IE8 Office Document Opening

Jordan Hotzel

IE8 Office Document Opening
I used IE 6-8 to open Microsoft Office documents from my college's Blackboard
system.

I never had any problems with it. Just click on the link to the file I
wanted such as a Word document or PowerPoint presentation and Office would
open the document for viewing right in IE.

After upgrading to Office 2010 (Technical Preview), I can no longer do this
from the Blackboard site (not an HTTPS site). I get the link, but clicking on
it brings up a security warning dialog box. It is not a standard security
warning, but rather the whole "some files may contain viruses" blah blah
blah. If you click OK, it then launches Office outside of IE.

Doing this, Office prompts for my login for the server (not my student
blackboard login, but rather an actual server user credential). Obviously,
using my Blackboard student login does not work for the credential.

Using Safari, I do not have the prompt, and the file opens without problems
- just IE.

So, it does not appear to be an Office 2010 issue - rather something related
to security or other settings in IE8. One thing to note however, is that
prior to using Office 2010, I was using Office 2007 (with IE8, same
settings), and did not have this issue.

If I try to simply save the file in IE8 instead of opening it, I get the
warning dialog box, then it asks for my login, and it fails.

I have used the same exact (yes, identical setup) in IE8 between Office 2007
and 2010.

I cross-checked my IE settings with Safari's settings - both are as close to
identical as they can get - cookies, privacy, connections, security, and
permissions.

I've tried tweaking the Trusted Sites IE zone to allow absolutely
everything, then placing the college's sites in that zone and dropping the
HTTPS requirement.

No luck there as well.

Using defaults does not work either. I did read about some odd registry
settings concerning Office and Trusted Locations that could cause it, but my
system doesn't use such settings.

Re: IE8 Office Document Opening
And your Windows version would be...?

> ...One thing to note however, is that
> prior to using Office 2010, I was using Office 2007 (with IE8, same
> settings), and did not have this issue.

Then one assumes that uninstalling Office 2010 beta and returning to Office
2007 would resolve the problem.

Please post about this behavior in an appropriate (Connect) Office 2010 Beta
newsgroup, Jordan, or even bug it.