Problem: Suppress expanding folders in 'add to favorites'

Ed G

Problem: Suppress expanding folders in 'add to favorites'
I have systems with huge 'favorites' folders, often with thousands of
entries (research apps). On "Add to Favorites", IE7 insists on
expanding each and every subfolder all the way down the huge tree!
(why?) This doesn't just take a lot of time--it makes the folder
structure impossible to navigate--somewhat equivalent to opening "My
computer" and having all the folders on the system expand and display.

I have not located any option settings or registry patches to fix
this. Anyone know if it's been addressed in any form? New version or
patch for IE? Another browser maybe?

Gordon

Re: Problem: Suppress expanding folders in 'add to favorites'

"Ed G" <edG@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have systems with huge 'favorites' folders, often with thousands of
> entries (research apps). On "Add to Favorites", IE7 insists on
> expanding each and every subfolder all the way down the huge tree!
> (why?) This doesn't just take a lot of time--it makes the folder
> structure impossible to navigate--somewhat equivalent to opening "My
> computer" and having all the folders on the system expand and display.
>
> I have not located any option settings or registry patches to fix
> this. Anyone know if it's been addressed in any form? New version or
> patch for IE? Another browser maybe?

Don't use the "Add to Favorites" function - open the Favorites side bar and
drag the URL to the folder you want.

Donald Anadell

Re: Problem: Suppress expanding folders in 'add to favorites'

"Ed G" <edG@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have systems with huge 'favorites' folders, often with thousands of
> entries (research apps). On "Add to Favorites", IE7 insists on
> expanding each and every subfolder all the way down the huge tree!
> (why?) This doesn't just take a lot of time--it makes the folder
> structure impossible to navigate--somewhat equivalent to opening "My
> computer" and having all the folders on the system expand and display.

A known issue with IE7, WYSIWYG.

> I have not located any option settings or registry patches to fix
> this. Anyone know if it's been addressed in any form? New version or
> patch for IE?

Issue still exists in IE8, WYSIWYG.

Another browser maybe?

Perhaps, it's your prerogative. Or simply use the workaround posted by
Gordon in this thread.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> "Ed G" <edG@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have systems with huge 'favorites' folders, often with thousands of
>> entries (research apps). On "Add to Favorites", IE7 insists on
>> expanding each and every subfolder all the way down the huge tree!
>> (why?) This doesn't just take a lot of time--it makes the folder
>> structure impossible to navigate--somewhat equivalent to opening "My
>> computer" and having all the folders on the system expand and display.

> A known issue with IE7, WYSIWYG.

And it's not changed with IE8 either..

Donald Anadell

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23v$%23$E%23VKHA.4360@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl.. .

> "Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed G" <edG@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have systems with huge 'favorites' folders, often with thousands of
>>> entries (research apps). On "Add to Favorites", IE7 insists on
>>> expanding each and every subfolder all the way down the huge tree!
>>> (why?) This doesn't just take a lot of time--it makes the folder
>>> structure impossible to navigate--somewhat equivalent to opening "My
>>> computer" and having all the folders on the system expand and display.

>> A known issue with IE7, WYSIWYG.
>>

> And it's not changed with IE8 either..

I believe I said that)

<Quote>
Issue still exists in IE8, WYSIWYG.
</Quote>

> Thanks for posting the workaround. I've programmed simple browsers by
> wrapping the internal IE com object. Lots of work to add all the
> frills, but maybe I'll revisit that code eventually. Or hopefully
> there's another browser that behaves more logically.

Firefox does it the "old fashioned" way AFAIR....

Ed G

Re: Problem: Suppress expanding folders in 'add to favorites'
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:13:51 -0000, "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed G" <edG@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have systems with huge 'favorites' folders, often with thousands of
>>> entries (research apps). On "Add to Favorites", IE7 insists on
>>> expanding each and every subfolder all the way down the huge tree!
>>> (why?) This doesn't just take a lot of time--it makes the folder
>>> structure impossible to navigate--somewhat equivalent to opening "My
>>> computer" and having all the folders on the system expand and display.

>> A known issue with IE7, WYSIWYG.

>And it's not changed with IE8 either..

You have to wonder who's designing their UIs sometimes. With one
release, that's a mistake. To keep doing it is incompetence on the
part of the designers.