Acrobat reader

Len B

Acrobat reader
Since upgrading to IE8, PDFs no longer load into my browser.
Instead I get the 'missing image' icon on an otherwise blank
background.

AcroIEHlprObj Class appears (enabled) in the Toolbars and
Extensions panel with one of the quickest load times of
all at 0.05 sec.

I had a quick sniff around the advanced settings without finding
an obvious culprit.

I can (and have been) download(ing) the PDFs and they run as
expected locally.

Any ideas what might be happening, anyone.

--
Len
remove nothing for valid email address.

rob^_^

Re: Acrobat reader
http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsb07-01.html

Adobe - Security Advisories : Update available for vulnerabilities ...An
update is available for a cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in
versions 7.0.8 and earlier of Adobe Reader and Acrobat that could allow
remote ...
http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsb07-01.html - Cached - Similar
APSA09-01 - Buffer overflow issue in versions 9.0 and earlier of ...19 Feb
2009 ... A critical vulnerability has been identified in Adobe Reader 9 and
Acrobat 9 and earlier versions. This vulnerability would cause the ...
http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsa09-01.html - Cached - Similar

Show more results from www.adobe.com
US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA09

"Len B" <gonehome@internode0.on0.net> wrote in message
> Since upgrading to IE8, PDFs no longer load into my browser.
> Instead I get the 'missing image' icon on an otherwise blank
> background.
>
> AcroIEHlprObj Class appears (enabled) in the Toolbars and
> Extensions panel with one of the quickest load times of
> all at 0.05 sec.
>
> I had a quick sniff around the advanced settings without finding
> an obvious culprit.
>
> I can (and have been) download(ing) the PDFs and they run as
> expected locally.
>
> Any ideas what might be happening, anyone.
>
> --
> Len
> __________________________________________________ ____
> remove nothing for valid email address.

Re: Acrobat reader
1. Your headers (Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3598) tell us that the
WinXP SP3 computer is not fully patched. Check-in at Windows Update first,
then enable Automatic Updates to stay fully patched.

2. Speaking of not being fully patched, are you running Acrobat or Adobe
Reader v9.1.3 or earlier? =>
http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsb09-15.html

Len B wrote:
> Since upgrading to IE8, PDFs no longer load into my browser.
> Instead I get the 'missing image' icon on an otherwise blank
> background.
>
> AcroIEHlprObj Class appears (enabled) in the Toolbars and
> Extensions panel with one of the quickest load times of
> all at 0.05 sec.
>
> I had a quick sniff around the advanced settings without finding
> an obvious culprit.
>
> I can (and have been) download(ing) the PDFs and they run as
> expected locally.
>
> Any ideas what might be happening, anyone.

Len B

Re: Acrobat reader
I have updates set to download and notify.

1. Microsoft Update reports that SP3 not installed but all other
critical updates are installed. There are 5 optional updates
available but I don't want/need any of those.
2. I am still running Acrobat Reader 5.1.0 from Sep 2002. I have
no need of anything later.

I will now go check out the links you and rob provided.
Thanks.
--
| 1. Your headers (Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3598) tell us that
the
| WinXP SP3 computer is not fully patched. Check-in at Windows Update
first,
| then enable Automatic Updates to stay fully patched.
|
| 2. Speaking of not being fully patched, are you running Acrobat or Adobe
| Reader v9.1.3 or earlier? =>
| http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsb09-15.html
|

| Len B wrote:
| > Since upgrading to IE8, PDFs no longer load into my browser.
| > Instead I get the 'missing image' icon on an otherwise blank
| > background.
| >
| > AcroIEHlprObj Class appears (enabled) in the Toolbars and
| > Extensions panel with one of the quickest load times of
| > all at 0.05 sec.
| >
| > I had a quick sniff around the advanced settings without finding
| > an obvious culprit.
| >
| > I can (and have been) download(ing) the PDFs and they run as
| > expected locally.
| >
| > Any ideas what might be happening, anyone.

