IE 8 not going to correct page

gator

IE 8 not going to correct page
Form some reason now, when I do a search and click a link....www.google.com
shows up in the address bar briefly and then I get forwarded to some
unrelated website. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?
Don Varnau

Re: IE 8 not going to correct page
Hi,
You have malware installed. Work through these steps:
1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free download
for XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.

3. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

4. Install and run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware from
http://www.superantispyware.com/

5. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.

Aumha:
http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

SpywareHammer:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
Read:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
then
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0

Bleeping Computer:
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Form some reason now, when I do a search and click a

link....www.google.com
> shows up in the address bar briefly and then I get forwarded to some
> unrelated website. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 not going to correct page
Could your computer be infected with adware?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

gator wrote:
> Form some reason now, when I do a search and click a link....www.google.com
> shows up in the address bar briefly and then I get forwarded to some
> unrelated website. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 8 not going to correct page
"gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFF37C27-7E59-4588-AF5D-F5BDD1778AD0@microsoft.com...
> Form some reason now, when I do a search and click a link....www.google.com
> shows up in the address bar briefly and then I get forwarded to some
> unrelated website. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

Is it relevant to the search? Then perhaps you have set Google's
"I'm feeling lucky" to be your search template?

BTW details matter. "do a search and click a link" sounds rather vague
so we're just guessing at what you're really doing.

---

Lurker

> Hi,
> You have malware installed. Work through these steps:
> 1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free download
> for XP:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx
>
> 2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
> This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.
>
> 3. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
>
> 4. Install and run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware from
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> 5. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove all
> malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.
>
> Aumha:
> http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>
> SpywareHammer:
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
> Read:
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
> then
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0
>
> Bleeping Computer:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Form some reason now, when I do a search and click a

> link....www.google.com
>> shows up in the address bar briefly and then I get forwarded to some

> unrelated website. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

I have a similar problem in that ie 8 is directed to unrelated sights. All
my anti-malware/antivirus programs have been disabled with the exception of
CA Antivirus which shows nothing. When I try to start a malware program I
get a message "Windows cannot access the specific device,path,or file. You
may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". I have checked
the properties of the various programs and they are set to be used by
anyone. Windows Defender is dissabled as is Malwarebytes,SuperAnti-spyware,
hiJack This and Glary Utilities. I can run an online scan as I keep getting
redirected. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Tom Willett

Re: IE 8 not going to correct page
You are severely infected with malware.

"Lurker" <Lurker@home.com> wrote in message
:
: "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
: news:esdan42UKHA.5208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: > Hi,
: > You have malware installed. Work through these steps:
: > 1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free
download
: > for XP:
: >
: > http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
[...]
: > -
: > Hope this helps,
: > Don
: > [MS MVP- IE]
: >
[...]

The malware removal experts at the forums I listed may be able to help with
techniques like renaming programs and running programs in safe mode. You,
yourself, may be able to run some of the malware removal programs in safe
mode.

If you have not *always* had up-to-date security programs installed (CA or
others) you probably have multiple, difficult to remove, infections and the
best course of action would be to save your data (documents, images, music,
etc) and do a clean install of Windows. With an OEM machine (HP, Compaq,
etc.) you will be restoring to out-of-the-box condition, which may or may
not involve CDs or DVDs. Check Help or the manufacturer's website for
additional information.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Lurker" <Lurker@home.com> wrote in message
> I have a similar problem in that ie 8 is directed to unrelated sights.

All
> my anti-malware/antivirus programs have been disabled with the exception

of
> CA Antivirus which shows nothing. When I try to start a malware program I
> get a message "Windows cannot access the specific device,path,or file.

You
> may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". I have

checked
> the properties of the various programs and they are set to be used by
> anyone. Windows Defender is dissabled as is

Malwarebytes,SuperAnti-spyware,
> hiJack This and Glary Utilities. I can run an online scan as I keep

getting
> redirected. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

in
> advance.

> > Hi,
> > You have malware installed. Work through these steps:
> > 1. Scan with Windows Defender - already installed on Vista - free

download
> > for XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

> > 2. Run the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
> > This is not a wide-spectrum tool, but is worth running.
> >
> > 3. Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
> > http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
> >
> > 4. Install and run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware from
> > http://www.superantispyware.com/
> >
> > 5. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove

all
> > malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.
> >
> > Aumha:
> > http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> > Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> >
> > SpywareHammer:

http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
> > Read:

http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
> > then

http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0

> > Bleeping Computer:
> > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

> > "gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Form some reason now, when I do a search and click a

> > link....www.google.com
> >> shows up in the address bar briefly and then I get forwarded to some

> > unrelated website. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

Lurker

Re: IE 8 not going to correct page
Don, thanks for all your help. I decided to try a reinstall of winXP not a
clean one. The result is that after reloading mbam, it is now working.
Thanks again.
> [...]

>> > http://www.superantispyware.com/
>> >
>> > 5. If there is *any* reason to suspect that these tools didn't remove

> all
>> > malware, visit one of these sites, register and follow the protocol.
>> >
>> > Aumha:
>> > http://www.aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
>> > Start at http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>> >
>> > SpywareHammer:
>> >

> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
>> > Read:
>> >

> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
>> > then
>> >

> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0
>> >
>> > Bleeping Computer:
>> > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

>> > "gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > link....www.google.com

>> > unrelated website. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

[You'll be back....]

Lurker wrote:
> Don, thanks for all your help. I decided to try a reinstall of winXP not
> clean one. The result is that after reloading mbam, it is now working.
> Thanks again.
>
> "Don Varnau" wrote:a
>> Hi,
>> The malware removal experts at the forums I listed may be able to help
>> with
>> techniques like renaming programs and running programs in safe mode. You,
>> yourself, may be able to run some of the malware removal programs in safe
>> mode.
>>
>> If you have not *always* had up-to-date security programs installed (CA
>> or
>> others) you probably have multiple, difficult to remove, infections and
>> the
>> best course of action would be to save your data (documents, images,
>> music,
>> etc) and do a clean install of Windows. With an OEM machine (HP, Compaq,
>> etc.) you will be restoring to out-of-the-box condition, which may or may
>> not involve CDs or DVDs. Check Help or the manufacturer's website for
>> additional information.
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Lurker" <Lurker@home.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a similar problem in that ie 8 is directed to unrelated sights.
>>> All
>>> my anti-malware/antivirus programs have been disabled with the exception
>>> of CA Antivirus which shows nothing. When I try to start a malware
>>> program I
>>> get a message "Windows cannot access the specific device,path,or file.
>>> You
>>> may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". I have
>>> checked the properties of the various programs and they are set to be
>>> used by anyone. Windows Defender is dissabled as is

>> Malwarebytes,SuperAnti-spyware,
>>> hiJack This and Glary Utilities. I can run an online scan as I keep
>>> getting redirected. Any help in this matter will be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>> Thanks in advance.

>>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>>>>

>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&boa rd=10.0
>>>>

>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=87.0
>>>>

>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...5&top ic=88.0

Lurker

Re: IE 8 not going to correct page
Thanks for all your help Mr. Varnau, the beast is up and running like a
charm !!!!