why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?

loganadam

why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
starting friday the 23rd, ive been getting a browser popping up with bing.com
on it, and it has in the search type box "key is empty", im on ie6, this is
very annoying. how do i stop this? has anyone encountered this issue? ive
done virus scans, and i try to do adaware scans but every time (and ive
uninstalled and reinstalled adaware) it crashes to a blue screen that says
something like "irql not less or equal blah blah blah"

i hate bing, i didnt ask for it, i dont want. ive tried editing my host file
to stop it, and all that did was make it look like google was powering bing
or something, bing still comes up, ive tried going into internet options in
the securities tab, and that didnt help either,

MICROSOFT, GET YOUR CRAP OFF MY SYSTEM!!! IF I WANTED BING I WOULD GO THERE
MYSELF!!!
i wonder if a lawyer would do any good, maybe a class action since this is
basically a company hijacking our browsers.
Peter Foldes

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
loganadam

(1) Change to Firefox or similar
(2)Learn to use it and\or live with it
(3) Fell better after venting and after a bad nights of sleep

--
Peter

"loganadam" <loganadam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> starting friday the 23rd, ive been getting a browser popping up with bing.com
> on it, and it has in the search type box "key is empty", im on ie6, this is
> very annoying. how do i stop this? has anyone encountered this issue? ive
> done virus scans, and i try to do adaware scans but every time (and ive
> uninstalled and reinstalled adaware) it crashes to a blue screen that says
> something like "irql not less or equal blah blah blah"
>
> i hate bing, i didnt ask for it, i dont want. ive tried editing my host file
> to stop it, and all that did was make it look like google was powering bing
> or something, bing still comes up, ive tried going into internet options in
> the securities tab, and that didnt help either,
>
> MICROSOFT, GET YOUR CRAP OFF MY SYSTEM!!! IF I WANTED BING I WOULD GO THERE
> MYSELF!!!
> i wonder if a lawyer would do any good, maybe a class action since this is
> basically a company hijacking our browsers.

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
full windows version? anti-virus installed & subscription current?

ps: you're seeing the effects of a HIJACKWARE INFECTION and microsoft had
nothing to do with it.

loganadam wrote:
> starting friday the 23rd, ive been getting a browser popping up with
> bing.com on it, and it has in the search type box "key is empty", im on
> ie6, this is very annoying. how do i stop this? has anyone encountered
> this
> issue? ive done virus scans, and i try to do adaware scans but every time
> (and ive uninstalled and reinstalled adaware) it crashes to a blue screen
> that says something like "irql not less or equal blah blah blah"
>
> i hate bing, i didnt ask for it, i dont want. ive tried editing my host
> file
> to stop it, and all that did was make it look like google was powering
> bing
> or something, bing still comes up, ive tried going into internet options
> in
> the securities tab, and that didnt help either,
>
> MICROSOFT, GET YOUR CRAP OFF MY SYSTEM!!! IF I WANTED BING I WOULD GO
> THERE
> MYSELF!!!
> i wonder if a lawyer would do any good, maybe a class action since this is
> basically a company hijacking our browsers.

G. R. Woodring

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
First of all, Bing is not on your system. It is a website that your browser is
being directed to visit. In this case, obviously, it is being directed by some
malware hijack. It isn't really a Bing issue as another poster has described a
similar hijack of Google. What did you install on Friday the 23rd? What web
sites did you visit on Friday 23rd? *Do Not post a clickable URL here*

Try to uninstall anything you installed on the 23rd, especially if you don't
remember installing it. (You may need to scour the registry and files to
manually delete any remnants.) Try a system restore point created before Friday
the 23rd.

You may need to run an anti-malware app from a CD or flash drive. The hijacker
seems to have anticipated AdAware (failure could also be a coincidence).

You should provide a full description of the problem, your OS and browser
version, any add-ons and recent changes. Also when you reach a solution, post
back here so others can gain from your experience.