Re: Acrobat reader
A1. Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
Update website will not be available after 12 April 2010 until SP3 is
installed.

A2. That's as risky as not being fully-patched at Windows Update! It's not
even called Acrobat Reader anymore and v5.1.0 is subject to innumerable
security vulnerabilities. Uninstall v5.1.0 then install Adobe Reader
v9.2.0, Foxit Reader (free; not a resource hog), or another alternate PDF
reader.

Len B wrote:
> I have updates set to download and notify.
>
> 1. Microsoft Update reports that SP3 not installed but all other
> critical updates are installed. There are 5 optional updates
> available but I don't want/need any of those.
> 2. I am still running Acrobat Reader 5.1.0 from Sep 2002. I have
> no need of anything later.
>
> I will now go check out the links you and rob provided.
> Thanks.
>> 1. Your headers (Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3598) tell us that
>> the
>> WinXP SP3 computer is not fully patched. Check-in at Windows Update
>> first,
>> then enable Automatic Updates to stay fully patched.
>>
>> 2. Speaking of not being fully patched, are you running Acrobat or Adobe
>> Reader v9.1.3 or earlier? =>
>> http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsb09-15.html
>>

>> Len B wrote:
>>> Since upgrading to IE8, PDFs no longer load into my browser.
>>> Instead I get the 'missing image' icon on an otherwise blank
>>> background.
>>>
>>> AcroIEHlprObj Class appears (enabled) in the Toolbars and
>>> Extensions panel with one of the quickest load times of
>>> all at 0.05 sec.
>>>
>>> I had a quick sniff around the advanced settings without finding
>>> an obvious culprit.
>>>
>>> I can (and have been) download(ing) the PDFs and they run as
>>> expected locally.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what might be happening, anyone.

Len B

Re: Acrobat reader
Comments inline.

--
| A1. Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
| security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
| Update website will not be available after 12 April 2010 until SP3 is
| installed.

Wow. I was unaware of that. I thought that SP3 was just a rollup. I thought
that you could skip it and still get the updates. On other machines I have
installed SP3 and things broke. I decided to skip it on this machine. Did
you
get that from a mailing list or is there a bulletin/release on it?

| A2. That's as risky as not being fully-patched at Windows Update! It's
not
| even called Acrobat Reader anymore and v5.1.0 is subject to innumerable
| security vulnerabilities. Uninstall v5.1.0 then install Adobe Reader
| v9.2.0, Foxit Reader (free; not a resource hog), or another alternate PDF
| reader.

Foxit downloaded already. I installed it on a client's machine and used it
for a while but had to go back to Adobe because it didn't work with their
printer driver. Neither did Adobe work with it but the manufacturer had
devised a workaround for Adobe. Sill waiting for an updated driver.

| Len B wrote:
| > I have updates set to download and notify.
| >
| > 1. Microsoft Update reports that SP3 not installed but all other
| > critical updates are installed. There are 5 optional updates
| > available but I don't want/need any of those.
| > 2. I am still running Acrobat Reader 5.1.0 from Sep 2002. I have
| > no need of anything later.
| >
| > I will now go check out the links you and rob provided.
| > Thanks.
| >> 1. Your headers (Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3598) tell us
that
| >> the
| >> WinXP SP3 computer is not fully patched. Check-in at Windows Update
| >> first,
| >> then enable Automatic Updates to stay fully patched.
| >>
| >> 2. Speaking of not being fully patched, are you running Acrobat or
Adobe
| >> Reader v9.1.3 or earlier? =>
| >> http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsb09-15.html

Re: Acrobat reader
A1. See the entries for WinXP SP2 and SP3 in the Windows section at the
bottom of this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifesupsps

A2. As long as no Adobe (Acrobat) Reader other than v9.2.0 is installed (and
Foxit Reader is v3.1.2.1013), I'm satisfied. <w>