IE 8 is very slow

JS

IE 8 is very slow
Greetings, my XP pc has IE8 and a dial-up connection, and web pages are very
slow to load. I know that dial-up is slow, but this is ridiculous. I am not
sure whether it is a problem with IE or the pc's connection, but can someone
give me some tips to use so I can speed this up?
Thanks,
JS

Re: IE 8 is very slow
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

it)?
www.banthecheck.com

JS wrote:
> Greetings, my XP pc has IE8 and a dial-up connection, and web pages are
> very
> slow to load. I know that dial-up is slow, but this is ridiculous. I am
> not
> sure whether it is a problem with IE or the pc's connection, but can
> someone
> give me some tips to use so I can speed this up?
> Thanks,
> JS

rob^_^

Re: IE 8 is very slow
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons).

or

Tools>Internet Options - Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser
extensions". restart the browser.

Regards.

"JS" <JS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings, my XP pc has IE8 and a dial-up connection, and web pages are
> very
> slow to load. I know that dial-up is slow, but this is ridiculous. I am
> not
> sure whether it is a problem with IE or the pc's connection, but can
> someone
> give me some tips to use so I can speed this up?
> Thanks,
> JS

JS

Re: IE 8 is very slow
XP Pro SP-3 ver 5.1.2600 build 2600
1. Yes, the behavior persists when IE is in no addon mode.
2. I went to the link you provided for the "reset" and I chose (probably
unwisely) the "let us fix it" option.
It does seem to behave better.
3. I have free AVG antivirus. Also S & D installed.
I am not sure whether or not these were running when I installed/upgraded to
IE8, but they probably were.
4.no Norton or McAfee on this pc at all at any times.

note: next time, would it be better if I chose to find out which add-on is
causing the slowdown? Do I need Silverlight? I just browse the web often,
check email. etc.
Thanks for your help!
JS

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> JS wrote:
> > Greetings, my XP pc has IE8 and a dial-up connection, and web pages are
> > very
> > slow to load. I know that dial-up is slow, but this is ridiculous. I am
> > not
> > sure whether it is a problem with IE or the pc's connection, but can
> > someone
> > give me some tips to use so I can speed this up?
> > Thanks,
> > JS

> .

Re: IE 8 is very slow
Tip: Uninstall AVG Free via Add/Remove Programs & reboot. Now do a fresh
install of AVG Free v9.0, this time selecting the CUSTOM install option and
do not install Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security
toolbar or any of the email scanning components.

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

JS wrote:
> XP Pro SP-3 ver 5.1.2600 build 2600
> 1. Yes, the behavior persists when IE is in no addon mode.
> 2. I went to the link you provided for the "reset" and I chose (probably
> unwisely) the "let us fix it" option.
> It does seem to behave better.
> 3. I have free AVG antivirus. Also S & D installed.
> I am not sure whether or not these were running when I installed/upgraded
> IE8, but they probably were.
> 4.no Norton or McAfee on this pc at all at any times.
>
> note: next time, would it be better if I chose to find out which add-on is
> causing the slowdown? Do I need Silverlight? I just browse the web often,
> check email. etc.
> Thanks for your help!
> JS
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
>> this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE8?
>>
>> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> JS wrote:
>>> Greetings, my XP pc has IE8 and a dial-up connection, and web pages are
>>> very
>>> slow to load. I know that dial-up is slow, but this is ridiculous. I am
>>> not
>>> sure whether it is a problem with IE or the pc's connection, but can
>>> someone
>>> give me some tips to use so I can speed this up?
>>> Thanks,
>>> JS

>> .

Daave

Re: IE 8 is very slow
JS wrote:
> Greetings, my XP pc has IE8 and a dial-up connection, and web pages
> are very slow to load. I know that dial-up is slow, but this is
> ridiculous. I am not sure whether it is a problem with IE or the pc's
> connection, but can someone give me some tips to use so I can speed
> this up?

It's quite possible an add-on or toolbar is mucking things up.

Then again, it might just be your Internet connection speed. Why not try
another browser to see if performance improves or not? Opera is popular.
So is Firefox. I happen to like K-Meleon. You can even try Off By One!

Also, you can try IE8 in No Add-Ons mode. If there is a dranatic
improvement, you need to address your add-ons because at least one of
them is messing things up.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 is very slow
<see below>
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Daave wrote:
> JS wrote:
>> Greetings, my XP pc has IE8 and a dial-up connection, and web pages
>> are very slow to load. I know that dial-up is slow, but this is
>> ridiculous. I am not sure whether it is a problem with IE or the pc's
>> connection, but can someone give me some tips to use so I can speed
>> this up?