Over half of your post was a rant against Microsoft. The posters here are other
users who (presumably) like IE and want to help other users get the most out of
it. Blaming Microsoft without even identifying the problem will just get you
dismissed as a troll and you may lose the insight of a valuable contributor.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 10/24/2009 8:48 AM, Author: loganadam Wrote:
> starting friday the 23rd, ive been getting a browser popping up with bing.com
> on it, and it has in the search type box "key is empty", im on ie6, this is
> very annoying. how do i stop this? has anyone encountered this issue? ive
> done virus scans, and i try to do adaware scans but every time (and ive
> uninstalled and reinstalled adaware) it crashes to a blue screen that says
> something like "irql not less or equal blah blah blah"

< Snipped Rant >
loganadam

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
i just remembered something, before i had this problem, i had some files show
up on my system, right after one of those things that claims to be an
antivirus scanner and claims your infected(i tried to kill it when it came
up, but it was persistant, it even blocked my task manager, claiming it was
infected and couldnt let it up), i think it was either dsidemarketing.com or
wbavv.com,

i edited the hosts file so they cant come back up. but i guess they
deposited their payload already, if they are what caused this, about that
same time i had the file ccu.exe, i think its an exe, it had the description
"windows terminal services balloon" and claims to be published by microsoft,
yet the file was too new(the date was a red flag to me).

im wondering if this helps anyone that has a similar issue.
"G. R. Woodring" wrote:

> First of all, Bing is not on your system. It is a website that your browser is
> being directed to visit. In this case, obviously, it is being directed by some
> malware hijack. It isn't really a Bing issue as another poster has described a
> similar hijack of Google. What did you install on Friday the 23rd? What web
> sites did you visit on Friday 23rd? *Do Not post a clickable URL here*
>
> Try to uninstall anything you installed on the 23rd, especially if you don't
> remember installing it. (You may need to scour the registry and files to
> manually delete any remnants.) Try a system restore point created before Friday
> the 23rd.
>
> You may need to run an anti-malware app from a CD or flash drive. The hijacker
> seems to have anticipated AdAware (failure could also be a coincidence).
>
> You should provide a full description of the problem, your OS and browser
> version, any add-ons and recent changes. Also when you reach a solution, post
> back here so others can gain from your experience.
>
> Over half of your post was a rant against Microsoft. The posters here are other
> users who (presumably) like IE and want to help other users get the most out of
> it. Blaming Microsoft without even identifying the problem will just get you
> dismissed as a troll and you may lose the insight of a valuable contributor.
>
> --
> G. R. Woodring
>
> Date: 10/24/2009 8:48 AM, Author: loganadam Wrote:
> > starting friday the 23rd, ive been getting a browser popping up with bing.com
> > on it, and it has in the search type box "key is empty", im on ie6, this is
> > very annoying. how do i stop this? has anyone encountered this issue? ive
> > done virus scans, and i try to do adaware scans but every time (and ive
> > uninstalled and reinstalled adaware) it crashes to a blue screen that says
> > something like "irql not less or equal blah blah blah"
> >

> < Snipped Rant >
> .

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
You've still got a Trojan FakeAlert infection on your hands!

loganadam wrote:
> [...]
>> are
>> other users who (presumably) like IE and want to help other users get the
>> most out of it. Blaming Microsoft without even identifying the problem
>> will just get you dismissed as a troll and you may lose the insight of a
>> valuable contributor.
>>
>> --
>> G. R. Woodring
>>
>> Date: 10/24/2009 8:48 AM, Author: loganadam Wrote:
>>> starting friday the 23rd, ive been getting a browser popping up with
>>> bing.com on it, and it has in the search type box "key is empty", im on
>>> ie6, this is very annoying. how do i stop this? has anyone encountered
>>> this issue? ive done virus scans, and i try to do adaware scans but
>>> every
>>> time (and ive uninstalled and reinstalled adaware) it crashes to a blue
>>> screen that says something like "irql not less or equal blah blah blah"

loganadam

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
it seems i have at least a few trojans, but whenever i try to scan for them,
the pc crashes to the old B.S.D, blue screen of death, got any ideas how i
can scan for the source of these things without my system crashing? ive found
fraud.sysguard, trojan.bho, trojan.adon, im guessing there are others

