Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Possible Fraud

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Possible Fraud
I received an email solicitating information that looks like a fraud. I have
not been able to find an email to forward this to in order to report it. Has
anyone else received this mail? Do you have any suggestions as to how I can
handle this? Thanks for your suggestions. Charles Ranheim

Dear Account Owner,



This message is from Sbcglobal Internet SMS message center to all

sbcgloba account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and

e-mail account center.



We are deleting all unused Sbcglobal account and account password that

has been changed between 4 days back to create more space for new

accounts.



You are advice to verify and confirm your account details below to enable

us upgrade our Sbcglobal Internet Service e.g Sbcglobal E-mail,

Password,and Address etc.



Anyone who fails to submite his or her own will automatically lost his/her

own Account.



Thanks for using Sbcglobal Internet SM

To prevent your Account from closing you will have to update it below

before three days from now!





Confirm Your Account Details

************************************************** ************

Username:

Password:

Zip Code:

************************************************** ************





You will be sent a confirmation letter from Sbcglobal customer service

after our upgrading,Thanks for your understanding.



Customer Service Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or

her own Sbcglobal account before five days of receiving this warning will

lose his or her account permanently.

THANKS

MANAGEMENT


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2009
Patrick Palczewski
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud
Charles,

It would be better to contact SBCGlobal directly (by going to their website
or calling them on the phone) and ask them about this letter to verify its
accuracy. Do NOT reply to the email you received!

When emails contain requests for username/passwords, personal information
and are written with typographical errors and poor grammar, this is a strong
indicator that it's fraud. Another item to look for is if they have any URL
links in the email, if you hover you mouse over the link (without clicking),
at the bottom left of the window it will show you the true link, and it
won't be the website or company the mail claims to be from. A third thing to
look for is that the email is not properly addressed to you (it shows a
different email address in the To: field).

Yeah, you received a fraudulent email, but the tips above help you to catch
others that will land in your inbox.

Patrick P.
www.boydcomputersvcs.com

"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
news:u5xf97XVKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I received an email solicitating information that looks like a fraud. I
> have not been able to find an email to forward this to in order to report
> it. Has anyone else received this mail? Do you have any suggestions as to
> how I can handle this? Thanks for your suggestions. Charles Ranheim
>
> Dear Account Owner,
>
>
>
> This message is from Sbcglobal Internet SMS message center to all
>
> sbcgloba account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and
>
> e-mail account center.
>
>
>
> We are deleting all unused Sbcglobal account and account password that
>
> has been changed between 4 days back to create more space for new
>
> accounts.
>
>
>
> You are advice to verify and confirm your account details below to enable
>
> us upgrade our Sbcglobal Internet Service e.g Sbcglobal E-mail,
>
> Password,and Address etc.
>
>
>
> Anyone who fails to submite his or her own will automatically lost his/her
>
> own Account.
>
>
>
> Thanks for using Sbcglobal Internet SM
>
> To prevent your Account from closing you will have to update it below
>
> before three days from now!
>
>
>
>
>
> Confirm Your Account Details
>
> ************************************************** ************
>
> Username:
>
> Password:
>
> Zip Code:
>
> ************************************************** ************
>
>
>
>
>
> You will be sent a confirmation letter from Sbcglobal customer service
>
> after our upgrading,Thanks for your understanding.
>
>
>
> Customer Service Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or
>
> her own Sbcglobal account before five days of receiving this warning will
>
> lose his or her account permanently.
>
> THANKS
>
> MANAGEMENT
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2009
Jef Roe
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud
just delete it...


