IE8 - Interet Options blocked

Barry

IE8 - Interet Options blocked
Dear All
I tried to install ie7, but had problems, so I went to IE 8
It has installed but I cannot open internet options from the tools icon,
say it is restricted.

I closed things like Spybot etc before installing.
But still get the message.

Is it a registry problem or something else please?
I am using Windows XP.
If you require further information, please let me know.
Barry

Re: IE8 - Interet Options blocked
Barry wrote:
> I tried to install ie7, but had problems, so I went to IE 8
> It has installed but I cannot open internet options from the tools icon,
> say it is restricted.
>
> I closed things like Spybot etc before installing.
> But still get the message.
>
> Is it a registry problem or something else please?
> I am using Windows XP.
> If you require further information, please let me know.

Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications
(including Spybot Tea Timer) running in the background when you installed
IE7 or IE8?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Sounds like you've got a hijackware infection on your hands.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Barry wrote:
>> I tried to install ie7, but had problems, so I went to IE 8
>> It has installed but I cannot open internet options from the tools icon,
>> say it is restricted.
>>
>> I closed things like Spybot etc before installing.
>> But still get the message.
>>
>> Is it a registry problem or something else please?
>> I am using Windows XP.
>> If you require further information, please let me know.

> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications (including Spybot Tea Timer) running in the background when
> you installed IE7 or IE8?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
>
> Sounds like you've got a hijackware infection on your hands.

Well, I stopped Spybot, only had AVG running, so, dont think that the
problem.
Thank you
Barry
VanguardLH

Barry wrote:

> I tried to install ie7, but had problems, so I went to IE 8 It has
> installed but I cannot open internet options from the tools icon, say
> it is restricted.
>
> I closed things like Spybot etc before installing. But still get the
> message.

If using NTFS (which enforces permissions on files):
- Go to %systemroot%\system32.
- Right-click on inetcpl.cpl. Select Properties.
- Under Security, check on the permissions for that file.

It is also possible that policies were used to restrict/hide tabs in
the Internet Options applet:
- Run the group policy editor (gpedit.msc).
- Go to User Config -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet
Explorer -> Internet Control Panel.
- Tabs can be disabled/enabled there.

The above assumes you are logged in under an admin-level account.
NEVER use the Administrator account except in dire emergencies. It may
end up being your only available admin-level account in case the
profiles for your other accounts get corrupted. It takes some effort
to create a new profile for the Administrator account. Create an
alternate account in the Administrators group and use that for normal
admin tasks.

VanguardLH wrote:
> Barry wrote:
>
>> I tried to install ie7, but had problems, so I went to IE 8 It has
>> installed but I cannot open internet options from the tools icon, say
>> it is restricted.
>>
>> I closed things like Spybot etc before installing. But still get the
>> message.

> If using NTFS (which enforces permissions on files):
> - Go to %systemroot%\system32.
> - Right-click on inetcpl.cpl. Select Properties.
> - Under Security, check on the permissions for that file.
>
> It is also possible that policies were used to restrict/hide tabs in
> the Internet Options applet:
> - Run the group policy editor (gpedit.msc).
> - Go to User Config -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet
> Explorer -> Internet Control Panel.
> - Tabs can be disabled/enabled there.
>
> The above assumes you are logged in under an admin-level account.
> NEVER use the Administrator account except in dire emergencies. It may
> end up being your only available admin-level account in case the
> profiles for your other accounts get corrupted. It takes some effort
> to create a new profile for the Administrator account. Create an
> alternate account in the Administrators group and use that for normal
> admin tasks.

Hi
Tried to check the permissions on the inetcpl.cpl but could not see
where they where.
Also, cannot run gpedit.msc under teh run command?
Thank you
Barry
VanguardLH

Barry wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Barry wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to install ie7, but had problems, so I went to IE 8 It has
>>> installed but I cannot open internet options from the tools icon, say
>>> it is restricted.
>>>
>>> I closed things like Spybot etc before installing. But still get the
>>> message.

>> If using NTFS (which enforces permissions on files):
>> - Go to %systemroot%\system32.
>> - Right-click on inetcpl.cpl. Select Properties.
>> - Under Security, check on the permissions for that file.
>>
>> It is also possible that policies were used to restrict/hide tabs in
>> the Internet Options applet:
>> - Run the group policy editor (gpedit.msc).
>> - Go to User Config -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet
>> Explorer -> Internet Control Panel.
>> - Tabs can be disabled/enabled there.
>>
>> The above assumes you are logged in under an admin-level account.
>> NEVER use the Administrator account except in dire emergencies. It may
>> end up being your only available admin-level account in case the
>> profiles for your other accounts get corrupted. It takes some effort
>> to create a new profile for the Administrator account. Create an
>> alternate account in the Administrators group and use that for normal
>> admin tasks.

> Hi
> Tried to check the permissions on the inetcpl.cpl but could not see
> where they where.
> Also, cannot run gpedit.msc under teh run command?
> Thank you
> Barry

As mentioned, you will need to be logged on under an admin-level
account. Were you?

Barry wrote:

>> Barry wrote:
>>> I tried to install ie7, but had problems, so I went to IE 8
>>> It has installed but I cannot open internet options from the tools icon,
>>> say it is restricted.
>>>
>>> I closed things like Spybot etc before installing.
>>> But still get the message.
>>>
>>> Is it a registry problem or something else please?
>>> I am using Windows XP.
>>> If you require further information, please let me know.

