Icon on URL line

Kathy T in MI

Icon on URL line
Using IE8. Recently I was on Realtor.com and then switched back to my home
page which is msnbc.com. The logo/icon from Realtor.com which is a big
white capital R on a blue background is now showing up on the msnbc.com's
url in the address line replacing the peacock logo. I've cleaned out
history and temp internet files but it still comes back. It even appears in
front of the link under the Home button. I am directed to the correct msnbc
site, but the realtor icon shows up. Nothing else seems to be affected but
it's a mystery why it is happening. Any ideas to fix this?
KT in MI

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Icon on URL line

"Kathy T in MI" <kathytabb@chartermi.net> wrote in message news:On%23dUP$UKHA.5368@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Using IE8. Recently I was on Realtor.com and then switched back to my home
> page which is msnbc.com. The logo/icon from Realtor.com which is a big
> white capital R on a blue background is now showing up on the msnbc.com's
> url in the address line replacing the peacock logo. I've cleaned out
> history and temp internet files but it still comes back. It even appears in
> front of the link under the Home button. I am directed to the correct msnbc
> site, but the realtor icon shows up. Nothing else seems to be affected but
> it's a mystery why it is happening. Any ideas to fix this?

Try opening each favicon.ico file in separate windows.
Press Ctrl-F5 if necessary to get the right icon.

Also, I would try setting cache-checking to Every visit...
instead of the default Automatically (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,E).

> KT in MI

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Don Varnau

Re: Icon on URL line
Hi,
When you cleared the Temporary Internet Files and History, was "Preserve
favorites website data" checked? If it is/was, uncheck it and clear TIF and
History again.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Kathy T in MI" <kathytabb@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> Using IE8. Recently I was on Realtor.com and then switched back to my

home
> page which is msnbc.com. The logo/icon from Realtor.com which is a big
> white capital R on a blue background is now showing up on the msnbc.com's
> url in the address line replacing the peacock logo. I've cleaned out
> history and temp internet files but it still comes back. It even appears

in
> front of the link under the Home button. I am directed to the correct

msnbc
> site, but the realtor icon shows up. Nothing else seems to be affected

but
> it's a mystery why it is happening. Any ideas to fix this?
> KT in MI

Kathy T in MI

Re: Icon on URL line
>> Using IE8. Recently I was on Realtor.com and then switched back to my
>> home
>> page which is msnbc.com. The logo/icon from Realtor.com which is a big
>> white capital R on a blue background is now showing up on the
>> msnbc.com's
>> url in the address line replacing the peacock logo. I've cleaned out
>> history and temp internet files but it still comes back. It even appears
>> in
>> front of the link under the Home button. I am directed to the correct
>> msnbc
>> site, but the realtor icon shows up. Nothing else seems to be affected
>> but
>> it's a mystery why it is happening. Any ideas to fix this?

> Try opening each favicon.ico file in separate windows.
> Press Ctrl-F5 if necessary to get the right icon.
>
> Also, I would try setting cache-checking to Every visit...
> instead of the default Automatically (Alt-T,O,Alt-S,E).
>

> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Thanks for the help Robert. This morning when I opened IE, the correct icon
now appears again. Strange. Don't know why. But I'm saving your response
in case it happens again.
Kathy