"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
news:u5xf97XVKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I received an email solicitating information that looks like a fraud. I
>have not been able to find an email to forward this to in order to report
>it. Has anyone else received this mail? Do you have any suggestions as to
>how I can handle this? Thanks for your suggestions. Charles Ranheim
>
> Dear Account Owner,
>
>
>
> This message is from Sbcglobal Internet SMS message center to all
>
> sbcgloba account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and
>
> e-mail account center.
>
>
>
> We are deleting all unused Sbcglobal account and account password that
>
> has been changed between 4 days back to create more space for new
>
> accounts.
>
>
>
> You are advice to verify and confirm your account details below to enable
>
> us upgrade our Sbcglobal Internet Service e.g Sbcglobal E-mail,
>
> Password,and Address etc.
>
>
>
> Anyone who fails to submite his or her own will automatically lost his/her
>
> own Account.
>
>
>
> Thanks for using Sbcglobal Internet SM
>
> To prevent your Account from closing you will have to update it below
>
> before three days from now!
>
>
>
>
>
> Confirm Your Account Details
>
> ************************************************** ************
>
> Username:
>
> Password:
>
> Zip Code:
>
> ************************************************** ************
>
>
>
>
>
> You will be sent a confirmation letter from Sbcglobal customer service
>
> after our upgrading,Thanks for your understanding.
>
>
>
> Customer Service Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or
>
> her own Sbcglobal account before five days of receiving this warning will
>
> lose his or her account permanently.
>
> THANKS
>
> MANAGEMENT
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2009
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud

"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
news:u5xf97XVKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I received an email solicitating information that looks like a fraud. I
>have not been able to find an email to forward this to in order to report
>it. Has anyone else received this mail? Do you have any suggestions as to
>how I can handle this? Thanks for your suggestions. Charles Ranheim
>
> Dear Account Owner,
>
>
>
> This message is from Sbcglobal Internet SMS message center to all
>
> sbcgloba account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and
>
> e-mail account center.
>
>
>
> We are deleting all unused Sbcglobal account and account password that
>
> has been changed between 4 days back to create more space for new
>
> accounts.
>
>
>
> You are advice to verify and confirm your account details below to enable
>
> us upgrade our Sbcglobal Internet Service e.g Sbcglobal E-mail,
>
> Password,and Address etc.
>
>
>
> Anyone who fails to submite his or her own will automatically lost his/her
>
> own Account.
>
>
>
> Thanks for using Sbcglobal Internet SM
>
> To prevent your Account from closing you will have to update it below
>
> before three days from now!
>
>
>
>
>
> Confirm Your Account Details
>
> ************************************************** ************
>
> Username:
>
> Password:
>
> Zip Code:
>
> ************************************************** ************
>
>
>
>
>
> You will be sent a confirmation letter from Sbcglobal customer service
>
> after our upgrading,Thanks for your understanding.
>
>
>
> Customer Service Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or
>
> her own Sbcglobal account before five days of receiving this warning will
>
> lose his or her account permanently.
>
> THANKS
>
> MANAGEMENT
>
>

You would be surprised to learn how many people fall for such a bogus
message.

I took a copy of the one that I received (a month or so ago by the way) to a
local A T & T store, and the clerk just laughed..
He said, "You didn't reply did you ?". I said "Of course not. A T & T
always sends messages like this via the post office, and they certainly
don't need to ask their customers for info like that."

I did report it to A T & T as clearly false and misleading message.

Jim



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2009
Peter Foldes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud
Anyone asking for Username and Password is not Possible Fraud it is Fraud. Just
delete it and report it giving all possible details of said fraudulent email

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
news:u5xf97XVKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I received an email solicitating information that looks like a fraud. I have not
>been able to find an email to forward this to in order to report it. Has anyone
>else received this mail? Do you have any suggestions as to how I can handle this?
>Thanks for your suggestions. Charles Ranheim
>
> Dear Account Owner,
>
>
>
> This message is from Sbcglobal Internet SMS message center to all
>
> sbcgloba account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and
>
> e-mail account center.
>
>
>
> We are deleting all unused Sbcglobal account and account password that
>
> has been changed between 4 days back to create more space for new
>
> accounts.
>
>
>
> You are advice to verify and confirm your account details below to enable
>
> us upgrade our Sbcglobal Internet Service e.g Sbcglobal E-mail,
>
> Password,and Address etc.
>
>
>
> Anyone who fails to submite his or her own will automatically lost his/her
>
> own Account.
>
>
>
> Thanks for using Sbcglobal Internet SM
>
> To prevent your Account from closing you will have to update it below
>
> before three days from now!
>
>
>
>
>
> Confirm Your Account Details
>
> ************************************************** ************
>
> Username:
>
> Password:
>
> Zip Code:
>
> ************************************************** ************
>
>
>
>
>
> You will be sent a confirmation letter from Sbcglobal customer service
>
> after our upgrading,Thanks for your understanding.
>
>
>
> Customer Service Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or
>
> her own Sbcglobal account before five days of receiving this warning will
>
> lose his or her account permanently.
>
> THANKS
>
> MANAGEMENT
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud
I could not find a way to contact SBC Global, but I did report it to
reportphishing@antiphishing.org and spam@uce.gov. In looking at the message
detail, it looks like it may have come from overseas. I wish sbcglobal.net
had an address available that I could have forwarded it to, but I had no
luck trying to find one.
Thanks for your input. Charles Ranheim