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

>> applications (including Spybot Tea Timer) running in the background when
>> you installed IE7 or IE8?
>>
>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought it)?
>>
>> Sounds like you've got a hijackware infection on your hands.
>>

> Well, I stopped Spybot, only had AVG running, so, dont think that the
> problem.

Don't rule out the possibility just yet, Barry.

If you (1) disable AVG and Spybot SDHelper & Tea Timer, (2) uninstall IE8
(cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700), and (3) reboot twice, does the
behavior persist in the previous version of IE (which will be automatically
restored in the process)?

Please do NOT reinstall IE8 yet.

VanguardLH wrote:
> Barry wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote:

>>> If using NTFS (which enforces permissions on files):
>>> - Go to %systemroot%\system32.
>>> - Right-click on inetcpl.cpl. Select Properties.
>>> - Under Security, check on the permissions for that file.
>>>
>>> It is also possible that policies were used to restrict/hide tabs in
>>> the Internet Options applet:
>>> - Run the group policy editor (gpedit.msc).
>>> - Go to User Config -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet
>>> Explorer -> Internet Control Panel.
>>> - Tabs can be disabled/enabled there.
>>>
>>> The above assumes you are logged in under an admin-level account.
>>> NEVER use the Administrator account except in dire emergencies. It may
>>> end up being your only available admin-level account in case the
>>> profiles for your other accounts get corrupted. It takes some effort
>>> to create a new profile for the Administrator account. Create an
>>> alternate account in the Administrators group and use that for normal
>>> admin tasks.

>> Hi
>> Tried to check the permissions on the inetcpl.cpl but could not see
>> where they where.
>> Also, cannot run gpedit.msc under teh run command?
>> Thank you
>> Barry

> As mentioned, you will need to be logged on under an admin-level
> account. Were you?

Hi again
I am the only user and therefore Administrator.
Donald Anadell

"Barry" <robert.angus@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Barry wrote:
>>> I tried to install ie7, but had problems, so I went to IE 8 It has
>>> installed but I cannot open internet options from the tools icon, say
>>> it is restricted.
>>> I closed things like Spybot etc before installing. But still get the
>>> message.

>> If using NTFS (which enforces permissions on files): - Go to
>> %systemroot%\system32. - Right-click on inetcpl.cpl. Select
>> Properties. - Under Security, check on the permissions for that file. It
>> is also possible that policies were used to restrict/hide tabs in
>> the Internet Options applet: - Run the group policy editor
>> (gpedit.msc). - Go to User Config -> Admin Templates -> Windows
>> Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel. - Tabs can be
>> disabled/enabled there. The above assumes you are logged in under an
>> admin-level account. NEVER use the Administrator account except in dire
>> emergencies. It may
>> end up being your only available admin-level account in case the
>> profiles for your other accounts get corrupted. It takes some effort
>> to create a new profile for the Administrator account. Create an
>> alternate account in the Administrators group and use that for normal
>> admin tasks.

> Hi
> Tried to check the permissions on the inetcpl.cpl but could not see where
> they where.

Then you are obviously running Windows XP Home edition(It helps if you let
people know up front what OS you are running).
The Security Tab will only show in the Properties Dialog Box if your machine
is booted in Safe Mode.

> Also, cannot run gpedit.msc under teh run command?

Then you are obviously running Windows XP Home Edition(It helps if you let
people know up front what OS you are running).
You will not have gpedit.msc with the Home Edition.

You mentioned that you have Spybot Installed on your machine. Have you
checked the Settings in Spybot to see if you placed restrictions on opening
the Control Panel Applet "inetcpl.cpl"?

Look under "Recommended Miscellaneous Protections"

Make sure there is no checkmark under "Lock IE control panel" (or some such
wording).

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thank you
> Barry

VanguardLH

Barry wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Barry wrote:

>>> Tried to check the permissions on the inetcpl.cpl but could not see
>>> where they where.
>>> Also, cannot run gpedit.msc under teh run command?

>> As mentioned, you will need to be logged on under an admin-level
>> account. Were you?

> I am the only user and therefore Administrator.

That's not a guarantee. Once another admin-level account is defined,
the default Administrator account gets hidden. You won't even see the
Administrator account if using a Home edition of Windows. If you are
using the Home edition of Windows XP, you are *not* logged in as
Administrator unless you [re]boot into Windows' safe mode.

Based on your comments, you are NOT logged in under an admin-level
account (and really should be using an alternate admin-level account
rather than the built-in Administrator account which should only be used
in emergencies). If you are using Administrator as your only account
then you are ripe for when its profile gets corrupted and Windows
becomes unusable to you since you won't have a admin-level account to
recover.

As an admin user, you can see and change the permissions on files. You
can't if you aren't logged in as an admin. However, you might have to
turn off the simple file sharing view in Windows Explorer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

That you are forbidden from running the group policy editor (gpedit.msc)
also indicates that you are not logged on under an admin-level account.
However, "cannot run" doesn't say what actually happened when you tried
to run the program.

Since you "tried" to install IE7 (which says nothing about what happened
but merely impugns that there was some unidentified failure in that
installation) and then followed with an install of IE8, presumably you
were back on IE6. What happens when you uninstall Windows Internet
Explorer 8 using the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel? Do
you revert to IE6 or 7?