Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
muswell
 

Posts: n/a
Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling
If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer, the
size of elements change.

This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should be
addressed and fixed accordingly.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
C A Upsdell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling
muswell wrote:
> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer,
> the size of elements change.
>
> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should
> be addressed and fixed accordingly.


URL?

Version(s) of IE?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling
Don't hold the Ctrl key while you are scrolling or perhaps your keyboard has
a sticky ctl key.

Regards.

"muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:4F6DF661-41C3-40B9-994E-1829B2A68AE8@microsoft.com...
> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer, the
> size of elements change.
>
> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should be
> addressed and fixed accordingly.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
muswell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling

"C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> wrote in message
news:ubxoewDWKHA.5368@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> muswell wrote:
>> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer,
>> the size of elements change.
>>
>> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should
>> be addressed and fixed accordingly.

>
> URL?
>
> Version(s) of IE?
>
>
>


It's on my own system where I'm using the exact same elements and styles but
IE changes it's treatement of any and all measurement units. No other
browsers do this when rendering XHTML (xml compliant) code.

Microsoft really need to learn something from other developers and stop
making their browser interpret values differently depending on page source.
In the real world an inch is an inch, a millimeter is a millimetre,
different spellings but the same measure is used anywhere in the world so
why should a browser be any different.

It's a real joke that such an opinion can be expressed in this way to say
that XHTML is somehow different from XML depending on whether or not XSL is
used.

Come on Microsoft, it's time to get your act together and take the lead not
keep on with the same tired and worn out excuses.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
muswell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling

"rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news0BCD147-CAEF-4A7D-BBF1-262756A26B5D@microsoft.com...
> Don't hold the Ctrl key while you are scrolling or perhaps your keyboard
> has a sticky ctl key.
>
> Regards.
>
> "muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> news:4F6DF661-41C3-40B9-994E-1829B2A68AE8@microsoft.com...
>> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer,
>> the size of elements change.
>>
>> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should
>> be addressed and fixed accordingly.
>>


You're not serious are you?

Do you know anything at all about web standards?

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling
And DPI?

"muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:u9DVIfEWKHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> "C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> wrote in message
> news:ubxoewDWKHA.5368@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> muswell wrote:
>>> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer,
>>> the size of elements change.
>>>
>>> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should
>>> be addressed and fixed accordingly.

>>
>> URL?
>>
>> Version(s) of IE?
>>
>>
>>

>
> It's on my own system where I'm using the exact same elements and styles
> but IE changes it's treatement of any and all measurement units. No other
> browsers do this when rendering XHTML (xml compliant) code.
>
> Microsoft really need to learn something from other developers and stop
> making their browser interpret values differently depending on page
> source. In the real world an inch is an inch, a millimeter is a
> millimetre, different spellings but the same measure is used anywhere in
> the world so why should a browser be any different.
>
> It's a real joke that such an opinion can be expressed in this way to say
> that XHTML is somehow different from XML depending on whether or not XSL
> is used.
>
> Come on Microsoft, it's time to get your act together and take the lead
> not keep on with the same tired and worn out excuses.
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling
Put up or shut up. Lets see your master piece.

"muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:uUI8CgEWKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news0BCD147-CAEF-4A7D-BBF1-262756A26B5D@microsoft.com...
>> Don't hold the Ctrl key while you are scrolling or perhaps your keyboard
>> has a sticky ctl key.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> news:4F6DF661-41C3-40B9-994E-1829B2A68AE8@microsoft.com...
>>> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer,
>>> the size of elements change.
>>>
>>> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should
>>> be addressed and fixed accordingly.
>>>

>
> You're not serious are you?
>
> Do you know anything at all about web standards?
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling
I have intellisence, but I still use the validators.

I know I can make mistakes and test accordingly.

(believe it or not, the w3c, total and tidy validators aren't perfect)

so how many dots per inch are there in 20% of 50px?

If you are talking about rounding errors in the calculation of line-height,
this is known and there are no planned fixes (see connect.microsoft.com) as
the variance is on 1px in 17 lines which is not detectable to the naked eye.



Regards.

"muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:uUI8CgEWKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news0BCD147-CAEF-4A7D-BBF1-262756A26B5D@microsoft.com...
>> Don't hold the Ctrl key while you are scrolling or perhaps your keyboard
>> has a sticky ctl key.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> news:4F6DF661-41C3-40B9-994E-1829B2A68AE8@microsoft.com...
>>> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer,
>>> the size of elements change.
>>>
>>> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should
>>> be addressed and fixed accordingly.
>>>

>
> You're not serious are you?
>
> Do you know anything at all about web standards?
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
muswell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling
As said previously, it's not the measurement units themselves it's
inconsistency across the board and I believe it's to do with the
compatibility mode in internet explorer.

Basically what microsoft have done is sacrifice basic standards for the sake
of running proprietary scripts and extensions.

This in no way advances the cause of web standards at all and sets the clock
back years.

There was a time when many authors praised microsoft for their powerful
implementations, often incomplete but way ahead of the pack in terms of
providing the basics but now it seems they are falling behind as others'
have implemented things more cautiously microsoft have to please a
non-discerning constituency that don't care about the future.

"rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23GiXCtEWKHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I have intellisence, but I still use the validators.
>
> I know I can make mistakes and test accordingly.
>
> (believe it or not, the w3c, total and tidy validators aren't perfect)
>
> so how many dots per inch are there in 20% of 50px?
>
> If you are talking about rounding errors in the calculation of
> line-height, this is known and there are no planned fixes (see
> connect.microsoft.com) as the variance is on 1px in 17 lines which is not
> detectable to the naked eye.
>
>
>
> Regards.
>
> "muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> news:uUI8CgEWKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news0BCD147-CAEF-4A7D-BBF1-262756A26B5D@microsoft.com...
>>> Don't hold the Ctrl key while you are scrolling or perhaps your keyboard
>>> has a sticky ctl key.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> "muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>> news:4F6DF661-41C3-40B9-994E-1829B2A68AE8@microsoft.com...
>>>> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer,
>>>> the size of elements change.
>>>>
>>>> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that should
>>>> be addressed and fixed accordingly.
>>>>

>>
>> You're not serious are you?
>>
>> Do you know anything at all about web standards?
>>


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Percentage values for measurements effected by scrolling
cya,

Chuck is a guru.

Regards.

"muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:OOa445EWKHA.4780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> As said previously, it's not the measurement units themselves it's
> inconsistency across the board and I believe it's to do with the
> compatibility mode in internet explorer.
>
> Basically what microsoft have done is sacrifice basic standards for the
> sake of running proprietary scripts and extensions.
>
> This in no way advances the cause of web standards at all and sets the
> clock back years.
>
> There was a time when many authors praised microsoft for their powerful
> implementations, often incomplete but way ahead of the pack in terms of
> providing the basics but now it seems they are falling behind as others'
> have implemented things more cautiously microsoft have to please a
> non-discerning constituency that don't care about the future.
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23GiXCtEWKHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>I have intellisence, but I still use the validators.
>>
>> I know I can make mistakes and test accordingly.
>>
>> (believe it or not, the w3c, total and tidy validators aren't perfect)
>>
>> so how many dots per inch are there in 20% of 50px?
>>
>> If you are talking about rounding errors in the calculation of
>> line-height, this is known and there are no planned fixes (see
>> connect.microsoft.com) as the variance is on 1px in 17 lines which is not
>> detectable to the naked eye.
>>
>>
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> news:uUI8CgEWKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news0BCD147-CAEF-4A7D-BBF1-262756A26B5D@microsoft.com...
>>>> Don't hold the Ctrl key while you are scrolling or perhaps your
>>>> keyboard has a sticky ctl key.
>>>>
>>>> Regards.
>>>>
>>>> "muswell" <muswell@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>>> news:4F6DF661-41C3-40B9-994E-1829B2A68AE8@microsoft.com...
>>>>> If a scrollbar is present on a web page rendered in internet explorer,
>>>>> the size of elements change.
>>>>>
>>>>> This does not happen in the other browsers and is something that
>>>>> should be addressed and fixed accordingly.
>>>>>
>>>
>>> You're not serious are you?
>>>
>>> Do you know anything at all about web standards?
>>>

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Percentage of people using Windows XP SP 1/ 2/ 3 Winnie microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 07-24-2009 14:13
Vertical scrolling...jumps rather than smooth scrolling - Excel 20 =?Utf-8?B?TWlsbGVyIE1hbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 04-24-2009 03:06
Percentage of junk e-mails from Taiwan falls to ten Steve Security News 0 04-21-2009 09:20
Battery maximum charge percentage Rajesh A microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 01-26-2009 11:57
Battery percentage isn't changing kirri microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 11-17-2007 08:09




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:49.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120