"Patrick Palczewski" <psychiatrist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23zDb9KYVKHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Charles,
>
> It would be better to contact SBCGlobal directly (by going to their
> website or calling them on the phone) and ask them about this letter to
> verify its accuracy. Do NOT reply to the email you received!
>
> When emails contain requests for username/passwords, personal information
> and are written with typographical errors and poor grammar, this is a
> strong indicator that it's fraud. Another item to look for is if they have
> any URL links in the email, if you hover you mouse over the link (without
> clicking), at the bottom left of the window it will show you the true
> link, and it won't be the website or company the mail claims to be from. A
> third thing to look for is that the email is not properly addressed to you
> (it shows a different email address in the To: field).
>
> Yeah, you received a fraudulent email, but the tips above help you to
> catch others that will land in your inbox.
>
> Patrick P.
> www.boydcomputersvcs.com
>
> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
> news:u5xf97XVKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> I received an email solicitating information that looks like a fraud. I
>> have not been able to find an email to forward this to in order to report
>> it. Has anyone else received this mail? Do you have any suggestions as to
>> how I can handle this? Thanks for your suggestions. Charles Ranheim
>>
>> Dear Account Owner,
>>
>>
>>
>> This message is from Sbcglobal Internet SMS message center to all
>>
>> sbcgloba account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and
>>
>> e-mail account center.
>>
>>
>>
>> We are deleting all unused Sbcglobal account and account password that
>>
>> has been changed between 4 days back to create more space for new
>>
>> accounts.
>>
>>
>>
>> You are advice to verify and confirm your account details below to enable
>>
>> us upgrade our Sbcglobal Internet Service e.g Sbcglobal E-mail,
>>
>> Password,and Address etc.
>>
>>
>>
>> Anyone who fails to submite his or her own will automatically lost
>> his/her
>>
>> own Account.
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks for using Sbcglobal Internet SM
>>
>> To prevent your Account from closing you will have to update it below
>>
>> before three days from now!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Confirm Your Account Details
>>
>> ************************************************** ************
>>
>> Username:
>>
>> Password:
>>
>> Zip Code:
>>
>> ************************************************** ************
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> You will be sent a confirmation letter from Sbcglobal customer service
>>
>> after our upgrading,Thanks for your understanding.
>>
>>
>>
>> Customer Service Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or
>>
>> her own Sbcglobal account before five days of receiving this warning will
>>
>> lose his or her account permanently.
>>
>> THANKS
>>
>> MANAGEMENT
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
Patrick Palczewski
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud
SBCGlobal is owned by AT&T now, sorry about that. www.att.com.