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You've still got a Trojan FakeAlert infection on your hands!
>
> loganadam wrote:
> > i just remembered something, before i had this problem, i had some files
> > show up on my system, right after one of those things that claims to be an
> > antivirus scanner and claims your infected(i tried to kill it when it came
> > up, but it was persistant, it even blocked my task manager, claiming it
> > was
> > infected and couldnt let it up), i think it was either dsidemarketing.com
> > or
> > wbavv.com,
> >
> > i edited the hosts file so they cant come back up. but i guess they
> > deposited their payload already, if they are what caused this, about that
> > same time i had the file ccu.exe, i think its an exe, it had the
> > description
> > "windows terminal services balloon" and claims to be published by
> > microsoft,
> > yet the file was too new(the date was a red flag to me).
> >
> > im wondering if this helps anyone that has a similar issue.
> >
> > "G. R. Woodring" wrote:
> >> First of all, Bing is not on your system. It is a website that your
> >> browser is being directed to visit. In this case, obviously, it is being
> >> directed by some malware hijack. It isn't really a Bing issue as another
> >> poster has described a similar hijack of Google. What did you install on
> >> Friday the 23rd? What web sites did you visit on Friday 23rd? *Do Not
> >> post a clickable URL here*
> >>
> >> Try to uninstall anything you installed on the 23rd, especially if you
> >> don't remember installing it. (You may need to scour the registry and
> >> files to manually delete any remnants.) Try a system restore point
> >> created before Friday the 23rd.
> >>
> >> You may need to run an anti-malware app from a CD or flash drive. The
> >> hijacker seems to have anticipated AdAware (failure could also be a
> >> coincidence).
> >>
> >> You should provide a full description of the problem, your OS and browser
> >> version, any add-ons and recent changes. Also when you reach a solution,
> >> post back here so others can gain from your experience.
> >>
> >> Over half of your post was a rant against Microsoft. The posters here
> >> are
> >> other users who (presumably) like IE and want to help other users get the
> >> most out of it. Blaming Microsoft without even identifying the problem
> >> will just get you dismissed as a troll and you may lose the insight of a
> >> valuable contributor.
> >>
> >> --
> >> G. R. Woodring

> >> < Snipped Rant >
> >> .

> .

Patrick Palczewski

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
Did you try a boot-time scan? Avast has this capability and also these other
ones (F-Prot, Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avira). For these last four listed,
download the ISO image and burn the image to a CD, then boot from the CD to
scan your computer.

Patrick P.
www.boydcomputersvcs.com

> it seems i have at least a few trojans, but whenever i try to scan for
> them,
> the pc crashes to the old B.S.D, blue screen of death, got any ideas how i
> can scan for the source of these things without my system crashing? ive
> found
> fraud.sysguard, trojan.bho, trojan.adon, im guessing there are others

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
Yes, FakeAlert usually brings several "friends" along for the ride (e.g.,
Vundo; SDBot- and/or SBot-variants).

If you need additional assistance, please reply to my first post in this
thread and answer the questions I asked.

loganadam wrote:
> it seems i have at least a few trojans, but whenever i try to scan for
> them,
> the pc crashes to the old B.S.D, blue screen of death, got any ideas how i
> can scan for the source of these things without my system crashing? ive
> found fraud.sysguard, trojan.bho, trojan.adon, im guessing there are
> others
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> You've still got a Trojan FakeAlert infection on your hands!
>>
>> loganadam wrote:
>>> i just remembered something, before i had this problem, i had some files
>>> show up on my system, right after one of those things that claims to be
>>> an
>>> antivirus scanner and claims your infected(i tried to kill it when it
>>> came
>>> up, but it was persistant, it even blocked my task manager, claiming it
>>> was
>>> infected and couldnt let it up), i think it was either
>>> dsidemarketing.com
>>> or
>>> wbavv.com,
>>>
>>> i edited the hosts file so they cant come back up. but i guess they
>>> deposited their payload already, if they are what caused this, about
>>> that
>>> same time i had the file ccu.exe, i think its an exe, it had the
>>> description
>>> "windows terminal services balloon" and claims to be published by
>>> microsoft,
>>> yet the file was too new(the date was a red flag to me).
>>>
>>> im wondering if this helps anyone that has a similar issue.

>> .

loganadam

Re: why am i seeing a full browser window pop up with bing in it?
i waited a few days to make sure but i think the trojan is gone now, shortly
after my last message here my buddy in georgia told me to try something
called combofix,i dont know if giving a link here is allowed so ill wait and
see if im asked for it just to play it safe, but i think it what you called a
bootscan, it found a trojan hiding in my atapi.sys file, and cleaned it out,
no more bing coming up, no more iehelper.dll, i still sometimes get a page
that has an ad that wants to claim to scan my system telling me there is an
infection but those easy to deal with.