard
> to answer from reviews. Microsoft says it has a fast page load. Third
> parties say it's resource intensive but most of those reviews were against
> the betas.
>
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:00:21 -0500, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
>> See Donald's reply. Also see the numerous workarounds in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917 if you'd rather stick with IE7.
>>
>> Mike H wrote:
>>> PA-Bear, actually I was wondering if I'd be happy with IE8 on an older
>>> machine which runs IE7 only adequately. Facebook scripting really dogs
>>> it
>>> down, though. In fact, any site heavy in scripting dogs it down. Not so
>>> with Firefox, so maybe a newer version of IE overcomes some of that?
>>> See,
>>> I'm running a PIII 1.33 GHz Tualatin with 1GB of RAM. I've wondered if
>>> IE7
>>> might be the last browser upgrade I do, fearing that IE8 might add
>>> features
>>> which will only slow me down more.
>>>
>>> To answer your questions:
>>>
>>> The error I referred to is a well documented one, and I can reproduce it
>>> at
>>> will by going to:
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33400857...-destinations/
>>> and then scrolling down and clicking the link "World's Scariest Runways"
>>> (http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...est-runways/2/)
>>> On some sites, that error will disappear upon a 2nd navigation to the
>>> site,
>>> but not so this one.
>>>
>>> 1. Yes, this behavior persists in no add-ons mode.
>>>
>>> 2. Yes, it persists and in fact I haven't varied much from those default
>>> options, other than deselecting Passive FTP, searching from the address
>>> bar, smooth scrolling, and selecting always check for phishing sites.
>>>
>>> 3. I'm using NOD32 v4.0.467.0 and Windows Defender. There is no 3rd
>>> party
>>> firewall. SP2 and SP3 were installed from CD's with no other software
>>> running at all, including AV
>>>
>>> 4. McAfee or Symantec have never been installed on this machine.

Mike H

Re: Will I be happy with IE8
What they said...

Okay, I downloaded the IE8 installer from the IE site. Every now and then I
glance over at that download wondering if this is the moment I'm going to
do it!

I guess when I finally make up my mind to do it I'll let you know how it
went. Incredibly nice set of links, btw, Donald.

Best regards Donald and PA Bear...