Two Instances of IE opening on laptop

John

Two Instances of IE opening on laptop
I have just set up a Wi-Fi network at home so that I can use the files on my
desktop pc from my laptop. On my desktop pc I went to Permissions to allow
sharing of the directories and files in my Users directory.

The problem is that when I now open Internet Explorer the laptop opens two
instances and neither of the two will respond to mouse clicks or key board
commands and the only way to close them is to use Task Manager End Task.

There is no problem with opening Internet Explorer on the desktop pc as only
one opens.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Don Varnau

Re: Two Instances of IE opening on laptop
Hi,
1. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- Vista SP1, XP SP2 ,etc.)
2. Which version of Internet Explorer?
3. What's your IE homepage?
4. Is your current homepage in Trusted Sites?
5 Does the problem persist if you set a blank homepage?
-
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"John" <john_arnott@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just set up a Wi-Fi network at home so that I can use the files on

my
> desktop pc from my laptop. On my desktop pc I went to Permissions to

allow
> sharing of the directories and files in my Users directory.
>
> The problem is that when I now open Internet Explorer the laptop opens two
> instances and neither of the two will respond to mouse clicks or key board
> commands and the only way to close them is to use Task Manager End Task.
>
> There is no problem with opening Internet Explorer on the desktop pc as

only
> one opens.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> John

John

Re: Two Instances of IE opening on laptop
Vista SP2
IE8
MSN
No
Tried Blank still opens two
Tried turning off desktop pc and using just laptop and it still opens two

> Hi,
> 1. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- Vista SP1, XP SP2 ,etc.)
> 2. Which version of Internet Explorer?
> 3. What's your IE homepage?
> 4. Is your current homepage in Trusted Sites?
> 5 Does the problem persist if you set a blank homepage?
> -
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "John" <john_arnott@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have just set up a Wi-Fi network at home so that I can use the files on

> my
>> desktop pc from my laptop. On my desktop pc I went to Permissions to

> allow
>> sharing of the directories and files in my Users directory.
>>
>> The problem is that when I now open Internet Explorer the laptop opens
>> two
>> instances and neither of the two will respond to mouse clicks or key
>> board
>> commands and the only way to close them is to use Task Manager End Task.
>>
>> There is no problem with opening Internet Explorer on the desktop pc as

> only
>> one opens.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> John

Gordon

> Vista SP2
> IE8
> MSN
> No
> Tried Blank still opens two
> Tried turning off desktop pc and using just laptop and it still opens two

When you say "opens two" do you mean two separate windows, or two tabs?

John

Re: Two Instances of IE opening on laptop
Two separate windows with two tabs displaying at the bottom of the screen in
the task bar.

John

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "John" <john_arnott@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Vista SP2
>> IE8
>> MSN
>> No
>> Tried Blank still opens two
>> Tried turning off desktop pc and using just laptop and it still opens two

> When you say "opens two" do you mean two separate windows, or two tabs?

Don Varnau

Re: Two Instances of IE opening on laptop
See if a browser add-on is causing the problem.
Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
If the problem goes away, a browser add-on is causing it.

For troubleshooting information see:
IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"John" <john_arnott@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Vista SP2
> IE8
> MSN
> No
> Tried Blank still opens two
> Tried turning off desktop pc and using just laptop and it still opens two

> > Hi,
> > 1. Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- Vista SP1, XP SP2

,etc.)
> > 2. Which version of Internet Explorer?
> > 3. What's your IE homepage?
> > 4. Is your current homepage in Trusted Sites?
> > 5 Does the problem persist if you set a blank homepage?

> > "John" <john_arnott@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have just set up a Wi-Fi network at home so that I can use the files

on
> > my
> >> desktop pc from my laptop. On my desktop pc I went to Permissions to

> > allow
> >> sharing of the directories and files in my Users directory.
> >>
> >> The problem is that when I now open Internet Explorer the laptop opens
> >> two
> >> instances and neither of the two will respond to mouse clicks or key
> >> board
> >> commands and the only way to close them is to use Task Manager End

Task.

> >> There is no problem with opening Internet Explorer on the desktop pc as

> > only one opens.
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> John

John

Re: Two Instances of IE opening on laptop
It worked - opened with out add ons and only one session opened.

Now need to work out which add on causes this to occur.

Thanks

John