Search Providers Don't Make Suggestions

Boris

Search Providers Don't Make Suggestions
Hi,

I'm running XP Pro SP3, with IE7. Whether I set my search provider for
Google or Bing, neither makes 'suggestions' when I type in the search
field. When I first set up IE7 today, it asked if I wanted Google to makes
suggestions, and I said yes. But, it doesn't.

How do I get this to work. It works on my other pcs, and I like it.

Thanks.
Don Varnau

Re: Search Providers Don't Make Suggestions
Hi,
Go to www.google.com Click on Settings> Search settings> Query suggestions>
Provide query suggestions in the search box> Save settings

For www.bing.com, it's Preferences> Search suggestions> Turn suggestions on>
Save settings

If cookies are being blocked or deleted periodically, these settings won't
persist.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Boris" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:Xns9CABBF3AE54Dnospamnospaminvalid@188.40.43. 213...
> Hi,
>
> I'm running XP Pro SP3, with IE7. Whether I set my search provider for
> Google or Bing, neither makes 'suggestions' when I type in the search
> field. When I first set up IE7 today, it asked if I wanted Google to

makes
> suggestions, and I said yes. But, it doesn't.
>
> How do I get this to work. It works on my other pcs, and I like it.
>
> Thanks.

Boris

Re: Search Providers Don't Make Suggestions
"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in

> Hi,
> Go to www.google.com Click on Settings> Search settings> Query
> suggestions> Provide query suggestions in the search box> Save
> settings
>
> For www.bing.com, it's Preferences> Search suggestions> Turn
> suggestions on> Save settings
>
> If cookies are being blocked or deleted periodically, these settings
> won't persist.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Boris" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:Xns9CABBF3AE54Dnospamnospaminvalid@188.40.43. 213...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running XP Pro SP3, with IE7. Whether I set my search provider
>> for Google or Bing, neither makes 'suggestions' when I type in the
>> search field. When I first set up IE7 today, it asked if I wanted
>> Google to

> makes
>> suggestions, and I said yes. But, it doesn't.
>>
>> How do I get this to work. It works on my other pcs, and I like it.
>>
>> Thanks.

Hi,

Hmmm...I'm not blocking cookies, and both search providers are set to
return suggestions, that's why this is so mysterious. If I use FFox, all
search providers provide suggestions.

Don Varnau

Re: Search Providers Don't Make Suggestions
Hi,
Try the down arrow to the right of the search box> Manage Search Providers>
select a provider and down below should be the option to enable/disable

> Hi,
>
> Hmmm...I'm not blocking cookies, and both search providers are set to
> return suggestions, that's why this is so mysterious. If I use FFox, all
> search providers provide suggestions.

> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in
>
> > Hi,
> > Go to www.google.com Click on Settings> Search settings> Query
> > suggestions> Provide query suggestions in the search box> Save
> > settings
> >
> > For www.bing.com, it's Preferences> Search suggestions> Turn
> > suggestions on> Save settings
> >
> > If cookies are being blocked or deleted periodically, these settings
> > won't persist.

> > "Boris" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:Xns9CABBF3AE54Dnospamnospaminvalid@188.40.43. 213...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm running XP Pro SP3, with IE7. Whether I set my search provider
> >> for Google or Bing, neither makes 'suggestions' when I type in the
> >> search field. When I first set up IE7 today, it asked if I wanted
> >> Google to

> > makes
> >> suggestions, and I said yes. But, it doesn't.
> >>
> >> How do I get this to work. It works on my other pcs, and I like it.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

Boris

> Hi,
> Try the down arrow to the right of the search box> Manage Search
> Providers> select a provider and down below should be the option to
> enable/disable suggestions.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Boris" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hmmm...I'm not blocking cookies, and both search providers are set to
>> return suggestions, that's why this is so mysterious. If I use FFox,
>> all search providers provide suggestions.

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > Go to www.google.com Click on Settings> Search settings> Query
>> > suggestions> Provide query suggestions in the search box> Save
>> > settings
>> >
>> > For www.bing.com, it's Preferences> Search suggestions> Turn
>> > suggestions on> Save settings
>> >
>> > If cookies are being blocked or deleted periodically, these
>> > settings won't persist.

>> > "Boris" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> > news:Xns9CABBF3AE54Dnospamnospaminvalid@188.40.43. 213...

>> > makes

I have my search provider (sp) set as Bing. If I click the down arrow
to the right of the search box, I get the other sp options, and

Find More Providers - which gets me what you'd think, more sps
Change Seach Default - if I click this, I get
Find More Providers (makes me laugh)

If I set my sp as google, same thing.

I looked into the temp. internet file folder at the cookies, and there
are cookies there for bing and google, which are current, to the minute.

By the way, I just asked around the office, and we all have the same
thing going on. FFox is ok, but IE7 doesn't suggest. And, I have this
issue on my pcs at home.

Don Varnau

Re: Search Providers Don't Make Suggestions
Sorry, you're right. You asked about IE7. I was thinking of IE8. The search
box in IE7 didn't allow search providers to provide suggestions.
This feature began with IE8.

A White Paper for Developers
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ion%20Page.pdf

> I have my search provider (sp) set as Bing. If I click the down arrow
> to the right of the search box, I get the other sp options, and
>
> Find More Providers - which gets me what you'd think, more sps
> Change Seach Default - if I click this, I get
> Find More Providers (makes me laugh)
>
> If I set my sp as google, same thing.
>
> I looked into the temp. internet file folder at the cookies, and there
> are cookies there for bing and google, which are current, to the minute.
>
> By the way, I just asked around the office, and we all have the same
> thing going on. FFox is ok, but IE7 doesn't suggest. And, I have this
> issue on my pcs at home.

> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in
>
> > Hi,
> > Try the down arrow to the right of the search box> Manage Search
> > Providers> select a provider and down below should be the option to
> > enable/disable suggestions.
> >
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "Boris" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Hmmm...I'm not blocking cookies, and both search providers are set to
> >> return suggestions, that's why this is so mysterious. If I use FFox,
> >> all search providers provide suggestions.

> >> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in

Boris

> Sorry, you're right. You asked about IE7. I was thinking of IE8. The
> search box in IE7 didn't allow search providers to provide
> suggestions. This feature began with IE8.
>
> A White Paper for Developers
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...E-4234-9F07-33
> 53990A53FF/Search%20Suggestion%20Providers%20-%20Developer%20Series%20I
> nformation%20Page.pdf
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Boris" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have my search provider (sp) set as Bing. If I click the down
>> arrow to the right of the search box, I get the other sp options, and
>>
>> Find More Providers - which gets me what you'd think, more sps
>> Change Seach Default - if I click this, I get
>> Find More Providers (makes me laugh)
>>
>> If I set my sp as google, same thing.
>>
>> I looked into the temp. internet file folder at the cookies, and
>> there are cookies there for bing and google, which are current, to
>> the minute.
>>
>> By the way, I just asked around the office, and we all have the same
>> thing going on. FFox is ok, but IE7 doesn't suggest. And, I have
>> this issue on my pcs at home.

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > Try the down arrow to the right of the search box> Manage Search
>> > Providers> select a provider and down below should be the option to
>> > enable/disable suggestions.
>> >
>> > Don
>> > [MS MVP- IE]

>> > "Boris" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

That's ok. At least I know I'm not going crazy.