Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2009
hapless developer
 

Posts: n/a
bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode
The custom Microsoft Gradient filter does not display as expected in strict
IE8 mode when the style includes a background color, using Internet Explorer
8.0.6001.18702 on Windows XP SP3. The gradient works in IE7 mode, or if the
element does not have a background color, or if the element is a button.

See the extended example below.

<html>
<head>
<title>Gradient test in IE</title>
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8">
<style type='text/css'>
..grad
{
color:yellow;
filterrogidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient
(GradientType=0,StartColorStr='white',EndColorstr= 'blue');
background-color:green;
}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<h1>Gradient test</h1>
This is a test for a bug in Internet Explorer 8.
We expect to see a blue gradient instead of a green block in the table.
This works if you change IE=8 to IE=7 for X-UA-Compatible
*or* remove the background-color from the stylesheet.
(You must also allow "active content".)
<table class="grad" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%" border="0">
<tr height="55"><td>Hello, world!</td></tr>
</table>
Note that buttons have gradient in IE8 mode even with a background color:<br>
<input type="submit" value="Hello, world!" class="grad">
</body> </html>


----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rs-in-ie8.aspx



"hapless developer" <hapless developer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B6620D3D-B528-4B4F-B8EC-9DA8CA0B6E7A@microsoft.com...
> The custom Microsoft Gradient filter does not display as expected in
> strict
> IE8 mode when the style includes a background color, using Internet
> Explorer
> 8.0.6001.18702 on Windows XP SP3. The gradient works in IE7 mode, or if
> the
> element does not have a background color, or if the element is a button.
>
> See the extended example below.
>
> <html>
> <head>
> <title>Gradient test in IE</title>
> <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8">
> <style type='text/css'>
> .grad
> {
> color:yellow;
> filterrogidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient
> (GradientType=0,StartColorStr='white',EndColorstr= 'blue');
> background-color:green;
> }
> </style>
> </head>
>
> <body>
> <h1>Gradient test</h1>
> This is a test for a bug in Internet Explorer 8.
> We expect to see a blue gradient instead of a green block in the table.
> This works if you change IE=8 to IE=7 for X-UA-Compatible
> *or* remove the background-color from the stylesheet.
> (You must also allow "active content".)
> <table class="grad" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%"
> border="0">
> <tr height="55"><td>Hello, world!</td></tr>
> </table>
> Note that buttons have gradient in IE8 mode even with a background
> color:<br>
> <input type="submit" value="Hello, world!" class="grad">
> </body> </html>
>
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
> this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode
-ms-filter:"progidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(op acity=50)";

filterrogidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opa city=50);

"rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:70B1A30C-513A-46AF-BE2D-3562F0EDCD17@microsoft.com...
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rs-in-ie8.aspx
>
>
>
> "hapless developer" <hapless developer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:B6620D3D-B528-4B4F-B8EC-9DA8CA0B6E7A@microsoft.com...
>> The custom Microsoft Gradient filter does not display as expected in
>> strict
>> IE8 mode when the style includes a background color, using Internet
>> Explorer
>> 8.0.6001.18702 on Windows XP SP3. The gradient works in IE7 mode, or if
>> the
>> element does not have a background color, or if the element is a button.
>>
>> See the extended example below.
>>
>> <html>
>> <head>
>> <title>Gradient test in IE</title>
>> <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8">
>> <style type='text/css'>
>> .grad
>> {
>> color:yellow;
>> filterrogidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient
>> (GradientType=0,StartColorStr='white',EndColorstr= 'blue');
>> background-color:green;
>> }
>> </style>
>> </head>
>>
>> <body>
>> <h1>Gradient test</h1>
>> This is a test for a bug in Internet Explorer 8.
>> We expect to see a blue gradient instead of a green block in the table.
>> This works if you change IE=8 to IE=7 for X-UA-Compatible
>> *or* remove the background-color from the stylesheet.
>> (You must also allow "active content".)
>> <table class="grad" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%"
>> border="0">
>> <tr height="55"><td>Hello, world!</td></tr>
>> </table>
>> Note that buttons have gradient in IE8 mode even with a background
>> color:<br>
>> <input type="submit" value="Hello, world!" class="grad">
>> </body> </html>
>>
>>
>> ----------------
>> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> "I
>> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> this
>> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>> then
>> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
hapless developer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode
Rob,

Thanks for pointers -- it was interesting to read about the official
ms-filter syntax for IE8. However, it doesn't solve my problem.

I still think this is a rendering bug in IE8:
1. the button *does* get the gradient, so the style clearly parses OK.
2. changing my example to the blessed syntax
-ms-filter:
"progidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(Gradie ntType='0',StartColorStr='white',EndColorstr='blue ')";
has no effect on the outcome. I think that's because IE8
accepts the old format as "close enough".

So, does anyone know a workaround? Or is there any more direct way to
report this bug to Microsoft? From what I could tell, this newsgroup
is the approved channel, but I still don't quite believe it.

Thanks!

