Windows 7 IE 8 problems

frankie

Windows 7 IE 8 problems
Wondering if anyone can help with a couple of minor problems.

With IE7 you could stretch a page to re-size, close it, and when
re-opening, the full page size would stay. This doesn't seem to happen
with IE8.

A number of web pages I use frequently fail to display. Just see
the words 'done' at bottom of page (LH corner). There doesn't
seem to be a 'compatibility' view on this web page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

frankie
Don Varnau

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems
Hi,
Window size:
Open a webpage. Stretch it out to fullsize. Don't use maximize.
Choose any link on that webpage and right-click> open in a new window.
Stretch that second window out to the desired size- don't use maximize.
Close the first IE window. Then close that second resized window.

Additional information at:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/ietips.htm >>> Opening
Internet Explorer Full Size
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm >>> Tip #6
- - -
Blank pages:
1. Clear the Temporary Internet Files

2. If you trust the site, place the site in Trusted Sites. Internet Options>
Security> Trusted Sites> Uncheck "Require server verification" and enter the
site as (for example) *.amazon.com

3. Do the troublesome sites all have Flash content?

4. . Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> verify that "Automatically
recover from page layout errors..." is checked

5. Does Refresh (F5) load the page?

6. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.

For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

7. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"frankie" <heatonNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Wondering if anyone can help with a couple of minor problems.
>
> With IE7 you could stretch a page to re-size, close it, and when
> re-opening, the full page size would stay. This doesn't seem to happen
> with IE8.
>
> A number of web pages I use frequently fail to display. Just see
> the words 'done' at bottom of page (LH corner). There doesn't
> seem to be a 'compatibility' view on this web page.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you
>

> frankie

frankie

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems
Thanks very much for replying so promptly.

Your advice regarding stretching page seems to have worked,
though not in every instance. Much better than it was though.
With IE7 it was so easy to do, not sure why it should be more
time-consuming with IE8.

Regarding the blank page - still can't view the page I wanted.
Tried son's PC (who installed new Windows 7 with IE8 when
I did). Page cannot be viewed on his PC either! I am going to
try on OH's old laptop (running XP) and see whether page is
still viewable.

Have checked out all the valuable information you posted for
which I'm extremely grateful.

Kind regards and thank you so much

Frankie

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems
1. Close all but one (1) IE window.

2. Resize that window but do NOT maximize it.

3. Close the window.

The resized window MUST be the last window closed for its size to be
remembered.

Or just install http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/
www.banthecheck.com

frankie wrote:
> Wondering if anyone can help with a couple of minor problems.
>
> With IE7 you could stretch a page to re-size, close it, and when
> re-opening, the full page size would stay. This doesn't seem to happen
> with IE8.
>
> A number of web pages I use frequently fail to display. Just see
> the words 'done' at bottom of page (LH corner). There doesn't
> seem to be a 'compatibility' view on this web page.

frankie

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems
Thanks for replying PA Bear.
Your instructions work for IE7 but
don't seem to when using IE8.

Thanks though,

Frankie

> 1. Close all but one (1) IE window.
>
> 2. Resize that window but do NOT maximize it.
>
> 3. Close the window.
>
> The resized window MUST be the last window closed for its size to be
> remembered.
>
> Or just install http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> frankie wrote:
>> Wondering if anyone can help with a couple of minor problems.
>>
>> With IE7 you could stretch a page to re-size, close it, and when
>> re-opening, the full page size would stay. This doesn't seem to happen
>> with IE8.
>>
>> A number of web pages I use frequently fail to display. Just see
>> the words 'done' at bottom of page (LH corner). There doesn't
>> seem to be a 'compatibility' view on this web page.

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems
Well, the instrux might not be working in IE8 on your Win7 computer but they
certainly work in IE8 on a WinXP or Vista computer. (I cannot tell you if
IEMaximizer is supported in Win7 but it certainly works in WinXP and Vista.)

Did you upgrade to Win7 or is it a brand-new computer that came with Win7
preinstalled?

What third-party firewall (if any)? If you upgraded to Win7, were any of
these applications running in the background when you installed Win7?

machine-in-question (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when
you bought it)?

frankie wrote:
> Thanks for replying PA Bear.
> Your instructions work for IE7 but
> don't seem to when using IE8.
>
>> 1. Close all but one (1) IE window.
>>
>> 2. Resize that window but do NOT maximize it.
>>
>> 3. Close the window.
>>
>> The resized window MUST be the last window closed for its size to be
>> remembered.
>>
>> Or just install http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> frankie wrote:
>>> Wondering if anyone can help with a couple of minor problems.
>>>
>>> With IE7 you could stretch a page to re-size, close it, and when
>>> re-opening, the full page size would stay. This doesn't seem to happen
>>> with IE8.
>>>
>>> A number of web pages I use frequently fail to display. Just see
>>> the words 'done' at bottom of page (LH corner). There doesn't
>>> seem to be a 'compatibility' view on this web page.

frankie

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems
Hello, thanks very much for replying.

I'll answer your questions.

My PC is 18 months old and last week I did a clean install
of Win 7.

My anti-virus is AVG (free download). I only use Defender and
my broadband provider (O2) have some security for the router.
Not sure of exact details.

When initially purchasing Sony laptop, Norton was installed but
I uninstalled it and downloaded AVG. The web page worked
perfectly using Vista and IE7.

Don't know whether it helps, but I still need the drivers to make Fn
keys and Volume button work. There is nothing at Sony support
and Sony's response to my email wasn't very helpful.

However, I should imagine this would be a totally separate issue
and would have no effect on a webpage displaying.

Thanks again

Frankie

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems
You formatted the HDD before installing Win7, yes?

frankie wrote:
> Hello, thanks very much for replying.
>
> I'll answer your questions.
>
> My PC is 18 months old and last week I did a clean install
> of Win 7.
>
> My anti-virus is AVG (free download). I only use Defender and
> my broadband provider (O2) have some security for the router.
> Not sure of exact details.
>
> When initially purchasing Sony laptop, Norton was installed but
> I uninstalled it and downloaded AVG. The web page worked
> perfectly using Vista and IE7.
>
> Don't know whether it helps, but I still need the drivers to make Fn
> keys and Volume button work. There is nothing at Sony support
> and Sony's response to my email wasn't very helpful.
>
> However, I should imagine this would be a totally separate issue
> and would have no effect on a webpage displaying.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Frankie

frankie

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems

> You formatted the HDD before installing Win7, yes?

I don't think I did! I just did a clean install from
the disc.

Frankie

Re: Windows 7 IE 8 problems
frankie wrote:
>> You formatted the HDD before installing Win7, yes?

> I don't think I did! I just did a clean install from
> the disc.

Then that's the cause of your problem.