> It's quite possible an add-on or toolbar is mucking things up.
>
> Then again, it might just be your Internet connection speed. Why not try
> another browser to see if performance improves or not? Opera is popular.
> So is Firefox. I happen to like K-Meleon. You can even try Off By One!
>
> Also, you can try IE8 in No Add-Ons mode. If there is a dranatic
> improvement, you need to address your add-ons because at least one of
> them is messing things up.

Daave is a sharp guy and a valuable contributor, so I hope he won't mind
if I make one little correction:

Your choice of browser does not affect the speed of your internet
connection.

The speed of your connection to the internet is determined by your ISP,
and affected by local conditions and the state of your hardware.

Browsers use different technologies to render web pages (i.e., draw them
on your monitor), but by now these are mature technologies, and the
difference in rendering speed among browsers is hard to measure.

The speed with which browsers render web pages is also affected by the
speed with which remote servers send the bytes in the first place, and
that can vary from minute to minute.

If a browser seems slow, the most likely things to consider are malware
(which can target one browser but not another) and browser add-ons
(which are written differently for different browsers).

LG
BearPa

Re: IE 8 is very slow

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Tip: Uninstall AVG Free via Add/Remove Programs & reboot. Now do a fresh
> install of AVG Free v9.0, this time selecting the CUSTOM install option and
> do not install Linkscanner, Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security
> toolbar or any of the email scanning components.
>
> Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>

> JS wrote:
> > XP Pro SP-3 ver 5.1.2600 build 2600
> > 1. Yes, the behavior persists when IE is in no addon mode.
> > 2. I went to the link you provided for the "reset" and I chose (probably
> > unwisely) the "let us fix it" option.
> > It does seem to behave better.
> > 3. I have free AVG antivirus. Also S & D installed.
> > I am not sure whether or not these were running when I installed/upgraded
> > IE8, but they probably were.
> > 4.no Norton or McAfee on this pc at all at any times.
> >
> > note: next time, would it be better if I chose to find out which add-on is
> > causing the slowdown? Do I need Silverlight? I just browse the web often,
> > check email. etc.
> > Thanks for your help!
> > JS
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
> >> this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> >> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> >> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> >> installed
> >> IE8?
> >>
> >> 4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

> >> .

> XP pro sp3 5.1.2600 same as JS

New here - don't know if I should post new thread. I'm not PA Bear, though
hello to my doppelganger.
> . I have the same problem. Just got highspeed and did many long-delayed updates. Upgraded to IE8 from IE7. New fast connection immediately loaded pages much slower after IE8 install, as slow as dial-up. I did "no-add-ons" mode with no luck. Does the install suggest any additional clue to a solution before I reset settings? I won't have time to get to resetting today, tomorrow maybe more. I guess resetting makes me nervous.

I do have McAfee (trial, not renewed but w/firewall?manager?, anti-phish,
spam, annoying update prompter, av w/ old definitions, etc),
Search&Destrot/tea-timer, all auto updates off. For new av's did online
various checkups; will try MS freebie one soon. Am very careful about
downloads.
I guess restting will give me a chance to learn more about add-ons and maybe
get rid of pesky tool/helper prompts that started after update to Outlook 6
back in Apr. Nothing to fear, onward! Thanks.
> .

Re: IE 8 is very slow
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems
if you need assistance. State your IE version and full Windows version
(e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

BearPa wrote:
<snippage>
> XP pro sp3 5.1.2600 same as JS
> New here - don't know if I should post new thread. I'm not PA Bear, though

<snippage>
> I do have McAfee (trial, not renewed but w/firewall?manager?, anti-phish,
> spam, annoying update prompter, av w/ old definitions, etc),
> Search&Destrot/tea-timer, all auto updates off. For new av's did online
> various checkups; will try MS freebie one soon. Am very careful about
> downloads.
> I guess restting will give me a chance to learn more about add-ons and
> maybe
> get rid of pesky tool/helper prompts that started after update to Outlook
> 6
> back in Apr. Nothing to fear, onward! Thanks.

undisclosed

Re: IE 8 is very slow

Hi, this is Kate with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team. Try managing
your add-ons. In IE, go to tools and manage add-ons. Disabling any
unnecessary add-ons may help your Internet run faster. Try disabling
add-ons with more than a .2 sec load time. (i.e. tool bars)
If youre still not having any luck, I recommend you reinstall IE8 on
your system.
Hope this helps!

--
Kate_IE8_Team