IE8 with IE6 skin

JonCamaroZ

IE8 with IE6 skin
I recently discovered that you can still use the classic look of IE6 even
with IE8 installed.
Using XP Pro SP3, all you have to do is use the following executable found at:
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe

It does cause multiple iexplorers to open, but I'm still searching for a
method on making this work properly.

***If anyone has any suggestions or knows how to, PLEASE SHARE!!!***

Re: IE8 with IE6 skin
QED: Why not just uninstall IE8?

JonCamaroZ wrote:
> I recently discovered that you can still use the classic look of IE6 even
> with IE8 installed.
> Using XP Pro SP3, all you have to do is use the following executable found
> at: C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe
>
> It does cause multiple iexplorers to open, but I'm still searching for a
> method on making this work properly.
>
> ***If anyone has any suggestions or knows how to, PLEASE SHARE!!!***

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 with IE6 skin
Use software the way it was designed to be used or live with the
consequences of doing it 'your way'.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

JonCamaroZ wrote:
> I recently discovered that you can still use the classic look of IE6 even
> with IE8 installed.
> Using XP Pro SP3, all you have to do is use the following executable found at:
> C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe
>
> It does cause multiple iexplorers to open, but I'm still searching for a
> method on making this work properly.
>
> ***If anyone has any suggestions or knows how to, PLEASE SHARE!!!***

Steve Kasian

Re: IE8 with IE6 skin
You people just don't get it. YOU are the problem with the world of computing
today. YOU are the reason MS does all of the annoying, atrocious things it
does.

You just looooove doing things exactly the way MS wants you to do things,
don't you? You can't think for yourselves, have your own opinions, senses of
style... none of that. You just want to be spoon fed whatever it is that MS
wants to spoon feed you, just the way they want to spoon feed you. Even when
it's fresh, steaming bullcrap right out of the pasture.

"Other people" (i.e. people who think for themselves and have at least a
hint of individuality) thrive on doing things "their way". They despise being
forced into submission by world-alteringly annoying companies like Micro$oft.
They want customizability and want to be able to continue to do things in
ways that have worked perfectly for them for years, and in some cases decades.

There is no reason to force change on people when there is no actual "need"
for said change. If you improve your web browser, bravo! Now let me use the
same damn interface I've used for 15 years because there is ABSOLUTELY NO
REASON NOT TO! It works the same, regardless of where the address bar is
located! So give me my damn address bar wherever the hell I want it! If I
want it at the bottom of the browser, let me put it at the bottom of my
browser! If I want it hanging off the side because I've used it that way for
15 years, let me hang the godforsaken thing off the side and be happy!

I have said it a million times and will continue to say it until enough of
you unintelligent ***** wake the hell up and realize this truth:

Microsoft is about one thing and one thing only: Stifling Innovation.

And they are masters at it. They do it better than any company in history.
They weave this philosophy into everything they do, and into every new
software "update" they release. The concept is simple: Force the public into
submission, making them do everything they do with their computers
Microsoft's way. It's the ultimate way of maintaining and extending their
control over the marketplace.

This is not my opinion, it has been found to be FACT by numerous courts
around the world. Microsoft has been found GUILTY (Not accused but ACTUALLY
JUDGED GUILTY), by multiple courts in the US and in other countries, of
unfair trade practices and monopolizing the marketplace. This is their trade
- it's 'what they do'.

And this philosophy is the most effective tool of their trade.

Now give me my damn IE6 skin back so I can surf the web they way I want to
surf the web, damn you Microsoft!

SK

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Use software the way it was designed to be used or live with the
> consequences of doing it 'your way'.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> JonCamaroZ wrote:
> > I recently discovered that you can still use the classic look of IE6 even
> > with IE8 installed.
> > Using XP Pro SP3, all you have to do is use the following executable found at:
> > C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe
> >
> > It does cause multiple iexplorers to open, but I'm still searching for a
> > method on making this work properly.
> >
> > ***If anyone has any suggestions or knows how to, PLEASE SHARE!!!***

> .

Re: IE8 with IE6 skin
<yawn> No one here works for or represents Microsoft.