"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
news:OO62$xdVKHA.4816@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I could not find a way to contact SBC Global, but I did report it to
> reportphishing@antiphishing.org and spam@uce.gov. In looking at the
> message detail, it looks like it may have come from overseas. I wish
> sbcglobal.net had an address available that I could have forwarded it to,
> but I had no luck trying to find one.
> Thanks for your input. Charles Ranheim
>
>
> "Patrick Palczewski" <psychiatrist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23zDb9KYVKHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Charles,
>>
>> It would be better to contact SBCGlobal directly (by going to their
>> website or calling them on the phone) and ask them about this letter to
>> verify its accuracy. Do NOT reply to the email you received!
>>
>> When emails contain requests for username/passwords, personal information
>> and are written with typographical errors and poor grammar, this is a
>> strong indicator that it's fraud. Another item to look for is if they
>> have any URL links in the email, if you hover you mouse over the link
>> (without clicking), at the bottom left of the window it will show you the
>> true link, and it won't be the website or company the mail claims to be
>> from. A third thing to look for is that the email is not properly
>> addressed to you (it shows a different email address in the To: field).
>>
>> Yeah, you received a fraudulent email, but the tips above help you to
>> catch others that will land in your inbox.
>>
>> Patrick P.
>> www.boydcomputersvcs.com
>>
>> "cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
>> news:u5xf97XVKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> I received an email solicitating information that looks like a fraud. I
>>> have not been able to find an email to forward this to in order to
>>> report it. Has anyone else received this mail? Do you have any
>>> suggestions as to how I can handle this? Thanks for your suggestions.
>>> Charles Ranheim
>>>
>>> Dear Account Owner,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> This message is from Sbcglobal Internet SMS message center to all
>>>
>>> sbcgloba account owners. We are currently upgrading our data base and
>>>
>>> e-mail account center.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> We are deleting all unused Sbcglobal account and account password that
>>>
>>> has been changed between 4 days back to create more space for new
>>>
>>> accounts.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> You are advice to verify and confirm your account details below to
>>> enable
>>>
>>> us upgrade our Sbcglobal Internet Service e.g Sbcglobal E-mail,
>>>
>>> Password,and Address etc.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Anyone who fails to submite his or her own will automatically lost
>>> his/her
>>>
>>> own Account.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks for using Sbcglobal Internet SM
>>>
>>> To prevent your Account from closing you will have to update it below
>>>
>>> before three days from now!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Confirm Your Account Details
>>>
>>> ************************************************** ************
>>>
>>> Username:
>>>
>>> Password:
>>>
>>> Zip Code:
>>>
>>> ************************************************** ************
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> You will be sent a confirmation letter from Sbcglobal customer service
>>>
>>> after our upgrading,Thanks for your understanding.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Customer Service Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or
>>>
>>> her own Sbcglobal account before five days of receiving this warning
>>> will
>>>
>>> lose his or her account permanently.
>>>
>>> THANKS
>>>
>>> MANAGEMENT
>>>
>>>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
N. Miller
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:33:06 -0700, Patrick Palczewski wrote:

> SBCGlobal is owned by AT&T now, sorry about that. www.att.com.


Actually, "SBCGlobal" (whatever that is; I knew them as "SBC") owns AT&T.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
N. Miller
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:34:41 -0400, cranheim wrote:

> I could not find a way to contact SBC Global, but I did report it to
> reportphishing@antiphishing.org and spam@uce.gov. In looking at the message
> detail, it looks like it may have come from overseas. I wish sbcglobal.net
> had an address available that I could have forwarded it to, but I had no
> luck trying to find one.
> Thanks for your input. Charles Ranheim


"Abuse at sbcglobal.net" should work, if you are still inclined. However,
they have already sent out a warning to their user base about that letter,
and it is actually what is known as a "phish". Ever since SBC put a block on
outbound port 25, spammers have found it hard to send spam through
compromised customer computers. The purpose of this "phish" is to obtain
user login credentials so that spammers can authenticate to the AT&T
(formerly SBC) SMTP message submission servers, in order to get their spam
out. This is, apparently a very effective "phish", because the AT&T servers
have been blocked by Comcast, Embarq, and Hotmail (among others) for spam.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
Patrick Palczewski
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Possible Fraud
Thanks for the correction, I usually have to go to att.com to find SBC stuff
for my customers so I thought it was the other way around.

"N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
news:sdnvjevvu1ep.dlg@msnews.aosake.net...
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:33:06 -0700, Patrick Palczewski wrote:
>
>> SBCGlobal is owned by AT&T now, sorry about that. www.att.com.

>
> Actually, "SBCGlobal" (whatever that is; I knew them as "SBC") owns AT&T.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Stop Fraud Steve Security News 0 07-07-2009 10:00
McAfee anti-fraud researcher charged with fraud Steve Security News 0 05-20-2008 10:40
McAfee anti-fraud researcher charged with fraud Steve Security News 0 05-20-2008 10:00
McAfee anti-fraud researcher charged with fraud Paul Security News 0 05-20-2008 02:20
Passport Fraud Paul Security News 0 01-08-2008 21:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:06.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120