"rob^_^" wrote:

> -ms-filter:"progidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(op acity=50)";
>
> filterrogidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opa city=50);
>
> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:70B1A30C-513A-46AF-BE2D-3562F0EDCD17@microsoft.com...
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rs-in-ie8.aspx


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode
Hi,

You include both syntaxes. If you are pedantic, you also include the syntax
for the other browsers.

style="display:block ; background-color:Red; color:White;
text-align:center;z-index:1;filter:alpha(opacity=00);-ms-filter:
'Alpha(Opacity=00)';opacity: 0.00;-moz-opacity: 0.00;filter:
alpha(opacity=00);-khtml-opacity: 0.00 ;clear:both"

Regards.

"hapless developer" <haplessdeveloper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0ADC78ED-1E52-4492-BD29-71CA57507AB5@microsoft.com...
> Rob,
>
> Thanks for pointers -- it was interesting to read about the official
> ms-filter syntax for IE8. However, it doesn't solve my problem.
>
> I still think this is a rendering bug in IE8:
> 1. the button *does* get the gradient, so the style clearly parses OK.
> 2. changing my example to the blessed syntax
> -ms-filter:
> "progidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(Gradie ntType='0',StartColorStr='white',EndColorstr='blue ')";
> has no effect on the outcome. I think that's because IE8
> accepts the old format as "close enough".
>
> So, does anyone know a workaround? Or is there any more direct way to
> report this bug to Microsoft? From what I could tell, this newsgroup
> is the approved channel, but I still don't quite believe it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> -ms-filter:"progidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(op acity=50)";
>>
>> filterrogidXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(opa city=50);
>>
>> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:70B1A30C-513A-46AF-BE2D-3562F0EDCD17@microsoft.com...
>> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rs-in-ie8.aspx

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009
hapless developer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode
Right, I tried that, and it had no effect.

I still get a button with a pretty gradient, and a plain green background in
the table. Even though they're both supposedly displaying the same style.

If it was really a parsing issue as you suggest, shouldn't the gradient fail
to appear everywhere?

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You include both syntaxes. If you are pedantic, you also include the syntax
> for the other browsers.
>
> style="display:block ; background-color:Red; color:White;
> text-align:center;z-index:1;filter:alpha(opacity=00);-ms-filter:
> 'Alpha(Opacity=00)';opacity: 0.00;-moz-opacity: 0.00;filter:
> alpha(opacity=00);-khtml-opacity: 0.00 ;clear:both"
>
> Regards.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2009
rob^_^
 

Posts: n/a
Re: bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode
I don't know. I am not looking over your shoulder. You are the one holding
the keyboard.

Is you page error free otherwise? Do you have the IE8 compatibility view
error handling switched off?

Regards.

"hapless developer" <haplessdeveloper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5850099D-FD4B-4B58-AA20-5BBCE4CD0575@microsoft.com...
> Right, I tried that, and it had no effect.
>
> I still get a button with a pretty gradient, and a plain green background
> in
> the table. Even though they're both supposedly displaying the same style.
>
> If it was really a parsing issue as you suggest, shouldn't the gradient
> fail
> to appear everywhere?
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You include both syntaxes. If you are pedantic, you also include the
>> syntax
>> for the other browsers.
>>
>> style="display:block ; background-color:Red; color:White;
>> text-align:center;z-index:1;filter:alpha(opacity=00);-ms-filter:
>> 'Alpha(Opacity=00)';opacity: 0.00;-moz-opacity: 0.00;filter:
>> alpha(opacity=00);-khtml-opacity: 0.00 ;clear:both"
>>
>> Regards.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2009
hapless developer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: bug - MS gradient fails in IE8 strict mode
Feel free to try the HTML case that I included with my original post -- it's
one way to "look over my shoulder" from wherever you are.

I think the page is otherwise error-free. I'm not sure what you mean my
"IE8 compatibility view error handling", but you can see in the original HTML
that I've explicitly told IE to read the page in IE8 "strict" mode.

The rendering inconsistency goes away in IE7 mode, but that does me little
good. I based my example case on a much more complicated page on which I
also have outlining, a feature that IE8 seems to only support in "strict"
mode. Can't tell if that's a different bug or Intended Behavior, but I've
been assuming the latter.

Thanks for your continued help and attention. Out of curiosity, is there
any more direct way of reporting a bug to Microsoft or is this as good as it
gets?

"rob^_^" wrote:

> I don't know. I am not looking over your shoulder. You are the one holding
> the keyboard.
>
> Is you page error free otherwise? Do you have the IE8 compatibility view
> error handling switched off?
>
> Regards.
>
> "hapless developer" <haplessdeveloper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:5850099D-FD4B-4B58-AA20-5BBCE4CD0575@microsoft.com...
> > Right, I tried that, and it had no effect.
> >
> > I still get a button with a pretty gradient, and a plain green background
> > in
> > the table. Even though they're both supposedly displaying the same style.
> >
> > If it was really a parsing issue as you suggest, shouldn't the gradient
> > fail to appear everywhere?


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE7 Strict mode AxtiveX control arrow keys no longer work. pbourget microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 03-19-2009 00:08
Strict mode and ActiveX control key mapping changed pbourget microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 0 03-19-2009 00:00
Sleep Mode fails perry microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 1 12-20-2007 22:28
VISTA64 fails to enter sleep mode Damorsoft microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 2 06-25-2007 21:38
Gradient on Gadget Bar Thom Little microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-15-2007 20:44




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120