Internet Explorer and www.bbc.co.uk

PeterK

Internet Explorer and www.bbc.co.uk
Why is it whenever I try to go to this website (www.bbc.co.uk) IE8 encounters
a problem and then re-loads the page, encounters a problem again and then say
it can't display the page.

I had no problem with IE7 and have now resorted to using Firefox and have no
problem, which obviously isn't what Microsoft wants me to do :-).

I am using Vista if that helps.
Gordon

Re: Internet Explorer and www.bbc.co.uk

"PeterK" <PeterK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why is it whenever I try to go to this website (www.bbc.co.uk) IE8
> encounters
> a problem and then re-loads the page, encounters a problem again and then
> say
> it can't display the page.
>
> I had no problem with IE7 and have now resorted to using Firefox and have
> no
> problem, which obviously isn't what Microsoft wants me to do :-).
>
> I am using Vista if that helps.

Dunno. That page has always worked here for me in all versions of IE on all
versions of Windows...

muswell

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "PeterK" <PeterK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Why is it whenever I try to go to this website (www.bbc.co.uk) IE8
>> encounters
>> a problem and then re-loads the page, encounters a problem again and then
>> say
>> it can't display the page.
>>
>> I had no problem with IE7 and have now resorted to using Firefox and have
>> no
>> problem, which obviously isn't what Microsoft wants me to do :-).
>>
>> I am using Vista if that helps.

> Dunno. That page has always worked here for me in all versions of IE on
> all versions of Windows...

Microsoft don't care what browser you use so long as it's them who set the
standards at w3c

It's only a pity they can't uphold established norms and use that to take
the lead but would rather argue over petty semantics, while forgetting to
implement agreed recommendations.

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer and www.bbc.co.uk
That URL works on my copy of IE 8. The complete page loads perfectly. I
guess that means IE 8 'upholds established norms' after all.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

> That URL works on my copy of IE 8. The complete page loads perfectly. I
> guess that means IE 8 'upholds established norms' after all.

Not when you're talking XML and XSLT it doesn't, it's a tardy piece of
rubbish that needs a complete design overhaul.

The latest update is evidence of the pathetic approach towards standards
that microsft takes, even measurement units don't correspond when scrollbars
are active.

> muswell wrote:
>>
>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "PeterK" <PeterK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Dunno. That page has always worked here for me in all versions of IE on
>>> all versions of Windows...

>> Microsoft don't care what browser you use so long as it's them who set
>> the standards at w3c
>>
>> It's only a pity they can't uphold established norms and use that to take
>> the lead but would rather argue over petty semantics, while forgetting to
>> implement agreed recommendations.

Donald Anadell

Re: Internet Explorer and www.bbc.co.uk

"PeterK" <PeterK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why is it whenever I try to go to this website (www.bbc.co.uk) IE8
> encounters
> a problem and then re-loads the page, encounters a problem again and then
> say
> it can't display the page.
>
> I had no problem with IE7 and have now resorted to using Firefox and have
> no
> problem, which obviously isn't what Microsoft wants me to do :-).
>
> I am using Vista if that helps.

No problems here reaching the site with IE6, IE7, or IE8.

The site requires that the Adobe Flash Player ActiveX Control be installed
and working properly. Do you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash
Player installed on the mahcine?

The latest version of the Flash Player is version 10.0.32.18, test here:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

You might try uninstalling and re-installing the Flash Player, see:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

rob^_^

Re: Internet Explorer and www.bbc.co.uk
Hi Gordon,

And in no-Addons mode?

Tripping Tab Crash Recovery indicates an incompatible addon (BBC offers
Quicktime, Realtime and WMP <objects>/<embeds>), other users have no
problems - indicates its your machine configuration.

As opposed to Compatibility View error handling which changes the IE
rendering engine based on the Doctype declaratives of the web page. (there
is no crash tab recovery. To the user, there is no perceivable error
correction.)

MTL - an earlier version of the Google toolbar is installed. Upgrade to v6
at toolbar.google.com.

Also check your UserAgent string at http://www.enhanceie.com/ua.aspx

Regards.