Facebook Photo uploader and IE8

undisclosed

Facebook Photo uploader and IE8

When I click to upload photos, I get the prompt to install the Active X
control but before I can click on install, I get an error message like
"The instruction at "Ox..........." referenced memory at "........" The
memory could not be written.

I have listed FB as a trusted site and reduced the security sliders to
their lowest level but no luck.

Also I tried disabling all add-ons no luck again.

This problem is very frustrating and I really would like to be able to
download the uploader.

Does anyone have a solution to please? - I have Windows XP SP3 IE8
everything up-to-date.

Many thanks.

--
Ditsum
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Facebook Photo uploader and IE8

<undisclosed> wrote in message news:f2b9f62a843eb41debef2159a4b66b3c@nntp-gateway.com...

> When I click to upload photos, I get the prompt to install the Active X
> control but before I can click on install, I get an error message like
> "The instruction at "Ox..........." referenced memory at "........" The
> memory could not be written.

Capture that whole Error Signature. E.g. doubleclick on a word
and press Ctrl-c.

Unfortunately unless that shows a crash occurring in a third-party module
it won't be a really good clue. In order to get a better one you need to
see the Stack Back Trace for the crashing thread. DrWtsn32.log used
to give us that. You should check in case it still does. Unfortunately
somehow it seems not to be used by many apps any more.

Otherwise you might be able to get some clues from either ProcExp
or ProcMon. They both capture Stack information from threads
but it's not as easy IMO to identify exactly how those relate to a crash.
At the very least you would get a better idea of which other modules
were involved with the crash and again seeing a third-party module
in such a list should raise a red flag as it being a likely culprit.

This emphasis on third-party interference is why the usual suggestion is
to run without add-ons or use the Manage Add-ons tool to eliminate such
potential causes when trying to recreate the problem scenario under more
controlled conditions.

> I have listed FB as a trusted site and reduced the security sliders to
> their lowest level but no luck.
>
> Also I tried disabling all add-ons no luck again.

Explain? You can't run in No Add-ons mode and still be able to use your
FB extension. If you mean that you have used the Manage Add-ons tool
to set all loaded add-ons to disabled that might still allow one which was
already known but not yet loaded (e.g only in the All Add-ons list) to become
active and cause the suspected interference.

Also, as Rob has already pointed out to you in the other discussions
there are some third-party programs which interfere just as much
as normal extensions may and which can not be controlled by the
Manage Add-ons tool. Therefore for those cases the user has to do
what is known as clean-boot troubleshooting and systematically eliminate
*all* possible extraneous causes of interference (such as the cited
Google software.)

The only other possibility for user control is the old standby:

[uncheck] Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
( in Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)

However, I suspect that there are probably programs which
can do what they want and ignore that setting too.
Also, I'm not sure if you would even be able to start your
ActiveX download in that state. ; }

> This problem is very frustrating and I really would like to be able to
> download the uploader.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to please? - I have Windows XP SP3 IE8
> everything up-to-date.

How is the thing packaged? Could you download it on another
machine, then transfer it (sneakernet) to yours and install it
offline?

> Many thanks.
>

> --
> Ditsum

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

undisclosed

Re: Facebook Photo uploader and IE8

Hi,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply - much appreciated.

Interestingly I have a small laptop which in all ways mirrors the main
PC ie Windows XP SP3 IE8 Avast, Malwarebytes etc,etc and I had no
trouble downloading the uploader from FB to the laptop.

You mentioned "sneakernet" - could you kindly indicate whether this is
a reasonably simple procedure or one for advanced users only which I
hasten to add that I am not!

Regards,

Jeremy Heath

--