In a reply to a thread from over 2 @#$% months ago, Steve Kasian wrote:
> You people just don't get it. YOU are the problem with the world of
> computing today. YOU are the reason MS does all of the annoying, atrocious
> things it does...

rob^_^

Re: IE8 with IE6 skin
Nobody here works for nor receives cash for comments from M$. Your rant here
is useless.

You can submit feedback to MSFT at connect.microsoft.com, but constructive
criticism backed by a solid argument (statistics etc) will make your
suggestions more credible. Other users there can vote for your suggestions
and MS will take into consideration the most popular suggestions.

PS. I am an IE Addon developer directly affected by the MS decision to
change the IE UI and remove backbitmap support. I know the reasons for their
'madness' and accept it. You have to realize too that the biggest users of
MS software are corporates. Security, functionality and speed comes before
Eye Candy. Microsoft itself is probably the biggest single user of its own
software.

Unfortunately the user experience of Hotbar (free version) has left some
miss-conceptions about the benefits of allowing users to customize their
browsing experience. Most corporate deployments are 'locked' down to prevent
user tampering. Fixing user 'tweaks' is expensive in time and effort.

If you are using XP there is nothing stopping you from continuing to use the
updated and hardened IE6 with the traditional UI.

All Windows versions still support backbitmaps for the Shell UI. (even Win7
TG!)

It looks like the UI will undergo another revamp in the next gen IE. I
suspect that they are erring in the direction of more UI customization to
counter other browser vendors. This will only be for the Win7 platform
though (don't assume anything though). What is Caesars is Caesar's, what is
God's is God's.

my site: http://www.iecustomizer.com , you want candy? ( and tweaks to
customize your toolbar layout) (the site is flakey. Give me time I'm SOHO)

you can also try Windows Blinds or SkinUI. There are known issues with these
vendors skinning programs which THEY are yet to address.

I am happily running all versions of IE on Virtual Machines on my Vista and
Win7 hosts. You can even do the same on a MAC these days.

Regards.

"Steve Kasian" <Steve Kasian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> surf the web, damn you Microsoft!
>
> SK
>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Use software the way it was designed to be used or live with the
>> consequences of doing it 'your way'.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> JonCamaroZ wrote:
>> > I recently discovered that you can still use the classic look of IE6
>> > even
>> > with IE8 installed.
>> > Using XP Pro SP3, all you have to do is use the following executable
>> > found at:
>> > C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\iexplore.exe
>> >
>> > It does cause multiple iexplorers to open, but I'm still searching for
>> > method on making this work properly.
>> >
>> > ***If anyone has any suggestions or knows how to, PLEASE SHARE!!!***

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 with IE6 skin
Steve Kasian wrote:

> You people just don't get it.

Unlike you, we actually work and have been working long enough to see how
the real world functions. It isn't centralized around your wants.

> YOU are the problem with the world of computing
> today. YOU are the reason MS does all of the annoying, atrocious things it
> does.

Oh yes, Microsoft listens to me intently to all my malicious wants and
rants.

> You just looooove doing things exactly the way MS wants you to do things,
> don't you?

Apparently so do you since you have yet to abandon Microsoft-ware and wander
off into the Linux world.

> You can't think for yourselves,

You have thus proven how much you think.

> have your own opinions, senses of
> style... none of that. You just want to be spoon fed whatever it is that MS
> wants to spoon feed you, just the way they want to spoon feed you. Even when
> it's fresh, steaming bullcrap right out of the pasture.

Aw, did mommy refuse to let you suckle anymore?

> "Other people" (i.e. people who think for themselves and have at least a
> hint of individuality) thrive on doing things "their way". They despise being
> forced into submission by world-alteringly annoying companies like Micro$oft.
> They want customizability and want to be able to continue to do things in
> ways that have worked perfectly for them for years, and in some cases decades.

So don't do it Microsoft's way. Do it your own way. Write your own code or
hire someone to do it for you. Then you'll exactly what you deserve.

<snip - just more whining by a child>

Skin for IE8 in WinXP Richard Mitnick microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 2 07-01-2010 14:50
Seeing With Your Skin? Steve General Technology News 0 10-03-2008 23:10
Skin and Bones 1.0 Gamer Games Feed 0 05-11-2008 09:00
WMP default skin disappeared max-s microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 07-05-2007 04:41