Go to internet

Dawn Burgoyne

Go to internet
Go to internet shortcut property sheet and make sure target is correct when I try to open favorites. I tried everything that is posted on this site. Please help

mbenso wrote:

I did all of these - even booted into safe mode - same issue.
26-Jul-07

I did all of these - even booted into safe mode - same issue.

Michael

"Don Varnau" wrote:

On July 26, 2007 12:32 PM
mbenso wrote:

Help:Internet Shortcuts missing URL property & IE7 can not save pa
In Vista Ultimate, with Internet Explorer 7, when I drag and drop an URL from
the address bar (e.g. the place where you type in URLs to navigate to), to
the desktop or any folder, it results in a pure white icon (with the shortcut
arrow).

If you double click the icon it gives you a message saying "The target ""
of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet Shortcut proerty
sheet and make sure the target is correct." (Which obviously its not).

If you right click on the icon, and choose properties, then you will see
under the "Details" tab a blank URL for the property.

Another symptom of the problem I am having is that if I save a web page as a
htm, html, or mht file it then says it can not save the web page because one
of the files is missing.

Obviously something is broken. I tried using the Vista DVD to upgrade my
current installation hoping that action would find somehow to fix it - but it
did not. I have a feeling either some .dll is not registered - or that
something in the registry is wrong. I searched through many pages on the net
suggesting that I regsvr32 urlmon.dll, ieframe.dll (doesn't register),
mshtml.dll, oleaut32.dll, and some others and I did such and it did not fix
this problem. I checked the registry for the .url link and obviously that is
correct.

The problem is not the action that happens when you double click the icon -
as if you type in a URL property into the details of an existing Internet
Shortcut (that has a blank URL in properties), or had a previously saved icon
that was working, it opens fine within IE. Favorties still save find and
work when you navigate to the page.

Somehow the information that is in the address bar isn't being put into the
URL property when I drag and drop the Internet Shortcut. Also when saving,
it apparently can't find the file. I assume (and it may be completely wrong)
that it can't find the file because the address of where it is suppose to get
the file from to save is missing.

I have no idea how to fix this - any help would be very much appreciated.
This is the third time this happened with Vista. The first time I
reinstalled Vista, the second time I found a page on the web which seemed to
tell me how to fix it (but I can not find it again), and the third time is
where I am at now. I really do not feel like reinstalling all of Vista and
every application again. Please help.

On July 26, 2007 5:29 PM
Don Varnau wrote:

Hi,This might be caused by a browser add-on or a third-party program that's
Hi,
This might be caused by a browser add-on or a third-party program that's not
listed in add-ons.

Go to IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable all add-ons. See if the problem
goes away. If it does, re-enable add-ons one at a time until the problem
returns. You should close and re-open IE after enabling an add-on.

If disabling add-ons doesn't help, disable other security, privacy,
ad-blocking, appearance tweaking programs. Be sure to turn on the Windows
Firewall from Control Panel> Windows Firewall before disabling a third-party
firewall or security suite.

Note: AntiVir has been known to damage Favorites (Internet Shortcuts,) but
not in the exact scenario you describe.
- - -
Another possibility...
Try the Reset button in Internet Options> Advanced. Note that this will
delete stored (autocomplete) passwords. Do you have those recorded
elsewhere?

What Reset IE Settings will do...
923737- How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737/en-us
- - -
Or...
Control Panel> Default programs> Set your default programs> (select)
Internet Explorer> Set this program as default

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"mbenson" <mbenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
from
shortcut
proerty
one
it
net
fix
is
icon -
icon
the
saving,
wrong)
get
and

On July 26, 2007 6:59 PM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

Re: Help:Internet Shortcuts missing URL property & IE7 can not save pa
"mbenson" <mbenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ieframe.dll also has a DllInstall entry point.
Try using this syntax to use it:

regsvr32 /n /i ieframe.dll

However, supposedly the IE7 replacement to all those regsvr32 based
repair tricks is to use the Reset... button (aka RIES). And before that,
if there are missing modules involved, you might have to use sfc /scannow

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

On July 26, 2007 9:36 PM
mbenso wrote:

I did all of these - even booted into safe mode - same issue.
I did all of these - even booted into safe mode - same issue.

Michael

"Don Varnau" wrote:

On July 26, 2007 9:36 PM
mbenso wrote:

Thanks.
Thanks. I tried disabling and deleting every addon that was in internet
explorer. I also tried the reset all options. Same problem - No joy.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

On July 28, 2007 10:30 AM
mbenso wrote:

I fixed this.
I fixed this. I must give some credit to the MS engineer that worked with me
last night. He thought it might be because I changed location of the
directory for the desktop using the properties function of Vista on the
Desktop folder (e.g. change location after right clicking). While that was
not the problem. it caused me to check if the security permissions were
adequate. I played around with "Enable Protected Mode" within IE7. When
turned off and restarted the browser, the problem disappeared. So I
researched I compared to the security permissions of a system with users'
directories that worked the permissions on the directories of those that did
not work. They were identical. However, I then decided just to add the
current user's permissions to the main folder "mbenson" and propogate
(re-inherit) all the permissions for all subfolders. Upon doing this the
problem disappeared. I am not sure what folder or file had the permissions
set wrong under user or if something else will now be affected by changing
these permissions this way - but at least the problem is gone. I post this
here for any other souls.

"mbenson" wrote:

On March 4, 2009 12:49 AM
jallal alisha wrote:

internet shorcut.
If i double click the icon it gives a message saying "The target ""
of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet Shortcut proerty
sheet and make sure the target is correct."

On March 4, 2009 12:52 AM
jallal alisha wrote:

The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet Shortcut proerty sheet and make sure the target is correct
If idouble click the icon it gives a message saying "The target ""
of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet Shortcut proerty
sheet and make sure the target is correct."

Fiddler Tips & Tricks
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...s--tricks.aspx
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Go to internet

<Dawn Burgoyne> wrote in message news:20091026151958dburgbmm@hotmail.com...

> Go to internet shortcut property sheet and make sure target is correct when I try to open favorites.

And?

> I tried everything that is posted on this site. Please help

You first.

---